Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subs aren't pounding as they should....
I took the sub and amp setup off my brothers car, and put it in the focus. It's a 10" 1000w JBL sub powered by 600w kenwood amp. It used to pound LOUD in my brothers car, but it's barely an improvement over the 8" stock sub that I had in my car. Don't know whats wrong or if I'm missing somethingConfused I used the audio input of the stock amp, into the speaker level input of the kenwood. Should I be using a line level convertor or something? Or should I get the audio input signal from one of the speakers?
Thanks!
that could very well be it. The stock amp is probaly tuned for a specific input level, using that with an aftermarket amp may very well be a lower signal level going into your amp. I used to own a kenwood amp, also 600watts, it had an adjustment for the linelevel input to compensate if the signal was too high or too low, does yours have this? if it doesnt then that would be the problem.

My other ride is your Mom
(08-31-2011, 08:34 AM)paolo Wrote: that could very well be it. The stock amp is probaly tuned for a specific input level, using that with an aftermarket amp may very well be a lower signal level going into your amp. I used to own a kenwood amp, also 600watts, it had an adjustment for the linelevel input to compensate if the signal was too high or too low, does yours have this? if it doesnt then that would be the problem.

Mine does have the adjustment thing. I cranked it all the way up, it did help, yet it wasn't as effective as it was when it was in brother's vehicle. I bought a line level converter earlier, gonna try that out tmrw.
it really depends on output of deck how much voltage it was giving out compare to yours.
only option without buying new deck is to add line out converter, not fixed one, get adjustable one and up the gain a bit until you hear better output without distorting or unusual noise.
you gotta be careful to balance out even l and r.
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Ahh finally got the damn thing working n poundingBig Grin Big Grin so basically it was a situation where Ford were tryna say, if you don't like our stock sub, then screw yourself and do alll the wiring again yourself. The problem was that I tried getting the audio input from the stock amp input thinking it'll be the same as the speaker output. But it wasn't. Bought a level converter, cranked the gain up max....but no boom. So then I tapped into a speaker wire from the headunit, ran it to the amp, and voila...woke the subs right up to lifeBig Grin no line converter or anything. Even the remote turn on wire on the stock amp wasn't working. I had to get that from the headunit too. I swear ford really wanted to say if you don't like our system, then do everything yourselfAngry
Paul,

just pull the deck out and go double din?

... Big Grin
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
its quite common where factory installed amps and subs do not adhere to industry standards. they use different level for the inputs, different remote turn on power, etc. im glad you got it working in the end.
My other ride is your Mom