Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Stock Antennta
Anyone have a suggestion to replace the huge factory antenna on my 2005 ST?? In my parkade at work it hits the rafters and smacks down hard on the roof...plus its kind of ugly!!

NEo
If it's the same as the 00-04 antennas, you can replace it with a variety of different shorty alluminum antennas. I have the ZX3tuning antenna and I love it.. and they're selling fairly cheap now.

You can always cut down the stock one, but I like the shorty alluminum one because the fat part of the antenna is still in good proportion to the skinny part.
Don't bother with aftermarket antennas, they all tend to fade and also have a tendency to get stolen. Make your own, refer to the thead below that I typed up.... username 'S2' on the site....

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=15879

There is an updated HOW TO on the bottom of the first page.....
Thanks for the input everyone. Ill have to take a look.

Neo
Put the money towards something better and just cut down the antenna. I got mine cut and it looks pro.
S2 Steeda,Sep 13 2004, 02:38 PM Wrote:Don't bother with aftermarket antennas, they all tend to fade and also have a tendency to get stolen.
Mine is still as black as it was when I bought it, but I take it off and put the stock antenna back on for winter.

That's another problem with the aluminum antennas though: they dont flex at all so if you're brushing snow off your roof and you bang your antenna it can break off (along with the threads from the base, so you have to replace the base assembly too).

It's also a style thing.. you can get shorty antennas in a variety of styles and colors (although anodized blue and red tend to fade pretty quick to baby-blue and pink, respectively). Take a look around and see what you like, for sure..
Yeah I have heard the black ones seem to last longer (the finish)....
Done and changed. Thanks a lot for the help. Looks far better.

Neo
NeoOiler,Sep 13 2004, 02:43 PM Wrote:Anyone have a suggestion to replace the huge factory antenna on my 2005 ST?? In my parkade at work it hits the rafters and smacks down hard on the roof...plus its kind of ugly!!

NEo
I have the same problem with the tree in my driveway, must modify, the 05's are the same, oh boy a new project for tomorrow!!!
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
Updated Writeup....

Make Your Own Shorty Antenna

1 - Remove the antenna from the base, is unscrews.

2 - Find out how short you want your antenna to be, use a 'razor blade knife to begin the cutting process, once you cut around the antenna shaft, use a hacksaw, works perfectly. If you don't have one, continue cutting with the razor blade knife. It will work also but will take a bit longer. Once it's cut, use a metal file to smooth out the edges of the new cut.

3 - Put the tip of the antenna (the part with the rubber end on it) in boiling water to soften up the tip. After a few minutes or so, it should slip off. You will have to pull HARD on it, put some pliers underneath the tip on the shaft (doesn't matter if you scratch it up, it's going in the garbage when your done anyway). It will come off, just keep dumping the water out and replacing it with more boiling water. (this will take the majority of the time for this mod).

4 - Once the tip is removed, put the removed tip back in some boiling water for a minute or so.

5 - Remove the tip from the boiling water and slide it back on the newly cut end of your antenna. Your going to have to put some muscle into it. The lower you cut your antenna, the harder this will be cause the entire antenna shaft is tapered. Use your thumb and push it straignt down onto the new antenna.

6 - Screw the modded shorty antenna back onto your car.

Thing NOT to do..... Don't use tin snips or any cross action cutting tool, some guys have done this and it caused the antenna shaft to actually flatten out as well as cause the casing to split. A pipe cutter works awesome also. Using a razor blade to cut though the casing first, then finishing off with a hacksaw and a file to make the newly cut edge smooth seems to be the best route.
On top of it the extra part you cut off makes a nice little weapon for whipping pppl :lol:
Has anyone noticed any reception problems
after cutting down thier antenna ?
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
I took a trip to BC not that long ago into the mountains, no reception problems any worse then normal in there. In the cities, Sask, Alberta, no difference or problems at all.
Penwraith,Sep 15 2004, 03:22 AM Wrote:Has anyone noticed any reception problems
Problems hell ya, I find that the new radio in the focus has crappy reception compared to the older ones, all the newer for radios do, the 04 delivery truck, the new Freestar I've driven a bunch of times, they have trouble with easy stations, and lose signal going under large over passes too!!! This is not a focus only problem. It seems the new radios IMO have crappy reception, just gotta put my deck in!!

Penwraith,Sep 15 2004, 03:22 AM Wrote:Has anyone noticed any reception problems
Problems hell ya, I find that the new radio in the focus has crappy reception compared to the older ones, all the newer for radios do, the 04 delivery truck, the new Freestar I've driven a bunch of times, they have trouble with easy stations, and lose signal going under large over passes too!!! This is not a focus only problem. It seems the new radios IMO have crappy reception, just gotta put my deck in!!

Mine is an 05 and same antenna. Since I have cut it down no reception changes that I have noticed. I am in Edmonton so the signal is stronger then in the country.

Thanks again for the tutorial.

NEO