Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Cable Options
I'm in the process of running power wire in a focus for an amplifier (sedan model).

Right now I've have figured out two options....

1) remove fuse box and other crap from under hood, drill hole in firewall and try not to puncture lines. Get hands and arms cut up, wake up with sore neck following day.

2) Run Power cable under car, drill hole in trunk floor, Grommit hole.

I would like to know what some of you have doneand any tips you guys have.

Also.... The plastic trim pannels next to the door sills, do they just pull up and unclip?
=======================================
2001 Black ZTS, Grey leather, 4w Discs
JVC head unit, 800W RF sub

Near Future: Short throw, Intake, Borla Exaust
I ran my 8 gauge wire thru the 'hood prop' hole and grommet. Works great, and is still sealed up nice and tight.

And all the trim I needed to take off to run the wire to the trunk all pulled off.
for 8 GA wire, you shouldnt have to do any drilling, like yelo zx3 said, use the hood release cable gromet, there is plenty of room in there for a ton of wires. ask Tdot, he'll tell ya. Yes the plastic trim peces snap right off. For the kick panel ones, you have to remove a cheap a plastic screw on each side. This car is so easy to run wires into its not funny. I had mine down the centre console when I did it the very first time, then I changed my mind and ran it down the sides.
My other ride is your Mom
Oh right, forgot about the screw for the kick panel.

And yep, the hood release hole will hold a s**t load of wires! :o
Im sure you could get 2gauge all the way to the back without making any holes in the car...

I ran 4 gauge and 8 gauge NO problem at all ....
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
I'm familliar with the door/ fender/ hood gromit suggestions but I don't really like it. It just seems like the short cut way of doing it and somewhat lazy. Also, I have issues with putting a hole/ moddify a factroy openeing right above the fuse pannel.

Anyone not run their wiring through there?

It's not above the fuse panel man...
You mean running wire through the big 4" plug beside the door hinge right? And running the wire through the inner fender.... I've looked at this option and I don't like it. Way to many places that insulation could get peeled off when pulling wire through, no to mention The idiot that installed the alarm in my car already ran wire through that point (previous owner). It looks stupid and I can see it causing future probelms.

It may not be above the fuse panel but you cannot deny that there is ALOT of wiring in the area of that hole plug, the majority of the car's wiring harness runs right below that opening. I might just be paranoid but I do live in Vancouver and it does usually rain 3 of 7 days a week here. Knowing that water gets into that area and putting a hole there just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I will look into that Hood release grommit.

Oh okay, I think we were talking about 2 different things here...

Definitely look into the hood grommet area, I've had no problems for 2 years.
UPDATE:

I ran power wire throught the gromit for the hood release cable. It worked out better then expected. I did end up pushing th grommit out though to get my cable through and will have to reseal wtih silicon to keep water tight. (joys of vancouver).

I have an automatic, so I just drilled a hole through the plastic cover they put into the firewall where the clutch pedal would normally go. With a grommit in place it looks good and is sealed nicely. The wire runs right out from below the fuse box and down the side of the bay to the battery. No problem. :)

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Cable theory 8 2,243 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Last Post: habmann
  Running Power Cable For Amp guilty 6 2,409 10-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Last Post: GlennH