Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas mileage
Hi everyone this is my first post but was wondering on the gas mileage with my new 2012 sel focus. My old car was a 1997 Saturn I was getting about 40 mpg in the winter and in the summer getting up to 47 mpg, when it was new it was getting up to 52mpg. So my 1 of 2 questions is why with all the technology why are we still way under even 55 mpg. I know with only just under 4000 kms I am only getting 30.8 mpg average( this is in march weather ) I am not a hard driver in throttle or braking. 2nd what are you getting for mpg?
Winter beater Focus gets like 8.5L/100kms.
Turbo Focus gets around 9.0L/100kms.

The Jeep however, 15.9L/100kms. (Whopping 14.9mpg!)
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Winter 10.7 liters per 100km
Summer 8 liters per 100km

The reason you Saturn seemed to be good on fuel is what I noticed about most GM vehicles. They are made to a lower price so that means lighter material and less of it. I'm not trying to be rude but the Focus is a heavy Bitch. You can tell the difference simply by opening and closing the door of the Focus and doing the same to your Saturn if you still have it.

Enjoy the Focus, it's not dent resistant but it will make you smile! lol
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Same reason why hondas get great mileage......no bawlz Tongue

In all seriousness tho, iv nvr bothered to really watch my mpg (seeing as I work only 4km from my house) but iv noticed differences even between filling up on different brands. When I first bought my SVT I ran s**t-co 94 octane for a few months and it ran like crap; would bog slightly and the engine would miss at idle. Then I switched over to Shell 91 (b4 they added nitrogen) and iv never looked back (no ethanol is the key Tongue). I drove from my place in Oakville to place bonaventure in Montreal for importfest on 3/4 of a tank
(03-05-2012, 12:44 PM)sonic_mikey Wrote: Same reason why hondas get great mileage......no bawlz Tongue

In all seriousness tho, iv nvr bothered to really watch my mpg (seeing as I work only 4km from my house) but iv noticed differences even between filling up on different brands. When I first bought my SVT I ran s**t-co 94 octane for a few months and it ran like crap; would bog slightly and the engine would miss at idle. Then I switched over to Shell 91 (b4 they added nitrogen) and iv never looked back (no ethanol is the key Tongue). I drove from my place in Oakville to place bonaventure in Montreal for importfest on 3/4 of a tank

SHELL alllll the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

(03-05-2012, 12:51 PM)Scorcher000 Wrote: SHELL alllll the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

being an apprentice and spending 2 years in college learning this stuff, id have to say the above statement is correct...... Big Grin B)
Thanks for all of your post. Just wondering thou what are you getting kms/L I am getting 12.8 to 13.2 the dealer fill it up so don't know where they got it from. 1 thing that ford could do is better gears to reduce the rpm's. I know it would hurt the pick up but for those of us like better gas mileage it helps. I know the wife 2006 saturn runs at the same rpm as the focus but my 1997 saturn was better just saying.
I've got some toys added to mine that were really designed for burning gas up instead of saving it lol.

I know on the Highway I get great mileage almost pushing 700+km per tank and thats @130-140kph and with the 4speed auto/overdrive 140 sits @ about 3100RPM. So that being said around the city gas is wasted but I honestly don't care about it. We are all gettting screwed and theres no way to stop it lol.

700KM/tank is wicked!!! I never even got that in my Matrix.
I get 400 if I am lucky
360 average.

700km/ tank??wow

2 of my focus had around 18mpg, sorry i am comfortable with mile per gallon. focus tank = 13.2 gallon
around 382km per tank.

with turbocharger, kept under 3000rpm, not on boost(my turbo charger kicks above 3750rpm) gave me around 595km per tank.
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Ya I do alright on the highway lol.

And thats awesome that the Turbo not on boost gave you a better number lol

Shell 91 I get 550 a tank on the highway ripping 120-130.

Most I ever got was 750 and that's because I tail gated an 18 wheeler at night for a couple hours on the way back to Ottawa, on the 401. He was nice he never tried to shake me off lol. Key there was that I'd pop out every now and then just to be all "Hey! I'm still back here Smile"

I average 4-450km though.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(03-06-2012, 12:14 PM)scubadiver Wrote: Thanks for all of your post. Just wondering thou what are you getting kms/L I am getting 12.8 to 13.2 the dealer fill it up so don't know where they got it from. 1 thing that ford could do is better gears to reduce the rpm's. I know it would hurt the pick up but for those of us like better gas mileage it helps. I know the wife 2006 saturn runs at the same rpm as the focus but my 1997 saturn was better just saying.

