Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice / Recommendations Needed
So if you followed my crate engine from hell thread you know that Topspeed finally agreed to pay for the return shipping - well now I'm not sure if I want to send it back.

We ended up installing the headers and supercharger on the existing motor (238k) and wouldn't you know it I now have an intermittent oil pressure light. Once warm it flickers and goes solid at a slow idle, but with just the slightest throttle it goes out. And although it could be my imagination I think I hear a bit of "looseness" in the engine.

I checked the level of course, and I even put in an engine flush and changed the oil - no change - and then I put in a "high mileage" oil additive - again, no change. So now I think I might be losing the engine.

So ... any ideas about what else I can do to diagnose the problem with the existing engine ...

And I'm also thinking I should pay an engine shop to rebuild the crate motor I got from Topspeed - so who do you recommend and considering no new parts or machining is required (I think/hope) and maybe just a gasket / seal kit - how much should I have to pay.

Thanks guys for your input.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Well you could do it all yourself if you have the time and you baby your engine now...

But if you don't have the time I'm not really sure where you could go. DaSilva would be great but I'm sure they don't come cheap seeing how the dyno costs $200 per hour. Master Performance would be my next stop as I'm sure they have fought side by side with the DaSilva boyz on the strip over the years and plus they are closer lol.

You know me Ken and I rather do it myself But give Master Performance a visit on Kenedy south of Clearance st.

http://www.masterperformanceplus.com/

Good Luck
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

for your current issue all you can do is a oil pressure test with a test gauge. One of the best engine builders around is Gord Bush http://www.gordbush.ca/ he builds most of the touring car engines in canada
i had auto service and supply do my motor the bored/honed/acid dipped the block and acid dipped and rebuild my head for 175$ there located on vine street here in downtown hammer guys name is Matt. they also resurface flywheels
on side note maybe your oil sending unit is faulty???
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(04-20-2012, 10:05 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: i had auto service and supply do my motor the bored/honed/acid dipped the block and acid dipped and rebuild my head for 175$ there located on vine street here in downtown hammer guys name is Matt. they also resurface flywheels
thanks for the input so far - and yeah I thought about that Sean but geez the engine has 238k on it - even if it is the sending unit this time, how many more clicks can I get out of this engine at 8 psi and doing track weekends?

I'm thinking I just bite the bullet right now and maybe having a brand new crate engine isn't such a bad thing even if it does need reassembly. How many really low km zetecs could there be out there?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
doesnt really matter how many clicks are on an engine if your gonna rebuild it anyway...mine supposidly had 5,000km on it when i ripped it apart...sure looked more like 500,000km by the shape it was in though...mine runs fine besides a neverending oil leak i cant find ANYWHERE..so im gonna pull mine agian this winter tear it all aprt for a 3rd time and reassemble all over agian....it never ends lol
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
Stupid question, did you check the oil pump and wiring connections for the oil pressure sensor on the current engine? I'm suspecting that if you did track days with that engine and oil sloshed around without a baffle, the pump may have run dry a few times (which probably isn't good for it). I'd drop the oil pan and take a look before going any further in the rebuild process.

If you're going to rebuild the other engine, tear it apart yourself and bring the cylinder head assembly (springs, valves, seals all intact) along with the block bare to the rebuilder. The more broken down the engine, the more cash you save (although not sure if they will hold warranty for the repairs). Have them check for warpage and pressure testing the head. If all is good, this is a good time for upgrading, cylinder boring, deck shaving (or whatever you want to do). I'd suggest if you go this route, have the engine rebuilder assemble the engine back together to ensure that timing isn't screwed up.

Just to let you know, I do have a bias for sending this to the rebuilder as my dad's been an engine rebuilder for 30 years, but as stated, you can do a lot of the work yourself. Just maybe before you start, talk to a good shop before going any further to discuss cost/warranty/liability.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
i would put a new gasket on the new motor and do all the proper test and then deside if u should send it back or just build your motor fresh and bullit proof
(04-20-2012, 10:05 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: i had auto service and supply do my motor the bored/honed/acid dipped the block and acid dipped and rebuild my head for 175$ there located on vine street here in downtown hammer guys name is Matt. they also resurface flywheels

I can throw another +1 at Auto Service and Supply. I had them R&R my head when I rebuilt the engine for my Scirocco back in 04'. Great service, good communication, and very competitive pricing.

-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
Don't go to aero hill engine rebuilders in Vaughan. Terrible customer service, I had towed my
Focus to them from Oshawa (not cheap) after they said they'd do the engine swap.... Except after they got it the guy turned into an ass and refused to work on the car

Long story short, they did 90% of the engine swap - enough to get the car running. There was a lot
Of small things they skipped out on and they changed te price from 600 (agreed over the phone) to 700 on the day of. The focus died around the block
From where they were and I ended up having to get it towed back to Oshawa after all
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
im betting your oil pump pick up in the pan has some carbon build up on it. Pull the pan and take a look at the screen, if its all covered in black s**t, brake clean the crap out of it.