Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the bike guys
I've been looking for a bike for the summer, to take my kids out on their trailer. Nothing too fancy here but I don't want to end up with the crap CT and Walmart sell. (Maybe its not crap...if so fill me in on whats good..i've only rode things with motors for the past 15 years....some exceptions Tongue).

I've been looking at a entry level Norco or Trek. Such as Norco Pinnacle or Trek 820, definetly looking at used here too.

So for the bike guys are either of these bikes going to suit my needs for comfortable city riding and maybe the odd trail when I get a chance to head out solo? I don't want something thats going to end up with a fouled Deraileur when i'm miles from home and 2 unhappy kids in a bike trailer..

Buying a used bike are there things i need to check for?
Kev...shoot me a PM with what your looking to spend. I've got an older norco sitting in my garage that i haven't used in a few years but it's in mind condition minus a few scratches on the frame. It's a hardtail (front shocks only) but it's a real comfertable ride on and off the trails.
How much are you looking to spend?

Those bikes are alright, but the componentry is pretty basic.. you could probably get something like a Kona Blast for about $650 (or even $600 if you can talk the sales guy down a bit)... sure it's a couple extra hundred, but it's an order of magnitude better than the norco and trek.

My only complaint about any of these entry level bikes would be that the front shocks aren't very responsive -- it'll be nearly the same with the Blast, but the drivetrain components are much, much better on the blast.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

little more than I want to spend...sub 200 here...champagne dreams...beer budget Tongue

Hence the used market....
I would hit up the police auction then -- and bring a friend. You'd likely find something a lot better.

If you're buying used, check the bike for squeaks, make sure the wheels and pedals move smoothly.

If it has a shock, make sure the shock works smoothly, doesn't have scratches all over the slidy bits, and is damped and sprung.

Take the bike in hand, hold the front brake, and roll the bike forwards and back with the front brake held... there should be no clunking from the headset (and no play either).

wiggle the wheels, they shouldn't clunk about the hubs.

spin the wheels, make sure they don't wobble... give the spokes a sqeeze all around the wheels.. they should feel evenly tensioned, no loose spokes or super tight ones.

Make sure the deraileur works and doesn't make excessive noise. They shouldn't be clacking unless you're cross-shifting (big-small or small-big).

that's a start of course....

Kev,

I have an older (4-5 years old) CCM Hooligan (dual-suspension) in my shed. If you want, I can break it out and take a few pics. If you want it, 50 bucks. It could possibly use a tune-up on the rear deraileur, but it rolls / works / stops. The rear suspension is fairly adjustable for stiffnes as well.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
One thing that can be hard to judge is chain-stretch/wear. My Trek needs new sprockets/chain. Until you crank on it, you might not notice. If you're buying used, crank on it hard to see if anything slips... just be careful not to fall on your face.
You can usually judge chain/sprocket wear by checking for a slight hook being worn into the teeth on the loaded side. I don't know of too many people that replace their chain and rings/sprockets as often as they should.

Either the Pinnacle or the Trek 820 are decent bike, for what they are. The Pinnacle is an aluminum frame the 820 is steel ( so a little bit heavier). Components are just about equal. Both will do the job to pull your kids. If your idea of a trail ride is a non paved walking/hiking path then they will be ok. Anything beyond that and you'll wish you had something better. Do not, I REPEAT, do not buy a dept. store bike. Biggests POS ever! Stick with a name brand, especially if buy used. In which case follow Dark Puppets advise but beware of the Police auctions, it's very easy to pay too much for some of the crap they have. Spend the time, do a little research. Look on craigslist, ebay Kiiji etc... get an idea of what used ones go for and apply that to the auction. You will get a slightly better bike used than new but you shouln't pay anymore than 50-60% of what it was new. No warranty, servicing etc... Good Luck!
After looking around at some of ppls used crap around, i'm thinking just going to a bike shop. Next weekend a local shop has a swap meet so i'll probably head there first thing in the morning. Should nothing used be in their lot i'll just head inside.

Getting tired of the guys that think their 1998 Norco that retailed for 329 brand new is worth 250 today with stock parts/tires.