Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford Actually Reopens A Plant
Ford reopening Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 to produce EcoBoost V6

[Image: 000_clevelandengineplant1_opt.jpg]

It's not often we get to report on an auto plant reopening, but this morning we bring you news that Ford is reopening its Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 to produce the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 for the Lincoln MKS and MKT, Ford Flex and 2010 Taurus SHO. The plant has been idle since 2007, but Ford has invested $55 million in the 58-year-old facility to create a flexible manufacturing system for powertrains. No new jobs will be created by reopening the plant, as Ford will staff it with 250 workers from other facilities on the site, but the job security that comes with being the first in the world to build the automaker's most advanced engine is surely welcome. The plant's new flexible manufacturing capabilities also mean that it might produce other members of the EcoBoost family in the future. The Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 has a storied history of building famous Ford engines, including the 351 and 5.0-liter V8s. We'll have to wait for history to judge the 3.5L EcoBoost V6, but in the short term it will likely be more popular than LeBron James to many Clevelanders.

Autobolg
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
That's great news! Hopefully this impressive powerplant does as well as it looks.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Ford's worst trouble right now is their an American company. They're not in as bad a shape as the other 2 giants, but still.

Just in my search for anew car, I can confidently say that Ford is not the same company I bought my Focus from 7 years ago. I think the innovative cars like the Edge, Flex and the redesigned focus are saving Ford's bacon right now. Not to mention the ground they are gaining on the Asian competition particularly in the quality and service markets.

All good stuff, trouble is, they're red white and blue.
Good news for sure, its nice to see 250 jobs kept rather than lost.
That's definitely worth seeing in the news!

Personally, I can't wait to flog something with the EcoBoost turboed motors in them. I'm really excited to see Ford step up and offer something in North America that a LOT of other manufacturers have been doing for a while now - proper, factory-tuned boosted engines.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
A bit more info on the EcoBoost V6 :

New Ford EcoBoost V-6 Endures Engine ‘Boot Camp’
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford To Close Ontario Plant Frost__2001 4 1,707 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Death Of Ford Essex Engine Plant CanadaSVT 16 5,008 08-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Last Post: CanadaSVT
  Ford Closes Windsor Casting Plant Frost__2001 1 1,688 05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Spinal
  Ford To Close F-150 Pickup Plant In 2007 Frost__2001 6 2,284 09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Last Post: mikeb777