Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Need To Work On My Tune
Well, my car died at yonge and yorkmills. Most likely culprit -- the MAF transfer function was incorrect for the dismally small amount of air my engine was trying to gasp... the car was fine at first--leaving the cool underground garage to sit in 33C traffic..., and then started performing worse and worse, and then, in the midlde of rush traffic, dies. It would start, dip, bog, and die.

I waited an hour and 40 minutes for a tow, and when he dropped the car off in front of my building (they won't tow it underground), the car started, and the moment it got a wiff of cold garage air, came alive...

I'm going to have to invest in a wideband O2... there are some things you can't always catch at the dyno. I can't wait until the winter when the upper RPM ranges will be all off :P

still learnin'
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Really wow that sucks.....

A wideband is so you can monitor it at all times right...live that is?
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
yeah, a wideband will let me monitor a/f at all times.

The way I figure is that with the stupid hot air, the MAF wasn't reading much air, but my transfer function says it has more air coming in..so instead of opening up the idle control, the car just adds fuel thinking air is going in... and you get the flooding at idle that bogs the whole car down and stalls.

I might start keeping the datalogger going in the car the next few times out.. at least I can narrowdown problems like this, if not exactly fix it.

wow man.. that's pretty sucky.. sorry to hear that..

on the upside.. when you are done you can start taking $$$ from people to do their tunes ? hehe
naz,Jun 9 2004, 02:07 AM Wrote:wow man.. that's pretty sucky.. sorry to hear that..

on the upside.. when you are done you can start taking $$$ from people to do their tunes ? hehe
haha.. yeah, maybe I can take up a job tuning focuses and other fords :P

actually, the funny thing is that I sorta figured something like this would happen... the curve is so tight at the bottom end, I just averaged a/d counts for the given airflows. Too bad I don't have a standalone, 'cause I could have made changes right then and there.

it does suck because I don't know how many more free tows I'm going to get out of my CAA membership this year... I might have to start paying for my tows (or see if ford roadside assistance will bring the car back to my place instead of the dealership) :P

Oh well, live and learn...

Hey Puppet, if I buy this car for under a dollar, can you take all that learnin' and fix it too???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7904534756&rd=1

A FORD for under a dollar,,NOW THAT"S PRiceless
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Ford Roadside will give you the option.....I know GM does.
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub