Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'03 zx3 -> '06 ST swap?
So in my search to replace my ghetto fabulous suspension (stock ride in the front, and stock shocks and a 2 inch drop springs in the back...) I found someone locally parting out a pile of 05+ foci. One of which happens to be an ST model. He's offered me (in his own words with a minor edit because he forgot the ST had rear disks) "I have a complete front and rear sport suspension out of a 2006 focus ST complete front and rear $500 that includes spindles, rotors, struts and springs, brake calipers a-arms, rear spindles rotors, brakes, tag axle etc. Everything so it just bolt on and go."

My question is three fold.
A) Is this even an option? I know they changed the suspension slightly on the 06+ models, but how much so, and would the amount of hardware provided negate that issue?

B) What are my options with the suspension afterwards? what kind of "drop" if any would this provide and will there be much of a handling improvement over strait up stock? As well would the dampers be good for up to a 1.5 inch drop later if I snagged a pair of say, steeda springs or would I be looking at replacing those as well? Keeping in mind I'd rather not blow them out. I'd rather ride SUV style and not wreck my ****, than drop it and wind up back where I am (thanks to the previous owners sins, not my own).

C) What else would I need for the disk brake upgrade? Would I be able to use the existing hardware in my 03, or would I need more from the 06 to make it work? Also would I need to upgrade the size of my rims for clearance on the ST rotor's/calipers. I'm running good old stock 15's.

I think that's everything, and I hope I made it at least halfway intelligible.
'03 ZX3, currently nicknamed "Clint Eastwood" (because it's good, bad, and ugly). In process of rebuild to OEM/OEM+ status.
1) it can be done
2) no drop is associated with the ST's suspension, a drop is possible but you still would want struts for best results
3) the brakes would be a great upgrade, front and rear as fronts are larger. you would be able to run 15's no problem and you would need e brake cables and brake lines from the car, thats it i believe
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
hmmm so it's tempting if I can wrangle those extra few pieces from him (included in the deal) but more for the brake upgrade than any for of suspension upgrade (though as I said, anything is better than the ghetto fabulous set up I have now).

My only reservation now is taking note of the general concensus being there is a far more limited number of options for the 06/07 upgrades if i so chose to go that route in the future. That, and trying to convince my buddy who is a die hard nissan nutt to help me out.

Does the $500 sound like a reasonable deal for that set up? (though I am curious what the mileage is on it now)
'03 ZX3, currently nicknamed "Clint Eastwood" (because it's good, bad, and ugly). In process of rebuild to OEM/OEM+ status.