Since July, I'm averaging 7.7 total. Do you have the DCT or the manual transmission?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
(03-09-2012, 01:27 AM)oldeguy Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 12:14 PM)scubadiver Wrote: Thanks for all of your post. Just wondering thou what are you getting kms/L I am getting 12.8 to 13.2 the dealer fill it up so don't know where they got it from. 1 thing that ford could do is better gears to reduce the rpm's. I know it would hurt the pick up but for those of us like better gas mileage it helps. I know the wife 2006 saturn runs at the same rpm as the focus but my 1997 saturn was better just saying.

Since July, I'm averaging 7.7 total. Do you have the DCT or the manual transmission?

Hi our new sel model 2012 focus has a 6 speed automatic trans
ya when i had my focus i was getting between 350 - 450 depending how i drive
my focus's have always been around 550 - 650 a tank
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
I did a trip gas mileage check this morning on the way to work. 50 kilometers, all highway, doing 100 km/hr. No stopping, mileage was 40.8 miles per gallon, or 5.6 l/100 k
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
I'm not sure how the break-in period for the new engines compares with the older Duratec models, but with my Duratec (07 ZX5 SES auto) I didn't start to see "real" fuel economy until at least 6000KMs.

Also, have you considered switching to synthetic motor oil? I find it actually does bring your overall fuel economy up a bit and the increase in cost isn't that bad for a 4-cyl engine. Plus, you can stretch our your oil change intervals some. Again, this takes some of the bite out of the yearly cost difference for synthetic vs. dino-grade.

Another thing that comes to mind is have you talked to your dealer about the firmware update for the DCT (automatic trans)? The revamped firmware makes a world of difference in driveability and it even seems to be bolstering the fuel economy numbers for more than a few people.

I have a fairly modded Zetec with almost 338,000KMs on it - I average 7.8-8.5L/100KMs on the highway at 130+. I get down near 7L flat at a 100 KM/H dead run... but I never seem to be able to hold it there for long Wink Even better at 90KM/H on the TransCanada up here when I have nowhere to be in particular.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Thanks for the reply on gas mileage they said it would take about 5000 kms to see how good mpg it is so I'll have to wait and see. But what you are talking about seems right when you stop and think about it. Just disappointed about all the car manufacturers that they have the technology to have better mpg but they are not wanting to use it. Think if we consumers get together and say we want better mpg then the manufacturers would have to step up to the plate, so to speak.

(03-14-2012, 09:30 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: I'm not sure how the break-in period for the new engines compares with the older Duratec models, but with my Duratec (07 ZX5 SES auto) I didn't start to see "real" fuel economy until at least 6000KMs.

Also, have you considered switching to synthetic motor oil? I find it actually does bring your overall fuel economy up a bit and the increase in cost isn't that bad for a 4-cyl engine. Plus, you can stretch our your oil change intervals some. Again, this takes some of the bite out of the yearly cost difference for synthetic vs. dino-grade.

Another thing that comes to mind is have you talked to your dealer about the firmware update for the DCT (automatic trans)? The revamped firmware makes a world of difference in driveability and it even seems to be bolstering the fuel economy numbers for more than a few people.

I have a fairly modded Zetec with almost 338,000KMs on it - I average 7.8-8.5L/100KMs on the highway at 130+. I get down near 7L flat at a 100 KM/H dead run... but I never seem to be able to hold it there for long Wink Even better at 90KM/H on the TransCanada up here when I have nowhere to be in particular.

My best tank so far was 600kms, premium gas, in my 06 ST ZX4. my average is around 450 a tank. again on premium gas. my only engine mod so far is a K&N CAI
Current: 2006 Focus ZX4 ST. Tuxedo Black and Sterling Grey
Mods: 7" double din Alpine touch screen audio unit, K&N typhoon CAI, Steeda short shifter, custom two tone paint, rear wing delete, Angel eye headlight kit with 6000K HID upgrade, tinted windows, tail lights, and marker lights, Eibach Sportline springs on Tokico shocks and struts, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit. 17x7 Ikon Black Zen Wheels. Massive front and rear upper strut bar.