Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuses In Amp Keep Breaking Please Help
So, I got myself a new amplifier, it was tested and worked perfect before I paid...

and right after i brought home, I installed it immediately, and then right after I connected the main battery of the car, the fuse in the amp broke. Ok so I went to buy a new fuse and try again, checked all the wires before connect the main battery, ok then do it again, same thing happened, the fuse in the amp broke right when I connect the main battery.

here's my setup,
8 ga wire with a 60 amp inline fuse, 4 x 200W amplifier, the fuse rating in the amp is 40 amp

please help, I don't know what to do now... thanks.
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
Stupid question, but are you connecting it to the positive or negative terminal of your battery??
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
it sounds like something is grounded somewhere which is causing the Amp to overdraw... do you have anything else wired up in your car? What did you mount the Amp to? Where did you run the Neutral line to..?

(I'm not an ICE expert... just going on my limited Electrical knowledge)

2003 Sangria Red Focus ZX5.
Buncha Crap Under the Hood... Buncha Crap running out the ass... Big Clunky box in the trunk... Flag on the Roof ala Austin Mini :headbang:
Stap Boy,Jun 29 2004, 09:39 AM Wrote:it sounds like something is grounded somewhere which is causing the Amp to overdraw... do you have anything else wired up in your car? What did you mount the Amp to? Where did you run the Neutral line to..?

(I'm not an ICE expert... just going on my limited Electrical knowledge)
I agree with you, sounds like something is grounding out. I am assuming you got your power run from the battery plus an inline fuse somewhere in there (just reread your post and seen that you have this). I would check the wires, make sure everything is covered and no wires (especially where the cuts are) are sticking out.

Also, this could be more than just the wiring, maybe the amp is screwed. All you are doing is running a power, a ground and a remote to the amp, the RC's wouldn't cause your amp to blow a fuse as far as I know.

Another thing maybe, just guessing but next time you replace the fuse, take out the inline fuse and then replace that, maybe it's a current thing, who knows. Something is fishy....

My first guess would be a short or ground happening that is causing the fuse to go. Check the ends of all cut wires and make sure they are really clean.
ok so I returned the amp, and got a new one, everything is fine now... so i guess that amp was screwed somehow... ;)
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
yeloZX3,Jun 29 2004, 12:34 PM Wrote:ok so I returned the amp, and got a new one, everything is fine now... so i guess that amp was screwed somehow...  ;)
Yeah that is what I thought it would be. I mean, running wires to the amp (that would have anything to do with it blowing fuses) is so easy a monkey could do it. Pretty hard to mess that up. Anyway, glad you got the solution....

How's the sound? :D