Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's not like I have money to burn
The ExoPC Slate and DLink Boxee Box are both on pre-sale. And SageTV has released an new media extender for there WinPVR platform.
I'd say D-Link. I have always trusted them and they have never failed me. Not sure about anyone else but they are number one for products in my books.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Yeah, I would vouch for Dlink as well. Never had any problems with their routers anyways.
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
Can't say these things are really my thing.. too niche to be good long term buys IMO.. a used PS3 or XBOX will get you most of the functions and are useful for playing discs as well.

Since they stream media, you'll still need a media server to serve up your own content... and something like an existing computer with TVersity will do the job well when used with the latest streaming media-friendly consoles.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Already running a sagetv system, so the extender is just a new toy for it. The boxee is likely a no go, as I'd be duplicating the sagetv minus the pvr, which is a step backwards. The exopc is an ipad alternative, without 3g, which is not a problem for me.
Speaking of burning money, I pretty much am right now with Cogeco's fail TV packages.

Is there anything I can buy one-time to stream most stuff right to my TV (set-top, Internet-connected appliance)?

TV is the worst value-for-your-dollar service I have right now, bar none.

EDIT

OK, so the Boxee pretty much gets me there. But, I'll still get geo-blocked in more than a few places I'd wager (HULU, etc).

Welcome to the Internet. Oh wait, you're from Canada. You can't access this content. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

J3rt, the SageTV PVRs ANYTHING you throw at it? Hmm.

Now, can it / will it BitTorrent? Big Grin
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I have 2 hauppage 1600, which has 2 analog rogers and 2 Ota feeds, which means I can theoretically record 4 shows simultaneously. You can connect HD STB to the cards, with simple IR repeaters control the boxes. I prefer to A: not pay for STB boxes, B: find premium content elsewhere. but yes, what your "send" to SageTV it'll record, even your VCR.
I am not aware of built in BT support, currently I run Sagetv as a service on the main PC, with a hardware extender at the main tv, and a winclient on a bedroom pc. I am considering moving it to a WHS box though.
I also gave up on BT, there are better "things" out there.

I'am told that with boxee and Sagetv you can program it so, connecting to Hulu, Veehd will automatically lauch your IP block program.
Though, Asus routers will also to the same thing for your entire network, they have Hotspot IP app on the routers firmware.
Nos, just hit Staples buy a USB capture device, download the 15 day trial for SageTV and try it out, just make sure to return the USB device before the return date is up.
not sure what you are tring to acomplish? if its just watching personal media on your TV, then thats ok, but be warned, a lot of movie formats will change over time and some of this hardware will not properly play it. For example my Blu ray player plays all divx/mpeg etc but the new format called mk5 or something, it wont play too well, unless they come out with a new firmware (im already at the latest firmware that fixes the avitar blue-ray bug)

as for pvr, the one I saw is cool, cant remember te name but it allows you to record and archive video even HD up to 1080i format, and it even allow you to archive it to DVD in anamorphic widescreen up to 480p, or if you use AVCHD format DVD up to 720P. not bad imho. I'll try to find the name.
My other ride is your Mom
*Thread resurrection commencing*

So... I downloaded the Boxee software to test-drive it. Doesn't play Hulu. Geoblocked. Doesn't play Comedy Central. Geoblocked.

So that rules out the D-Link Boxee Box when it launches. I checked the Netflix.ca offerings. Sad.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to re-teach my g/f how to BT, how to check her websites to find out when the new episodes are out and then how to D/L them and watch them. Failing that, I may have to do it for her. If Netflix DOES improve, they have a PS3 "client", which she could easily use. Even if I upgrade my Internet package and pay for Netflix it's still about $60 less per month than I'm paying now.

I'm also checking out SageTV, but that seems to want me to feed it some OTA or other stream. Unless I resurrect my satellite dish on the back of the house (older Bell unit), I'm not sure it'll work for me. I may just try to see what we have available for HD OTA or just D/L and stream everything.

I'm sick to death of crappy cable packages, oversold and overstuffed with repetition satellite packages and no real avenues yet for over-the-Internet delivery of proper content.

EDIT - I also checked back in on Joost, which I used to love. It seemed to be in the same stalled state that I left it well over a year ago. Boxee and Joost should join forces, they seem to be identical.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Have you heard of WDTV? it does pretty much the same as boxee, but it's got one advantage, its NOT DLINK.
From the T.O. to the B-Lo. (D'Youville)
"Can I be da Joke Pimp?"
WDTV eh? I'll add that to the list. Major funds have been "appropriated" for the new Wasi Lake base camp right now, so whatever I do will be between now and Xmas.