Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Krown/Rust Check/Other Options?
Its no secret that out Focus's are pretty much rust magnets. No other 2000-2004 cars are as rusty as ours...

That said I want to get my car rustproofed again this year. I tried a small guy last year but he did a piss poor job and really only sprayed in the doors, trunk lid. Sure the two pain points of the car but the rockers are typically what go first and I have my doubts he hit those at all.

Right now I'm leaning towards Krown.... any cheaper options out there that do a good job?
(10-05-2011, 10:36 PM)hardk0re Wrote: Its no secret that out Focus's are pretty much rust magnets. No other 2000-2004 cars are as rusty as ours...

That said I want to get my car rustproofed again this year. I tried a small guy last year but he did a piss poor job and really only sprayed in the doors, trunk lid. Sure the two pain points of the car but the rockers are typically what go first and I have my doubts he hit those at all.

Right now I'm leaning towards Krown.... any cheaper options out there that do a good job?

My ex brother in law started the Krown franchise here in Brampton - he's an accountant and did a lot of research before buying the franchise and he believes that Krown is far and away the best ... but as you alluded to, it all boils down to the installer. Doesn't matter how good the product is if it's not applied right.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
we only krown our cars at my house and so far there have been no issues. We had a 94 exploder and up until the point we got rid of it (2010) the only rust was on the bottom seem of the drivers door and a bubble right behind the gas tank on the Q panel (usually its a hole by then LOL). Our 96 exploder is still going strong and has ZERO rust anywhere, same with my old 97 Dakota b4 I sold that 2. my fofo is the only one starting to rust (rad cradle, rear sub frame) cuz the previous owner never had it sprayed, but the krown fluid has slowed the spread to crawling pace now
we need a gb on rustproofing Tongue
I know Krown Lakeshore does discounts for The Toronto Mazda 3 club, you may want to try them (car club friendly) and they seem to really well reviewed by those on the forum
David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
Igor or Bobby at Krown Lakeshore. Tell them Kevin at Keystone sent you.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
their rust proofing job is top quality as far as i heard of.
but never ever get anything done related to electronics.
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Our 2009 was done initially when new and every year since.
No spots yet.
I did the 01 SPI at the Ford dealer where I had bought it. For where they sprayed, it was good. They never got the trunklid area so that was a problem down the road. The 07 ZX5 was done in the same fashion (sticky yellow stuff) but I didn't keep it long enough to know if it was going to work as well for that ride. I'm running one of those rust modules on the 08 Escape with winter #4 upcoming. It looks decent, no real rust anywhere. Not sure if you can switch over to it, but it might be looking into as it was the same cost as one year's worth of rust-proofing from the dealer.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ive always heard those electronic rust things are gimmicks - it'll rust anyway.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
I've only seen one, and in fact it was on a car that was all rusty. Esp rusty around where this electronic box was....
I'll post pics of the Escape's underbody. It's really holding well so far. 103K and counting.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
(10-14-2011, 07:09 AM)hardk0re Wrote: I've only seen one, and in fact it was on a car that was all rusty. Esp rusty around where this electronic box was....

the concept is sound, and in fact it is used in a lot of marine applications ... there is a recent case of US warships made in Australia where that type of corrosion prevention system was purposely left off, and now the ships are literally falling apart just a few years after being built.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(10-15-2011, 02:46 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(10-14-2011, 07:09 AM)hardk0re Wrote: I've only seen one, and in fact it was on a car that was all rusty. Esp rusty around where this electronic box was....

the concept is sound, and in fact it is used in a lot of marine applications ... there is a recent case of US warships made in Australia where that type of corrosion prevention system was purposely left off, and now the ships are literally falling apart just a few years after being built.

it must be diffferent electronic rust proofer then.

all ive seen so far is, it detects resistance and turn on warning red light. but that is hardly worked.
ive seen multiple hundred of them installed in engine bay and all i see is rust and still green light stayed on.

and for the people who never do maintanace on their own, they wont even notice it until hoods get opened by mechanics.

BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
from what I've read, whatever it is hooked up to has to be sitting in water for it to work properly. That would explain why it works so well in marine applications
(10-15-2011, 02:18 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: I'll post pics of the Escape's underbody. It's really holding well so far. 103K and counting.

That could be the factory rust proofing. My sisters 2006 golf has never been sprayed, or have one of these devices installed and its extremely clean underneath, no rust whatsoever.

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Actually, it's called "galvanic action".

Put on your science caps.

The reason why iron rusts is (IIRC) because iron (Fe) gives up electrons and ioniozes into Fe+ which then combines with oxygen (air) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in water (liquid or airborn) to create Fe(OH)^3 (rust). Take this and immerse it into a salt solution (an electrolyte), and it speeds the process.

This is "galvanic action", which is basically the same principle that batteries run on. This electron movement creates an electron flow from negative to positive (or conventional current flow from positive to negative).

The premise behind rust-inhibiting devices is to continually bombard the iron with electrons so that iron stays un-ionized (Fe) so it can't combine with the oxygen and hydrozide ions so rust doesn't form.

This is the kicker. In order for the electrons to flow, it needs to create a circuit; just like flicking a light switch turning off a light, you are breaking the circuit path stopping electron flow.

Well, in order for the electrons to flow in rust inhibitors, it has to create a path. But, where? Every sharp edge of steel in a car provides a jump-off point for free electrons. That's why once rust starts it accelerates because the "roughness" of rust is like tiny little peaks that leak electrons faster. So no matter what, there will be spots where these iron ions exist to form rust.

So ... what to do? Well, just like in high school, if you want to get laid, you ask out the "easy girl", the one that gives it up more readily than the others. Chemically, this is called a "sacrificial anode". What you do is introduce something in the circuit that gives up its electrons more readily than the iron. This can be magnesium, aluminum, or various other metals. That way, when it comes to oxidation it eats up the sacrificial anode (key word "sacrificed") which is like the easy girl and leaves the iron (the tease) alone.

Now, in order for the sacrificial anode to work best, it's always better to dip it into an electrolyte like say, salt water. THAT'S why it's extensively used in marine applications, because the ship (or boat) is always in contact with water. The sacrificial anodes need to be periodically replaced as they rot out. In many ships/boats you don't have to even electrify the hull because the galvanic reaction creates its own electricity which charges the hull.

In a car, though, you aren't constantly in contact with water, there is no sacrificial anode in the system that you replace. So while you may get a very small real benefit, the placebo effect is much greater.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rust Check - Killer, Coat & Protect, Inhibitor cornflakes 6 5,035 11-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Last Post: konafocuswrc