Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunnville Autodrome Track Day
Depending on when this is going to take place I will be in. I have weekends off now for the golf season.

hardk0re,Mar 28 2009, 08:46 AM Wrote:Ken you got everything right, thanks for providing the additional information.  So far we have at least 7 people interested. 

Tony if you can get a few more people then that would be great.  It would be nice to be around the 20 mark.  Makes it cheap for everybody.

IIRC only 10 cars are allowed on the track at one time, theres still allot of driving time. 10-20 minutes of driving and the first bank of 10 have pretty much cycled off and are letting their cars cool off and brakes cool off.

But yes only our group will be on the track, not all focuses but still just our group.  It is an early morning run out there but it is worth it.
[right][snapback]283675[/snapback][/right]
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
You can count me in too, Dunnville is a fun track , I've been there last year twice and I loved it. When are you planning for this to happen?
While I probably won't be able to run on the track this year, I wouldn't mind getting out as a spectator. Do they allow passengers?

Anyone know their rules regarding photographers? If it can be arranged (and depending on the date) I'd be willing to do photos for the day for everyone. I'm used to shooting smaller courses (autoX) but I'm sure I could find a decent vantage point out there.

-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
Scourge,Mar 30 2009, 09:16 AM Wrote:While I probably won't be able to run on the track this year, I wouldn't mind getting out as a spectator.  Do they allow passengers?

Anyone know their rules regarding photographers?  If it can be arranged (and depending on the date) I'd be willing to do photos for the day for everyone.  I'm used to shooting smaller courses (autoX) but I'm sure I could find a decent vantage point out there.

-George
[right][snapback]283800[/snapback][/right]

I think they allow passengers so long as they sign the typical waiver form ... and whatever rules might be in force for the drivers with respect to helmets etc - would likely be applicable to passengers too.

I think if you were to be included as our group's "official" photographer, you would probably be granted access to the otherwise out of bounds areas of the track that offer the best vantage points - but that's a question to be asked of the track owners.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
So when do you guys think this lapping day at Dunnville will take place? I , for one ,will be at Mosport DDT on april the 19 -if it doesn't rain (my tires are too worn for wet track) - and then may 3rd at Dunnville . But i'd love to participate at a Focus lapping day . So come on guys let's make it happen , don't be so wishy -washy :D
I need to get a few more ppl. I need to fork over $1600 before we get a solid date, this being the case it is difficult for me to do when we only have 12 people "interested" and with typical car forum fashion 1/2 will backout, and I don't think those left want to pay $250 each.

I am working on a few other forums to try and ensure we will have 20 people left after the smoke clears. I am targeting may 30 or june 6 weekends if available.

Funny thing is I posted in one forum i'm a member and 1 guy replied, but in another thread someone started to go and see fast and the furious 4 like everybody is gonna show up!

hardk0re,Apr 1 2009, 08:45 PM Wrote:I need to get a few more ppl.  I need to fork over $1600 before we get a solid date, this being the case it is difficult for me to do when we only have 12 people "interested" and with typical car forum fashion 1/2 will backout, and I don't think those left want to pay $250 each.

I am working on a few other forums to try and ensure we will have 20 people left after the smoke clears.  I am targeting may 30 or june 6 weekends if available.

Funny thing is I posted in one forum i'm a member and 1 guy replied, but in another thread someone started to go and see fast and the furious 4 like everybody is gonna show up!
[right][snapback]284052[/snapback][/right]

I'm a definite YES for May 30 ... a definite NO for June 6 (at Mosport BMW ADT)
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

I am interested as long as it is june or later as i need to do my front brakes before i can tackle a track. so count me in for after may 30th as that is CSCS opener at cayuga
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
hardk0re,Apr 1 2009, 09:45 PM Wrote:I need to get a few more ppl.  I need to fork over $1600 before we get a solid date, this being the case it is difficult for me to do when we only have 12 people "interested" and with typical car forum fashion 1/2 will backout, and I don't think those left want to pay $250 each.

I am working on a few other forums to try and ensure we will have 20 people left after the smoke clears.  I am targeting may 30 or june 6 weekends if available.

[right][snapback]284052[/snapback][/right]

You are absolutely right and I totally understand your point about ppl "interested" , you can't risk it if you 're not sure that they're going to show up . Last year I went lapping with the guys from Touge.ca and there were a lot of ppl everytime . I remember last time at Dunnville were so many cars (I would say 50 or more) that every 1/2 hour or so they had to flag everybody out so others could get in . I was lapping for over 40 min when they flagged me out . They only allowed 12 cars at one time on the track , so until someone gets out no one gets in . I think that once you get it going with the lapping days , and word spreads around it will be easier to organize these events.
You lapped for 40 minutes, did you have brakes left?

I went for a solid 20min last year before I had basically no brakes, pulled off and smoke was billowing out from front and rear wheels.
hardk0re,Apr 2 2009, 09:59 AM Wrote:You lapped for 40 minutes, did you have brakes left?

I went for a solid 20min last year before I had basically no brakes, pulled off and smoke was billowing out from front and rear wheels.
[right][snapback]284074[/snapback][/right]

what kind of pads are U using? I put on ceramic pads on front and semi-metallics on the rear and I was ok ever since . Just once after a Mosport lapping i had to bleed the brakes , was a hot day and running with the guys from Touge.ca ,most of them driving Subaru , Mitsubishi and other powerful cars , more or less AWD , it was not an easy task for my little ol' Focus
EBC rotors + pads. I still have stock brakes which is probably the issue with my setup. However allot of the other cars had similar issues.
hardk0re,Apr 4 2009, 07:58 AM Wrote:EBC rotors + pads.  I still have stock brakes which is probably the issue with my setup.  However allot of the other cars had similar issues.
[right][snapback]284200[/snapback][/right]

Yup - the 00-04 stock diameter rotor is simply too small.

