Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some workout help fellas.
Hey guys.

Still working out, still making progress. Weights are up a bit, weight loss has leveled off and now I'm looking like a thick giant.

I want to know what supplements you guys are using, and which ones will help me cut a little weight safely. I currently take a protein shake once, sometimes twice a day.

I don't want to just walk into a store to get something without knowing anything.
I have a GNC card so if I can get it there, that would be great.

The kicker, dairy doesn't play well in my guts so it needs to be dairy free.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I want to shed some more weight do I can see the muscles that I know are there.

Thanks boys.
Soy based milk. I like protein powder with orange juice.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Protein powder and orange juice. Hmmm. I guess I'll have to ditch the chocolate protien I'm currently drinking with water. Smile

I think I need something that will help me grow more muscle which in turn will naturally help me burn the fat.

My body type is not the kid that will ever look "jacked", I've come to accept that I just want something that may help me lean out.
If you do less reps and more weight, your body senses that as a need to respond by creating more muscle. So, you're partly right in that building more muscle will consume more calories - which will lean you out over the long term.

If you think you're "Strong enough" right now, keep your reps in the 14-20 rep range and add more sets per exercise if needed. If you're up to it, train so that you fail your first set of each exercise within 14-20 reps, then deduct about 10% from the first weight and do another set, aiming to fail in the same rep range. If you fail before 14 reps, record it and then use a little less weight next time. This won't promote as much muscle growth but in turn give you more of a cardio workout - you'll burn more calories per exercise day. Remember to rest at least 24 hours before heading back into the gym.

Keep on that protein powder with water if you can tackle it - or with milk. Also, check and see what the protein powder is sweetened with. Milk "should not" have as much glycemic load as orange juice. I can't say that authoritatively as you'd have to compare the two properly by their GL rating. Just keep complex carbs down if/when you can, white flour's a no-no, focus on green and other "bright" vegetables and also high-protein meats.

Also, check Mark's site for free recipies if you want as well as the two major low-carb diets he espouses - GLAD and MANS. He offers entire days' worth of how to eat on each one for free.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
You could always try P90X. its a bunch of workouts that you watch and follow along with, there is also a nutrition guide. my boss did this and he is completely ripped now. He used to work out regularly and was always fairly strong, but then he did p90 and now he is really jacked. i got a copy from him to try out for myself. do you live near Kitchener because if you do i can get you a copy. let me know
P90 is great if you like being told what to do 24/7. I've tried it several times, it's almost as bad as doing group ex for me. Can't stand being shouted at constantly. I need my weights, optionally my headphones and to just hit the weights.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Anthony,

I know this is a weird question but at this point do you know what your Body Mass Index is right now?

I'm wondering if you're basically in your optimal range and your body just can't produce the results you want (IE: ripped)?

I'm finding (as I feared) that as my body burns fat that the muscles beneath are literally only "half responding" with the right side of my body showing no improvement while the left side is showing definition. Not that I'm doing exercise to look "ripped" but its the way my body is responding to the exertions.

Maybe that's where you're at? Undecided

NefCanuck
TEAM W.T.F.? Because everything has to be explained

[img]hXXp://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,Duratec,black,red.png[/img]
Thanks fellas.

I feel as if i'm left to my own devices at the gym, so any extra help or hints I can get are super helpful.
I'll check out mark's food menus tonight.

At 16-17 I weight close to 300lbs, size 44 pants. Between then and now (21 YO) I now weigh 245 lbs, but wear a size 36 pant. My routine has been 1 protein shake in the morning, along with 1 scoop of creatine, then 1 protein shake immediately following my workout. Recently, iv added 1 scoop of greens+ superfood in the morning, along with 3 tablespoons of high potency fish oil a day and 1 scoop of branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) immediately after my work out, along with what i mentioned above

For my workouts, I rotate between heavy lifting (3 sets of 3-6 reps) strength training (3 sets of 10 reps) and cutting (3-4 sets of 25-30 reps). Each month I change to a different style and try to mix it up within each work out, like super setting, taking longer or shorter breaks in between, etc. But, by far the most important thing I do is track my progress on paper, making sure im increasing weight were need be
Figured I'd resurrect A's article as Oscar finally let me write an article about him for Mark's new guest content-driven site, MuscleHacker.com

http://www.musclehacker.com

There are before and after pics in there of Oscar, too. Guys... anyone can do this stuff. Eat better, train smart, you'll do just fine.

Great article.!

maybe we should start a "gym rat" forum here!
Thanks dude!

Hey, I'm all for a "Gym Rat" sub-forum off of Off Topic or wherever it lands.

i'm all for it as long as you're willing to help me figure out what it is I need to do to start doing this all myself too haha
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(09-09-2011, 12:06 PM)Mystake Wrote: i'm all for it as long as you're willing to help me figure out what it is I need to do to start doing this all myself too haha

Tell you what... it's a long read, but Mark McManus, creator/owner of the site I train from - http://www.musclehack.com - just posted a new blog entry that goes into detail about EVERYTHING.

Head over to the site, sign up for the free THT training guide (Total Anabolism 4.0), start giving the site a read and let me know if you have any questions via PM.

Also, there's a MuscleHack Fan page - http://www.facebook.com/musclehack - Mark actually replies there, and so do I along with a lot of other "MuscleHackers".

Also, you'll see quick links on the right-side of the blog, partway down, for the MANS and GLAD diets. Don't think of them as "diets" in the classic sense. Think of them as different approaches to healthy eating.

Let me know how you do!

Adam

Adam,

Thanks!
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Try crossfit type activities. When I started trying out for Team Canada I added two crossfit style workouts a week (mornings) followed by heavy cardio that night. That plus a great nutritional plan (and going gluten free for allergy reasons) - I dropped 16 pounds and 7% body fat. I'm not cut - but pretty good for a girl.

Don't underestimate the Concept II at your gym either. It hurts but it's worth it.
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
I prefer not to yack about this stuff in public forums, but if you want my two cents, by all means pm me.
Five years and going as a personal trainer and I specialize in older adults working now at the largest health care centre in Guelph.
(and no, in now way am I implying that you are an older adult)

Good luck, keep fightin the fight!