Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Power Cable For Amp
Hey guys, I'm going to be wiring up my subwoofer/amplifier right away, and need to know what the best (and easiest) way is to run the power wire to the battery. I've read about drilling through the firewall beside the steering column.. I'd like it if I didnt have to do any drilling though.

I've also seen some people run it through the unused part of the grommet in the door jamb and up under the hood, over the firewall. Do you need to drill at all doing it this way? Also, is the wire safe from all moving parts? I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to wiring stereos so bear with me.

Also, can you run the remote wire from the amp to any switched source to get the amp to turn on with the car turning on? Or do I need to tap into one of the wires on the back of the cd player? (I'm using the factory deck).
I drilled through the firewall on the passenger side..actually I should say my dad drilled the hole for me lol
It's easier of course to tap into one of the wires at the back of the deck to use as a remote turn on, unless you feel like mounting another switch somewhere.

And there's really no need to drill thru the firewall. There's plenty of openings in it already for cables to come thru that lead into the steering column and what not. Best thing is to pull back the carpet on the inside a little, and see where there are breaks in the wall.... then put a coathanger thru, attach the power cable to the other end of the hanger, and pull it thru. Hide the wire under the door sills/carpet and you're done. I'll see if I can take a pic of the place I pulled my power cable thru this afternoon.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
If you need to find a remote turn-on lead on the back of the Factory head unit, drop me a PM. I found a wire that works as the trigger.
My other ride is your Mom
Ya there should be a hole somewhere but I hope your running thin gauge cable because it gets real hard with 2 gauge!
MAlby7,Sep 30 2004, 04:04 PM Wrote:Ya there should be a hole somewhere but I hope your running thin gauge cable because it gets real hard with 2 gauge!
True.. mine's 8 ga
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
MAlby7,Sep 30 2004, 09:04 PM Wrote:Ya there should be a hole somewhere but I hope your running thin gauge cable because it gets real hard with 2 gauge!
i was able to fit 2ga in my focus without any drilling. i think it went through the clutch hole, cuz i have an auto. all i know is it came out behind the fuse box in the engine area.
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Cable theory 8 2,301 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Last Post: habmann
  Running Power Wire Crazirich 19 4,189 03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Last Post: microbunny
  Power Cable Options funny_canuck 10 3,661 03-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Last Post: xappie