My '07 brakes had no difficulty dissipating the heat at either Dunnville and Mosport (and that's even with the extra couple of hundred pounds of wagon goodness) - and yes there was a bit of smoke, but no fading - and at Mosport especially the heat was tremendous - the front wheels were too hot to touch at the hub at the end of the run - but the brakes worked fine with no fading.

Edit: they were stock size but Brembo rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads.

The rotors of the Fusion are the same size as F-SVT brakes - 11.8" front and 11" rear - it will be interesting to see how the EBC rotors and pads hold up to the heat at Mosport in a couple of weeks - especially with the added traction of the Falken Azenis tires. So far on the street they feel great.

I don't think the size of the rotor is to blame . If you go for bigger rotors , then you have to change the calipers , in other words the whole nine yards...Now there's another thing , I have a Focus SVT , pretty much stock , except for the intake and new ECU program . But if your car it's a ZX3 to begin with , then your front rotors are smaller and that could be an issue . Also if you had modified it and boosted the power big time then you could be able to launch it harder than me so you'll need more stopping power , which to original ZX3 setup might not be able to handle . But if you ask me , I would just start with installing some good ceramic pads and see how it goes , or if it's in your budget , try Focus SVT rotors and calipers . If you go Brembo , those are over 2 G's

Are you going to Mosport DDT on april the 19th ZTWsquared ?
Gabriel,Apr 4 2009, 10:02 AM Wrote:Are you going to Mosport DDT on april the 19th ZTWsquared ?
[right][snapback]284212[/snapback][/right]

No - I'm going to the BMW Trillium Club Advanced Driver Training (aka: lapping) on the 24th and 25th.

ZTWsquared,Apr 4 2009, 12:08 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 4 2009, 10:02 AM Wrote:Are you going to Mosport DDT on april the 19th ZTWsquared ?

No - I'm going to the BMW Trillium Club Advanced Driver Training (aka: lapping) on the 24th and 25th.
[right][snapback]284220[/snapback][/right]

what are the conditions for sign up?...registration , fee , which track ..? Last year I read that you had to be a bmw owner and the car had to be inspected by an authorized car shop .
Gabriel,Apr 5 2009, 11:27 AM Wrote:

what are the conditions for sign up?...registration , fee , which track ..? Last year I read that you had to be a bmw owner and the car had to be inspected by an authorized car shop .
[right][snapback]284262[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm ... well this will be my third year with them and AFAIK all you have to be is a member in good standing (associate membership does not require BMW ownership) ... and yes you require a licensed mechanic to sign off on the basic safety of your vehicle, but in my case it's something my guy does for free.

It's the long road course at Mosport.

Membership IIRC is 80 per year and the weekends (Friday night through Sunday afternoon) are 430 ... but this year if we sign up for multiples they give us a discount.

It's expensive to be sure but the instruction is top notch, we get a lot of track time, we get to see a lot of great machines, and we get to ride in the instructors cars when it's their turn on the track.

My instructor last year ran a Porsche Turbo 944 - heavily modified - and at the end of the longest straight we were doing 260 kph (and yes, he was taking it easy) - then it's down to 100 coming into turn 8 - we scrubbed off 160 kph in what seemed like a few yards - a true sphincter-tightening thing to experience as a passenger.

ZTWsquared,Apr 5 2009, 10:25 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 5 2009, 11:27 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]284262[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm ... well this will be my third year with them and AFAIK all you have to be is a member in good standing (associate membership does not require BMW ownership) ... and yes you require a licensed mechanic to sign off on the basic safety of your vehicle, but in my case it's something my guy does for free.

It's the long road course at Mosport.

Membership IIRC is 80 per year and the weekends (Friday night through Sunday afternoon) are 430 ... but this year if we sign up for multiples they give us a discount.

It's expensive to be sure but the instruction is top notch, we get a lot of track time, we get to see a lot of great machines, and we get to ride in the instructors cars when it's their turn on the track.

My instructor last year ran a Porsche Turbo 944 - heavily modified - and at the end of the longest straight we were doing 260 kph (and yes, he was taking it easy) - then it's down to 100 coming into turn 8 - we scrubbed off 160 kph in what seemed like a few yards - a true sphincter-tightening thing to experience as a passenger.
[right][snapback]284290[/snapback][/right]

WOW ! sounds great , since there are instructors , that is priceless .Unfortunately because of the price , might not be in the budget for me this year . But I am looking forward to go to SVTOA's Red line this year on Mosport big track and if nothing else to go lapping a few times with Touge.ca . Thank you for the info .
Gabriel,Apr 6 2009, 10:33 AM Wrote:WOW ! sounds great , since there are instructors , that is priceless .Unfortunately because of the price , might not be in the budget for me this year . But I am looking forward to go to SVTOA's Red line this year on Mosport big track and if nothing else to go lapping a few times with Touge.ca . Thank you for the info .
[right][snapback]284345[/snapback][/right]

Yup - I was hooked after the first one ... we've also run at Calabogie, but it's not quite the same as Mosport.

I'm planning on doing the SVTOA thing too this year - so we'll see you there.

Back OT - any updates on this Kevin?

Anyone who's even remotely interested please post up here.

Trust me, even in a bone-stock Focus you will be talking about this for weeks afterward ... if you haven't done this yet you really don't know what your missing (and you're missing a lot!!) - for just 80 bucks and just 20 cars this is an awesome value for the experience you'll get.

The prospective dates set out so far are May 30 and June 6 ... so check your calendars and think hard about coming out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Svtoa On Track Corral - July 28th @ Dunnville GapBoyPCS 0 1,069 07-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Last Post: GapBoyPCS