Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Good All Round Brake Pad?
Whats a good general all round brake pad?

I need to replace my stockers soon, and I'm looking for something that'll hopefully reduce brake dust, while improve braking over the stockers.

I don't autocross my car, so I don't have to worry bout them starting on fire like I've read.

What do you guys recommend for a decently priced brake pads? (front only)
I heard KVR carbon fibre ones are good for reducing brake dust, however the offside is, I heard that these pads aren't the greatest in colder weather. (they work best when they are heated up)

The EBC greenstuff remains the ever popular choice,

but overall, compared to what is on the market, didn't we say once before that the ford OEM pads actually aren't that bad compared to what we can get?
Run your car, not your mouth
Mintex, good stuff.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
KVR Carbon Fibre here. Work great and barely any dust!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
OEM pads are very good.. but dust is pretty sucky

i personally run hawk HPS and i like them a lot.. just like OEM but less dust
naz,Apr 23 2004, 08:22 PM Wrote:OEM pads are very good..
Yes sir they are!!!!
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
Wear will depend a lot on your driving conditions and your tranny. If you have an auto, you'll do less engine braking and more physical braking and wear on the brakes. If you do stop & go and/or short trips, you'll use brake material faster.

Certain Ford replacement pads come with a lifetime warranty. I've used them now for a while. With my driving, I got more life out of the replacements.

When you do replace the pads, I'd suggest you might as well get new rotors.
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
I'd like pads that dont put out as much break dust as the stockers do.
I admit, the Stock breaks are good, but it has soo much break dust, its not funny.
My other ride is your Mom
What about these deals from Midas that have lifetime guarantees? Raybestus or something? Any good?

I priced out a pair of lifetime guaranteed brakes from Ford and they wanted $180 (Don't know if that was installed, but I'm guessing it would be).
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
brake pads are easy as hell to change...man...do work yourselves and you will save a dam load of cash... ill save 3 grand on my engine swap by doing it my self...3 grand i can spend on more engine things i can install myself as well :)
-Will update mods when its all put back together...
1998 nissan 200sx 2.0L Turbo
Check it out here
I'm using the Mintex ones Evan... I won't wash my car this week and you can check out the brake dust issue at the end of the week, just drop by my work and you can drop off my socket too. :rolleyes:
SCT Inside
Raine,Apr 26 2004, 04:13 AM Wrote:What about these deals from Midas that have lifetime guarantees? Raybestus or something? Any good?

I priced out a pair of lifetime guaranteed brakes from Ford and they wanted $180 (Don't know if that was installed, but I'm guessing it would be).
i'm not sure how any place can guarantee a wear item like brake linings for life.. that seems very shady to me..

my guess is that they will chew up rotors like crazy and probably won't perform as well as OEM in terms of stopping ability

personally, I wouldn't go with

a) a 'unknown' pad like from midas
B) any pad that has a 'lifetime guarantee'

if you went with ford, get the same part that originally came on the focus..

just FYI.. hawk hps cost me around 60usd for the front pair, and the OEM ones cost about the same
Quote:if you went with ford, get the same part that originally came on the focus..

:lol: Someone doesn't have much experience with Ford brake pads for the Focus :rolleyes: .
SCT Inside
bill1459,Apr 26 2004, 11:57 PM Wrote:
Quote:if you went with ford, get the same part that originally came on the focus..

:lol: Someone doesn't have much experience with Ford brake pads for the Focus :rolleyes: .
i took the OEM pads off my car at around 65000km and there was still around 15% material left. there were several autoX events on those pads too.

the OEM pads feel just as good and seem to stop the car as well as the hawk HPS pads i'm using right now

it sounds like you have had a bad experience with ford OEM pads, or they wore down quickly.. i don't know what to say to that. perhaps there is variablity in the quality

but i have found the OEM pads to be just fine for autoX and street us, and i believe people that used them for track days also without any problems

IMHO if the pad can handle open track, and be autoXed and still last 65000km.. its not a bad product at all
naz,Apr 27 2004, 06:41 AM Wrote:
bill1459,Apr 26 2004, 11:57 PM Wrote:

i took the OEM pads off my car at around 65000km and there was still around 15% material left. there were several autoX events on those pads too.

the OEM pads feel just as good and seem to stop the car as well as the hawk HPS pads i'm using right now

it sounds like you have had a bad experience with ford OEM pads, or they wore down quickly.. i don't know what to say to that. perhaps there is variablity in the quality

but i have found the OEM pads to be just fine for autoX and street us, and i believe people that used them for track days also without any problems

IMHO if the pad can handle open track, and be autoXed and still last 65000km.. its not a bad product at all
I was refering to the brake dust issue with the OEM Ford pads.
SCT Inside
Haha, oh yah, I was supposed to give you your socket on Sunday night Bill.

But ya forgot! :P

My car got broken into lastnight though, so it's kinda outta commission for a bit. :angry:
i'd rather get some dust with a pad that works for very well rather than get a 'lifetime guarantee' pad, whether it be ford or midas or whoever

Porterfeild makes good pads not too much dust and work very well I think mine are a 500 - 700 degree pad.

As for engine breaking- the breaks are for breaking not the motor and tranny, I know it sounds cool and everything, But. Which do you think is cheaper to replace?