Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stealth CAI - Upgraded to K&N couple of questions
Im looking for a little help. I was installing my new headlights into my car and i was checking out the filter box that is under my headlight and goes into my fender. The box that holds the filter itself was apart and i could actually stick my finger in and touch the filter. I assume this is not a good thing considering that there is air passing through the opening and not through the filter. I was wondering if anyone has done the stealth CAI and if they have any tips for doing this. I assume you just pull all of the useless plastic out after MAF tube and slap a cone filter on? I would get an intake but this seems like the most cost effective way to do this for me. If anyone knows what size filter slips onto the tube as well that would help otherwise i will just measure then get the filter. Oh ans PS i have an 07 2.0 duratec
Thanks
Who makes the stealth? I had the FSWerks Duratec Race CAI and never had any issues with it on my 07 ZX5.

You remove the entire stock intake tract, all the way back to the TB. Then, you bolt on the CAI as per the shipped instructions. It's damn simple, really. Also, make sure you order the re-conditioning spray for the ITG foam filter if you go with the FSW CAI. Maintain the filter as per their instructions and you won't have an issue.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
the stealth intake is using your stock intake piping to make a cold air intake, its not a brand. But i have actually since found the website with instructions on how to make this. Here is the link if anyone is interested in trying it themself, i think i might try this on the weekend.
http://www.ineedawebsite.com/BlazingCopp...20CAI.html
Don't re-use any of that bastard air box. Pull the snuffleupagus trunk out of the fenderwell while you're at it, too. Run some serious piping or you're just wasting time and money.

I'll re-recommend the FSWerks CAI. It's worth every penny if you're not going F/I anytime soon.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
yea i plan on removing anything that i dont use ie. the tubes in the fender. i will take pics this weekend and post if i end up doing this... right now i would rather do some suspension work ahead of a fsworks intake. I am really only going to do this because i noticed the split in my airbox.
Red green the split in the box lol
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(03-17-2012, 09:33 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: Red green the split in the box lol

Its a good thing that i took this appart on the weekend because i found out that my whole filter box was smashed to hell. Red Green would have had to use a lot of duct tape to fix the box. Now that the new filter is on the engine feels more smooth and it actually made my engine sound quiet compared to what it was. Im glad that i fixed it this weekend but i am afraid of how long the box was cracked and how much air got past the filter. Either way its fixed now and i am happy with it, its a pretty simple mod if anyone is thinking about doing this.
Here are the pictures of the smashed box and the rest of the crap i took out

ok so i got a great deal on a K&N CAI and i dont have the instructions on how to hook it all up. I know how to hook up most of it like the MAF but there is a hole on the intake very close to where you clamp it into the throttle body. What is this hole for? and the guy mentioned that he had problems with whatever goes into this hole, he said someting melted and that its a common problem, did anyone else have this problem or did you just use the rubber gromet that was supplied? thanks guys
no one has a K&N on teir duratec?
(05-30-2012, 11:59 PM)_JET_ Wrote: no one has a K&N on teir duratec?

sorry no - but surely K&N has the instructions on their site?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
why didnt i think of this? i went to the site and found the install instructions right away. Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok I just installed this CAI and I don't think it makes any more power then what I was feeling from the "stealth" intake I had but the noise coming from my engine is soo much nicer. This intake says on K&N website that its for the 2.3 but when I look at fswerks it uses the same intake for both engines. I think I can assume that it works for both but I want to make sure. Can anyone answer this and does yours make it sounds a lot louder over stock?
(06-01-2012, 07:42 AM)_JET_ Wrote: Ok I just installed this CAI and I don't think it makes any more power then what I was feeling from the "stealth" intake I had but the noise coming from my engine is soo much nicer. This intake says on K&N website that its for the 2.3 but when I look at fswerks it uses the same intake for both engines. I think I can assume that it works for both but I want to make sure. Can anyone answer this and does yours make it sounds a lot louder over stock?

If it fits then it works. The CAI should make a lot more noise than a stock intake - that's sort of the point: to free up the induction of air will by definition create more noise. Having said that, for most engines the increase in power will be felt mostly in the higher RPM range - especially on an engine that is otherwise stock - it really won't increase torque much if at all which is why it won't feel much different in normal driving.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I feel more power over the stock intake for sure, that thing is soo restrictive. The noise coming from my engine alone is worth the money i paid for the intake haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Couple Exhaust Questions SliverSteeda 10 3,846 12-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Last Post: kamilk69