Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Rear End? Rwd Conv.

Hi,

I am currently planning my RWD conversion, I will keep the zetec power plant, mate a T5 onto it with a custom drive shaft.

I need to find the best IRS rear end possible. Brand doesnt matter to me.

it need to be the proper width and have after market support. I dont wanna machine the shaft.

I was thinking a subaru rear end or a Nissan???. (suspension will get reworked anyway)

anyone have good suggestions?

thanks,

-Marc
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
So you want to have independent rear suspension.......Im lost on this subject but want to learn.

I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
well they use a ford 8.8 in the conversion kit how about a cobra or a super-coupe 8.8 irs
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
yeah bud, whynot the cobra? Or are you just looking for a list of alternatives to consider.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
yeah, alternatives as the cobra IRS will most likely be XXXXXXX-pensive to get....

someone said miata???

-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
The rear track on a 'new age' Impreza is 58.3" and the Focus is 58.5" if that helps?

I don't know how much difference there would be between STi, WRX, RS & TS Impreza's however Subaru usually tries to keep unique parts to a minimum they are all likely the same? The Forester probably has the same parts too.

STi:

<a href='http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com/CatalogData/Images/2004Drivetrain.jpg'>[Image: 2004Drivetrain.jpg]</a>

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
a subaru rear end would work. i've seen the rear end on a 91 t-bird break pretty easy with any major power.
'03 Focus SVT
8.8 is around $1000 without irs
I found some for sale online used

IRS out of a cobra for 500$ usd

not too bad, I just need to find one thats not sold then im good. B)
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
the cobra IRS is your best possible option
it has already been done by a few places so you have people to call for info and tech help if needed!
plus the Cobra IRS has an extensive aftermarket and the parts will always be readily available and A LOT cheaper than some of the other options listed above!
There was aftermarket support for the IRS in the t-birds. Looks like I deleated all my t-bird links but look on SCCOA.com or TCCOA.com for info on t-bird parts.
i will be getting a rear end from a late '80s lincoln mark(whatever) and i think they have an independant rear and it is an 8.8, let me know and we can work something out.
'02 CD Silver SVT
All the options
#3731 out of 4788

'85 Mustang GT
The Cobra IRS is very compromised, given it was designed to fit into the space of a live axle. It's pretty bad, that's why people pull them out of Mustangs and put in live axles.

I'd suggest trying to get one off a Jag X-type, since it's modern, designed from the ground up, and might even fit well since it's control-blade based.
P-51, thanks for the tip, I located 1 in Erie at the wrecker, I will call them and see if I can get all the rear end, they list the suspension with disks for 400$ so maybe less than a grand for the whole rear end.

somone gave me a transmission this morning, a 95 svt T5 - 6spd. it come with 3 bell housing, so I will chose the best suited for me.

:D
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
stay away from the Cobra IRS marc u know that Mark broke his in his drive way in his 03 cobra jsut from a little bit of wheel hop :(
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
French Connection, I would like to know what bell housing you think you will be using. We have a repair to do on a 7 and are thinking of swapping out the 1700cc and going to a 2.0 Zetec. I pretty sure the 7 is running the T-5 tranny. Anyone know if the T-5 and the T-56 have the same mount points or are they a different beast all together?

DRyanC
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame
DRyanC,Sep 30 2004, 01:09 PM Wrote:French Connection, I would like to know what bell housing you think you will be using. We have a repair to do on a 7 and are thinking of swapping out the 1700cc and going to a 2.0 Zetec. I pretty sure the 7 is running the T-5 tranny. Anyone know if the T-5 and the T-56 have the same mount points or are they a different beast all together?

DRyanC
the T5-6 is 2 inch longer than the regular T5, the bracket are different than the regular T-5, they bolt at the same place on the car thought, to mate it to the zetec, you need an adaptor plate and a shim for the shaft.

personaly, I will be using the bell housing for the small block and adaptor plate.

hope this helps.

-Marc
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold