Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Opinions/review
I'm looking at new performance summer tires to replace my current Contisport Contact that came originally on the car and the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Star Spec tires really caught my eye. Fact is that last year , lapping at Dunnville I was able to keep up with this Audi TT through the turns , but in november at Mosport DDT , the same Audi just left me in the dirt , period. When I ask him what did he do to his car , the owner pointed out these tires . He said price point is excellent and performance is top notch.Anybody have an opinion on these?
Size needed
Sry read it worng thought you were looking for pricing. Give the size if you want that too.
Seem like good choices I do like the ContiSportContactâ„¢ Vmax, they are the makers of my Generals and they are also the first Y rated tire plus a world record holder for the fast production tire in the world to date.
You get what you pay for.
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...actvmax_en.html
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Gabriel have you looked into Potenza RE-01R's? they are on MAJOR sale right now because they are comming out with RE-011 and i can tell you from personal experience they are one of the best tires out there......get them while you get.

Tires23 sells them
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I will go for the same size the manufacturer installed , 215/45/17 . I was actually tempted by the Tirerack price , the Dunlops are 133$ US a piece .Price is also a factor in my decision .The Potenza RE-01R are much more expensive .Last year I got a set of Contisport Contact 3 but I'm keeping them for day-to day driving . I got them for 149$ US each . I will use the Dunlops for the track . I loved my original Conti's but they're just worn now so I'll have to be more careful on the track if I don't want to take the tow truck back home .
But question is : has anybody used the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec or know someone who's tried them ? I wonder how do they behave and how long did they last .
oh well , I guess no luck , no one knows , then I'll have to try them myself to find out
Gabriel,Apr 7 2009, 05:52 PM Wrote:I will go for the same size the manufacturer installed , 215/45/17&nbsp; . I was actually tempted by the Tirerack price , the Dunlops are 133$ US a piece .Price is also a factor in my decision .The&nbsp; Potenza RE-01R&nbsp; are much more expensive .Last year I got a set of Contisport Contact 3 but I'm keeping them for day-to day driving . I got them for 149$ US each . I will use the Dunlops for the track . I loved my original Conti's but they're just worn now so I'll have to be more careful on the track if I don't want to take the tow truck back home .
But question is : has anybody used the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec or know someone who's tried them ? I wonder how do they behave and how long did they last .
[right][snapback]284538[/snapback][/right]

Just in case you weren't aware, you should know that in addition to the 133 tirerack charges for the tire ... they will also collect the following (based on 4 tires):

Shipping to Canada: 106 USD
GST: 30 USD
PST: 56 USD
Duty: 37 USD
Brokerage: 30 USD

So, in USD that tire that began at 133 is now 198 - and still US dollars - with exchange that's more than 250 per tire ... there's gotta be a cheaper Canadian alternative.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
215/45 R17

Fuzion

Fuzion ZR1 ( $160 Inst/Bal )

General

Altimax HP ( $170 Inst/Bal )

Exclaim UHP ( $160 Inst/Bal )

Kumho

Ecsta AST KU25 ( $135 Inst/Bal )

Ecsta ASX KU21 ( $155 Inst/Bal )

Toyo

Proxes 4 ( $190 Inst/Bal )

Toyo T1R ( $223 Inst/Bal )

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star S ($220 Instal/Bal * 1 week to order * )

Continental ContiSport Contactâ„¢ Vmax ( * Only Available in 19&quot; * )

Continental ContiSportContactâ„¢ 2 ($272 Inst/Bal * W Rated * )

Continental ContiSportContactâ„¢ 3 ($267 Inst/Bal * W Rated * )

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's ($251 Inst/Bal * Not Available * )
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

ZTWsquared,Apr 8 2009, 12:23 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 7 2009, 05:52 PM Wrote:I will go for the same size the manufacturer installed , 215/45/17  . I was actually tempted by the Tirerack price , the Dunlops are 133$ US a piece .Price is also a factor in my decision .The  Potenza RE-01R  are much more expensive .Last year I got a set of Contisport Contact 3 but I'm keeping them for day-to day driving . I got them for 149$ US each . I will use the Dunlops for the track . I loved my original Conti's but they're just worn now so I'll have to be more careful on the track if I don't want to take the tow truck back home .
[right][snapback]284538[/snapback][/right]

Just in case you weren't aware, you should know that in addition to the 133 tirerack charges for the tire ... they will also collect the following (based on 4 tires):

Shipping to Canada: 106 USD
GST: 30 USD
PST: 56 USD
Duty: 37 USD
Brokerage: 30 USD

So, in USD that tire that began at 133 is now 198 - and still US dollars - with exchange that's more than 250 per tire ... there's gotta be a cheaper Canadian alternative.
[right][snapback]284573[/snapback][/right]
you're right , but I don't plan to follow this route , I have a friend that's going to bring them over by truck , they're going to be 2 drivers , each being allowed to bring goods worth of 400$ , so this should solve my problem .And if push come to shove , I'll pay the charges . Some you win , some...hope to win :-)
As for the install and balancing , I know a place where he's going to do it for about 80$ .I am not a cheap guy , but this year I am in recession too so I got to find ways... :(
thank you Scorcher000 for your info , I'll definately keep it in mind , even though I had just ordered the tires , but there's always next time , or others I can let them know . So you have a tire shop , is that right? and where?
Cousins shop, plus many more contacts that I met in the business. Mostly the Mississauga area Dixe rd and 410

Scorcher000,Apr 8 2009, 01:56 PM Wrote:Cousins shop, plus many more contacts that I met in the business. Mostly the Mississauga area Dixe rd and 410
[right][snapback]284589[/snapback][/right]
Not that far from me , so I'll keep it in mind . My mechanic is in North York , good guy , does good work but is not specializing in tires , even though has tire machines.
Gabriel,Apr 8 2009, 01:03 PM Wrote:
Scorcher000,Apr 8 2009, 01:56 PM Wrote:Cousins shop, plus many more contacts that I met in the business. Mostly the Mississauga area Dixe rd and 410
Not that far from me , so I'll keep it in mind . My mechanic is in North York , good guy , does good work but is not specializing in tires , even though has tire machines.
[right][snapback]284590[/snapback][/right]

give these guys a call
http://tires23.com/
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,Apr 8 2009, 02:12 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 8 2009, 01:03 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]284590[/snapback][/right]

give these guys a call
http://tires23.com/
[right][snapback]284594[/snapback][/right]
ok , thank you
The Dunlop's got very good reviews on most car forums since they are the perfect tire for Street Touring and Street Tire classes in US autocross. A lot of people recommended these over the Falken Azenis RT-615 which were pretty much the standard until now.
They have good heat cycles, tons of grip and very good in the rain also.
2003 ZX-5 SVT CD-Silver 1939 out of 2173
Benzin,May 3 2009, 01:07 AM Wrote:The Dunlop's got very good reviews on most car forums since they are the perfect tire for Street Touring and Street Tire classes in US autocross. A lot of people recommended these over the Falken Azenis RT-615 which were pretty much the standard until now.
They have good heat cycles, tons of grip and very good in the rain also.
[right][snapback]286402[/snapback][/right]
So the one who recommended them knew what he was talking about . I can't wait to put my hands on them .I bought them , just didn't have them shipped here yet
You definitely won't be disappointed. I've seen an interview on youtube with representative from Dunlop and they don't really recommend it for street use (I think because of the low wear rating) but they're great on the track.
Let us know you're impressions after you get to use them.
Other good options, and cheaper, for the focus are the SUMITOMO HTR ZIII (they won a comparison test against the Bridgestone RE-01) and FUZION ZRI and they are both almost half the price. But if money is not a problem I guess Dunlop are the way to go. :D

I will let you know ,I just hope to get them soon . A friend who's a trucker told me he'll bring them over from Chicago this month , let's just hope he'll keep his promise &lt;_&lt; . I actually bought them for track use , for street I got a set of ContiSportcontact 3 last year .
Gabriel,May 3 2009, 10:27 AM Wrote:Let us know you're impressions after you get to use them.
I sure will ,I just hope to get them soon . A friend who's a trucker told me he'll bring them over from Chicago this month , let's just hope&nbsp; he'll keep his promise&nbsp; &lt;_&lt; . I actually bought them for track use , for street I got a set of ContiSportcontact 3 last year .
[right][snapback]286416[/snapback][/right]

I'm sorry if I give you the impression that I have them.....I was just saying what I read on forums in general. I would have bought them if there was a street tire class here but since there isn't..... :(
I want to do for the first time a track day this year and I was looking at Sumitomo since money is a problem for me this year
I know , just wanted to use part of the quote of what you previously said and this is what came out . Didn't have time to correct it though . Just did it now ...sorry
Benzin,May 3 2009, 01:07 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,May 3 2009, 10:27 AM Wrote:Let us know you're impressions after you get to use them.
I sure will ,I just hope to get them soon . A friend who's a trucker told me he'll bring them over from Chicago this month , let's just hope  he'll keep his promise &nbsp; &lt;_&lt; . I actually bought them for track use , for street I got a set of ContiSportcontact 3 last year .
[right][snapback]286416[/snapback][/right]

I'm sorry if I give you the impression that I have them.....I was just saying what I read on forums in general. I would have bought them if there was a street tire class here but since there isn't..... :(
I want to do for the first time a track day this year and I was looking at Sumitomo since money is a problem for me this year
[right][snapback]286418[/snapback][/right]

Yes , same here ... couldn't wait for this spring to come and get the new tires and a suspension kit . So far I stick with the tires .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Drive Review Azenis Sport Rt615 naz 2 1,759 04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Last Post: naz