Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android?
Is there a double DIN stereo AM/FM digital satellite radio with integrated GPS, rear USB, CD/DVD/MP3 player that runs Android?

Critical requirements:
Double DIN (to fit the Focus)
AM radio (including digital)
FM radio
Satellite radio (at least optional with external module)
GPS with integated touch screen
CD/MP3 player

Not so critical requirements:
Rear USB or internal hard drive
DVD (maybe)

The reason for the Android OS is there is a GPS application that uses Google Earth maps. Disadvantage, you need 3G or better to use it. When we were coming home last summer, the GPS application on my Android smart phone was just plain luscious compared to the Garmin Nuvi map (used side by side, it was like colour compared to B&W.) The Samsung was displaying colour satellite images; the Garmin just line maps.

Android would also allow the reception of streaming internet radio (at least as long as you are driving in an area with 4G coverage which for me is most of southern Saskatchewan.)

Otherwise, would Bluetooth allow video transfer from my phone to the head unit. Can a person use the GPS application on the Android phone and easily transfer the display to the larger screen of the double DIN or tablet? Probably the ideal would be a computer built into the dash (that is for the next car.)

Post any and all suggestions. I will try to find something which will work.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/C...SPH-DA100)

(01-15-2012, 07:22 AM)SVT-WGN Wrote: Is there a double DIN stereo AM/FM digital satellite radio with integrated GPS, rear USB, CD/DVD/MP3 player that runs Android?

Critical requirements:
Double DIN (to fit the Focus)
AM radio (including digital)
FM radio
Satellite radio (at least optional with external module)
GPS with integated touch screen
CD/MP3 player

Not so critical requirements:
Rear USB or internal hard drive
DVD (maybe)

The reason for the Android OS is there is a GPS application that uses Google Earth maps. Disadvantage, you need 3G or better to use it. When we were coming home last summer, the GPS application on my Android smart phone was just plain luscious compared to the Garmin Nuvi map (used side by side, it was like colour compared to B&W.) The Samsung was displaying colour satellite images; the Garmin just line maps.

Android would also allow the reception of streaming internet radio (at least as long as you are driving in an area with 4G coverage which for me is most of southern Saskatchewan.)

Otherwise, would Bluetooth allow video transfer from my phone to the head unit. Can a person use the GPS application on the Android phone and easily transfer the display to the larger screen of the double DIN or tablet? Probably the ideal would be a computer built into the dash (that is for the next car.)

Post any and all suggestions. I will try to find something which will work.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
That's badass, I think I might have to get one of them too.
2006 Focus ZX3/svt wannabe-Pitch Black
2008 Focus SES Sedan/grocery getter-Vista Blue
thats a very nice unit might need to grab that one