Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Audio Question
Here's my dilema guys. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the sound system in my car. Right now I've already got a Alpine 9886 head unit. My problem is this is it better to buy an aftermarket amp and cheaper speakers to run off the amp or buy a much better set of speakers and run them off the aftermark deck?

The parts I'm looking at are:

Phoenix gold RSD 500.4 amp.

Phoenix gold RSD 6.5" componets (cheaper speakers)

or

Alpine Type X 6.5" Reference components.

I've already decided that I'm getting a 600.1 mono amp to replace my old phoenix gold amp that died on my a few weeks ago.

TIA.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

if you want to save some cash, just run the new speakers off of the head unit for now and always easy to add an amp to power those speakers. Also I would just run the front speakers off of an amp and leave the rear on the deck power.
'03 Focus SVT
Better amp on lower end speakers is the best way
bad amp = distortion = blown speakers.
The Type X compnets of the deck would be no offence but a waste, the amount of distortion in an internal amp on a deck is 10 times that of a good amp. Good speakers need good power, especially the tweeters, they will blow pretty quick with distortion. Ive installed a lot of systems and I heard $80 set of speakers sound amazing using a clean signal of a great amp and proper set up of the deck. Dont get me wrong a higher end speaker would sound better but the amp really is the key.
David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
distortion comes when crank up loud..
that is when underpowers speaker, the source distorts and pop speakers by holding cone for certain amount of seconds to produce heat and it will melt voice coil..

overpowers also kill speaker by pushing cone too much in/out and also too much heat/stress..it will torn spider and stuff..

amp is to support not to distort..
deck output(internal amp) is 50w x 4 but it is less than 15w when measured..

when you change speakers, you will have better sound compare to stock but will get distorted when crank up loud..

alpine x speaker is waste if you are not running amp to it..
ref series is 75w rms, get 2 channel amp puts out 75w~100rms range and adjust it not overpowering..

and tune is must.
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
So things changed a little bit. By the time I got around the ordering, the mono-block i wanted was available anymore. So I ended up getting a 500W Alpine mono-block instead.

And I went with the Alpine speakers, I may put an amp in for them latter on this summer, pending the funds for that.

So this weekend will probably be when all this get installed.

Thanks for the help guys.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

too bad i didnt see this earlier... i have a 600w RMS rockford mono block FS

good to see youve found some thing, make sure to put those speakers to good use by amping them!
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
According to the DHL tracking number the amp and speakers should be showing up at my place today. :D

So far, audiosavings has been a great place to deal with, especially because they ship everything DHL express so its overnight delivery.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jl Audio 10w7 Question MAlby7 1 1,288 05-10-2004, 05:25 AM
Last Post: GlennH