Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03-04 hi-flow fuel pump part #?
TL-DR; Have two part numbers for 04 Focus fuel pumps - P76018M and P76060M - 60M is priced higher, assuming that is the hi-flow pump. Is that correct?

So... through various methods of personal determination, I believe my fuel system isn't keeping up with high-RPM demands at speed. *cough*really moving*cough*. Hmmm. I should get that cough looked at.

Now, other factors are at play here:

- Injectors might be dirty/junk. Entirely possible. Going to run another can of injector cleaner through the car this week. When warm, it doesn't stumble... idles smooth as a stock motor. Pulls thru 6000RPMs in the first couple of gears just fine (obv), thru 6000 in 3rd... gets a little tedious.

Also related: I have a set of 30lb injectors in the basement/shed. If I installed those, I'd need to retune ASAP, correct? Tunes run duty cycle based on expected flow by milliseconds, or am I slightly insane today?

Fuel lines - not convinced they're the issue as when not under load, I have no issue hitting the limiter. Also, under WOT at lower RPMs the car pulls stupid-hard for the mods that it has. Even passing in 5th goes off without a hitch.

Fuel pump - think I might be onto something here. It's a '00 model fuel pump. I haven't taken the time to go thru all of the receipts that Stan gave me, but even then he told me that the pile was incomplete. Also, I haven't bounced my VIN off my dealer to see if it was ever done for the fuel pump recall on 00/01 MY cars. I'll be on that this week.

I'm thinking that with whatever mod route I go, I'll need MORE fuel than I have currently. So, in the interest of "upgrades are king", I'll just go up to the 03-04 uprated fuel pump.

Camshafts - I'm told by many, including the guys at C-F-M in Florida, that the cams on the car are horribly restrictive in a purely power-making sense. My power peak as shown from DaSilva last fall, on the stock tune mind, has my peak around 5500. It falls off after that but not precipitously until after 6000. Also of note, that dyno run was in 3rd due to the stock tune and factory governor being in place.

If I stick with my NA aspirations, as seems to be the plan, I'm ordering the Stage "3", second-most extreme Comp Cams from CFM in March. Then, would likely have a phone convo with Randy at FSWerks where he'd likely advise that I install the 30lb injectors and we'd retune.

Engine condition - I've yet to do a compression test, which Oscar and I keep meaning to do, but I'm not of the mind compression is currently an issue for the simple fact that it's not burning oil, it doesn't exhibit any real unwillingness to pull hard when asked and driveability is awesome for a car with almost 337,000KMs on the clock. So while compression is technically possible, I'm not convinced that it's the culprit right now.

So, I'm going to swap the fuel filter soon, likely order and have my buddy install the new fuel pump (the C-F-M listing mentions mods possibly being needed for 00/01 MY installs - what???) and then install the new injectors when the new cams arrive from C-F-M this spring. Also buying either AEM UEGO or Innovate LC-1 wideband to replace the "downstream", turned-off O2 sensor in my header.

Thoughts? Similar occurences? Anything else that I've overlooked?

Can't wait to run down this spring and see a few of you (hopefully more!)!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
(02-15-2012, 01:32 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: TL-DR; Have two part numbers for 04 Focus fuel pumps - P76018M and P76060M - 06M is priced higher, assuming that is the hi-flow pump. Is that correct?

** stuff **

Thoughts? Similar occurences? Anything else that I've overlooked?

Can't wait to run down this spring and see a few of you (hopefully more!)!

Just an initial thought - the stock fuel pump on my red '03 track car, with JRSC BBK @ 8 psi, 42lb injectors and 7200 rpm red line had no trouble providing enough fuel - that was a tad bit under 200 whp.

Also: and I'm just wondering out loud here because I don't really know - but is it possible the high flow fuel pump also requires a return fuel system? If so - that might be more of a job than you bargain for.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Hey bud... I'm not sure. I'll ask the CFM guys about it via their live chat, or I'll just call Vik at FSWerks maybe.

Your 03 likely had the uprated pump stock from Ford, most 03/04s did. After April/04 manufacturing date for the car, the pump got cheaper and I assume was scaled back in performance.

I've already got my mechanic buddy on standby to do the work. I just want all the base systems in the car at 100%. I COULD order the lesser-priced fuel pump, but I was unaware of any mechanical differences between the two and the fuel delivery systems for the 00-02 and 03-04 Zetec were the same that I am aware of. It's just literally a higher-flow pump. But, that's why I came here for clarification.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Want to test your fuel pump for delivery issues, go take an onramp to a highway, even a 90degree merge on less than 1/4 tank and your car should bog right down. That was a clear tell tale sign when my fuel pump went.

An NA car would have a really rough time drying that fuel pump up unless its starting to fail or you have substantial internal engine modifications to use up .

Fuel lines - unless clogged or leaking don't even think about em.

Engine - "...that it's not burning oil, it doesn't exhibit any real unwillingness to pull hard when asked and driveability is awesome for a car with almost 337,000KMs on the clock... " Just because its not burning oil doesn't guarantee the engine is in tip top shape. Its a great sign of a motor with that kind of life on it but doesn't say everything. Hard to test a motor by the butt of your seat as well. In order to be 100% sure, a compression/leak down tester will tell you everything there is to know about what shape your motor is in.

"Also buying either AEM UEGO or Innovate LC-1 wideband to replace the "downstream", turned-off O2 sensor in my header."
Do you have a straight pipe or a cat? If youre running a straight pipe then I could understand why you want to put it there but if you have a cat then you need to add an o2 bung PRE-CAT not POST-CAT. just to be clear Smile

'01 Black Focus ZX3
Custom FI Built 2.2L Zetec // CM Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel // X3 Tune FSWERKS// Ford SVT Brake Kit F&R// KW Springs // KYB AGX Shocks // 22 & 25mm Eibach Sway Set // 2000 Ported IM // FC TB // SVT Header // 3" Custom Header-back Exhaust //many more mods to come...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rs Fuel Pump Clutch 4 1,637 07-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Last Post: ZX3TUNING