Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Tune Up
Ok guys and Girls, I have a 2000 ZX3. It seems that it's running a little funny these days so maybe a tune up is in order. What sorts of things could I do/change to maybe help it run a little smoother?
Check your injectors and spark plugs.

*thumbsup*
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
fuel filter is a big one.
9 times out of 10 when a fuel pump goes it's because of a plugged fuel filter.
keep in mind it can take only one tank of gas to plug a fuel filter so they should be changed every 20,000kms or so.

plugs, the stock wires on some foci have issues with the shielding detatching from the core so new wires may also be in order.

air filter
new or clean your performance filter if equiped

O2 sensors are always a good idea to check when you check youir plugs.
be sure to get yourself a O2 Sensor socket or O2 Specific crows foot. if you use a wrench you can fubar things very easily. you also may need a torch to heat up the area around the O2 sensor to red hot before the sensor can be removed.
keep in mind Focus O2s are 4 wires and usually cost anywhere from $78 to $235cnd depending on brand. don't cheap out on O2s, they wont last as long and are usually not as accurate.
NGK or Bosch are the O2s to use. you also should only need 1 for our cars unless the downstream sensor is switching on you causing the CEL to come on.

other than that there is not much to "tune-up" on our cars
Not necessarily a tune up item..... (a lot of todays cars require very little "tune ups" BUT I have seen a LOT of cars that performance and mileage have decreased over time and after changing the DPFE sensor they noticed a change.

Actually just this week our dealership had to change 3 in particular. And In my old ZX3 it stumbled a couple times then changed the DPFE and it was fine for another 20ks.

The only thing is if your DPFE is going it is "supposed" to throw a CEL. So it may be ok if you haven't had one yet.

:lol:
Run your car, not your mouth

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  '05 Focus ST Tune-up Raypro 1 1,595 05-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Spinal