Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should I be talking to next? (re. my convertible top)
^^ Unless you can see into the future (which you can't!) you would never know how badly they screw up the car. And one would assume a ripped convertable top is a pretty straight forward fix. Considering ripped convertable tops are probably up in the top repairs convertables require.

I would have done the same since we pay insurance for this very reason.
Thats true no one can see in the future, but a friend of mine decided to go with a roof patch instead of getting a roof replaced when he had a similar sized tear in his roof. He does take care of his car, but he doesnt need things to be original. He is one of those guys that if you dent his car, he will collect the money for the damage and leave the dent in his car and not get it fixed. after all, its gonna get dented again anyways.

My other ride is your Mom
Sounds like a convertable cavalier Tongue
While I probably could have saved time duct taping the top together, I figured I should fix it since I payed a lot for the car, and a bit towards insurance....

I'm pretty sure I'll get this sorted out. That's why we have the consumer protection act and small claims court...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

(08-31-2011, 11:26 AM)paolo Wrote: Thats true no one can see in the future, but a friend of mine decided to go with a roof patch instead of getting a roof replaced when he had a similar sized tear in his roof. He does take care of his car, but he doesnt need things to be original. He is one of those guys that if you dent his car, he will collect the money for the damage and leave the dent in his car and not get it fixed. after all, its gonna get dented again anyways.

Sounds like he's a cheese ball. I like my car looking flawless ,which is not right now since the bumper is scratched up from winter lapping. Will fix it after my new turbo set up.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Good luck Steve-o. Also, have you contacted Peter Cheney at all? His FB page, which he reads and replies to is here: https://www.facebook.com/cheneydrive

I'd wager he'd be interested in the story, and the Globe and Mail is a decent paper. Double that up with hopefully the Star's Wheels section taking you on and you've got a LOT of exposure that these guys won't want.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Wow Steve, I'm really surprised that it appears that Donway Ford has basically washed their hands of this issue at this point. They selected the subcontractor, it's on their head to make it right (and so you'd be looking at naming both them and their subcontractor in any SCC suit)

How much longer will you have the car? Unless you bought it out when I wasn't paying attention (which is quite possible, I'll freely admit) the lease should be coming due soon no?

NefCanuck
TEAM W.T.F.? Because everything has to be explained

[img]hXXp://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,Duratec,black,red.png[/img]
Hey Nef, I bought the car out last Sept... figured I'd get a few good years out of it yet before it was time to upgrade to a gently-used GT500.

Guess I should call Enco and schedule a time to take it in... what a pain in the ass...

(09-01-2011, 11:07 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: Hey Nef, I bought the car out last Sept... figured I'd get a few good years out of it yet before it was time to upgrade to a gently-used GT500.

Guess I should call Enco and schedule a time to take it in... what a pain in the ass...

Ah, that I didn't know....

A "gently" used GT 500? Maybe if the first owner was 50+ (and didn't attend events like the Redline Rendevous Big Grin)

NefCanuck
TEAM W.T.F.? Because everything has to be explained

[img]hXXp://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,Duratec,black,red.png[/img]
(09-01-2011, 02:36 PM)NefCanuck Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:07 AM)darkpuppet Wrote: Hey Nef, I bought the car out last Sept... figured I'd get a few good years out of it yet before it was time to upgrade to a gently-used GT500.

Ah, that I didn't know....

A "gently" used GT 500? Maybe if the first owner was 50+ (and didn't attend events like the Redline Rendevous Big Grin)

NefCanuck

There's a surprising number of geriatrics with money, who usually die of a heart attack before the supercharger can kick in.... so I'm optimistic.

Or a not-so-gently-used will do as well...

With the performance of the new GTs and 302's, I'm hoping the prices will drop a bit on used GT500's... I just like how they look better...

I know of 2 GT500 owners, cars are never driven, one has under 5000km's on it. Last time he took it out was for his sons wedding, and that was in 2009. I remember when eh went to start it to show the awesome sounds, the battery was dead!! such a shame I'd be at the race track everyday and buying new tires for it every month!!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
(09-02-2011, 02:52 AM)Flofocus Wrote: I know of 2 GT500 owners, cars are never driven, one has under 5000km's on it. Last time he took it out was for his sons wedding, and that was in 2009. I remember when eh went to start it to show the awesome sounds, the battery was dead!! such a shame I'd be at the race track everyday and buying new tires for it every month!!

Makes me really sad. What a shame.
Sad
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
The saga continues....

Went to Enco today, the guy offered me $150 goodwill towards the door sill damage, so obviously they're not accepting responsibility for it. And He says the top not going down all the way is normal, and the wrinkles have somehow sorted themselves out in the cooler temps... there's a small one, but I wasn't ready to commit to them pulling the top off and redoing it since he said it'd likely come out worse somehow.

So that's where things sit.

So the question is now what? Maybe Enco isn't responsible to the damage to the door sill, but someone is... what would I need to ensure a court case doesn't end up in a loss. I'm not going to burn bridges until I know I can survive on the other side..

I guess my next course of action is to find a reputable ford dealership that can give me their opinion on the damage... anyone have suggestions for the GTA? Of course, it'd help if they did the work in-shop and not via 3rd party. I just want a second opinion.

Other than that, I guess I could suck it up, fix it myself and wash my hands of the whole mess... or just sell the car...

thoughts?

Sell the car.

In my past experiences, these situations leave a taste so bad, you just won't "love" the car anymore.

The day after my car was broken into, dash all gouged up and blood from end to end I just didn't care for it anymore. It's like my space and belongings were violated

Sounds corny, but EVERY time you put that top up and down, you're gonna stew weather or not it's functioning correctly. (I know you... and you'll hop out and do a perimeter check EVERY time the top moves.)

Sell Sell Sell.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
(09-07-2011, 12:42 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: Sell Sell Sell.

You could do this but somehow I think you would feel morally compelled to tell a prospective owner about the problems even if they didn't notice it themselves.

I would sue ... small claims court is not difficult or expensive and it's designed to be lawyer-free ... and frankly it would be less time consuming then what you've spent time-wise so far.

Sue for a lot - max out your claim by whatever legitimate means you can ... sue everyone involved, including Ford if they've had even the most remote involvement (ie: supplied parts or materials) ... and then wait for one of their lawyers to suggest a settlement.

Yes - get 3rd party quotes for the proper repair of the top plus repair of the damages and find a way to monetize the time, effort and aggravation you've accumulated so far.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I guess I'm suing then.. .Just have to find a dealership that can help me out with a proper quote to fix... Any suggestions within an hour's drive or so?

I like Marigold Ford in Whitby, no idea however if their any better at Convertible Top repair.
I may give them a shout... see if I can find anyone in Toronto that doesn't use Enco.

I had good dealings with Randy @ Shanahan Ford in Newmarket. I would never, EVER go near Fraser Ford in Oshawa (it's a SVT dealership too, which is why I'm mentioning it). The technician who worked on my car was awful.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver