Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The scourge of peeling rockers and trunk brake lights...
Anybody know how I should tackle these problem spots on my Focus?

[Image: IMG-20120830-00176Medium.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20120830-00175Medium.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20120830-00174Medium.jpg]

I'd love to take it to somebody to get it fixed, but it's the $$$ I'm afraid of. I have the tools, paint & primer, just not the know-how. I've done some basic touch up before, but this goes beyond what I've done in the past.

Exact colour matching/blending on the rockers doesn't matter, as I'll be putting my ZX3 skirts back on for winter. It's just mainly the prep I need help with.

Any tips/ideas/links would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
(08-31-2012, 03:34 AM)reldridge Wrote: Anybody know how I should tackle these problem spots on my Focus?

I'd love to take it to somebody to get it fixed, but it's the $$$ I'm afraid of. I have the tools, paint & primer, just not the know-how. I've done some basic touch up before, but this goes beyond what I've done in the past.

Exact colour matching/blending on the rockers doesn't matter, as I'll be putting my ZX3 skirts back on for winter. It's just mainly the prep I need help with.

Any tips/ideas/links would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

What's the bottom of your rockers like? Mine were'nt as bad as yours in terms of peeling paint along the side, but the bottom was rotten - I could push holes in it with my bare hands.

The type of repair you might get into will probably depend on whether or not you're replacing metal, or just touching up the paint.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
They're actually very solid. I've had the car rust proofed often, so it's mainly paint that has been sandblasted off.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'd just grab a pair of ZX3 side skirts and put them on over, it would be your cheapest solution since paint is super expensive nowadays.

It doesn't sole all the issues but most of it.
(08-31-2012, 09:01 PM)castone Wrote: I'd just grab a pair of ZX3 side skirts and put them on over, it would be your cheapest solution since paint is super expensive nowadays.

If colour isn't an issue just sand it down, smooth it out, mask it off and apply rocker guard. In terms of the trunk, it might be easiest to simply get a new trunk from the wreckers.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

(08-31-2012, 09:46 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 09:01 PM)castone Wrote: I'd just grab a pair of ZX3 side skirts and put them on over, it would be your cheapest solution since paint is super expensive nowadays.

If colour isn't an issue just sand it down, smooth it out, mask it off and apply rocker guard. In terms of the trunk, it might be easiest to simply get a new trunk from the wreckers.

No priming required for rocker guard?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
I was impressed how my rockers were so solid, only a touch of surface rust. Now I can push my fingers through in spots. I'm thinking a drain plug is covered because I took it for a quick boot and could hear water sloshing... not good. Maybe constant driving would force the water out at a different spot and kept things dry.
(09-01-2012, 12:09 PM)reldridge Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 09:46 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote:

No priming required for rocker guard?

Pretty sure the surface doesn't require priming before rocker guard but if you have bare metal after grinding it down you probably want to prime that before rocker guard - and if you have any surface rust maybe one of those rust converters before you cover it up.

After recently putting new metal on my rockers I finished them off just with rocker guard - looks okay IMO.

(09-03-2012, 05:11 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: Pretty sure the surface doesn't require priming before rocker guard but if you have bare metal after grinding it down you probably want to prime that before rocker guard - and if you have any surface rust maybe one of those rust converters before you cover it up.

After recently putting new metal on my rockers I finished them off just with rocker guard - looks okay IMO.

The plan is to put the ZX3 skirts back on, but if I do rocker guard, I'll skip that.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
(09-03-2012, 01:34 AM)moon111 Wrote: I was impressed how my rockers were so solid, only a touch of surface rust. Now I can push my fingers through in spots. I'm thinking a drain plug is covered because I took it for a quick boot and could hear water sloshing... not good. Maybe constant driving would force the water out at a different spot and kept things dry.

I had the same issue in my 05.
I had to get underneath it and unclog all the drain holes and then I emptied an entire can of Rust Cure Formula 3000 in the rockers.

I stick a small screw driver in the holes everyonce and a while just to make sure there not clogged again.
where are you located?
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(09-05-2012, 10:13 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: where are you located?

Ottawa... Wanna come fix them for me? Big Grin
++++++++++++++++++++++++
I had the same issue on my focus , it came with rocker guard from factory , but they would peel by the front wheel. Basically sanded down to a smooth finish and re-rockerguarded them , a little thicker this time , and then painted te rocker guard to match. I used the off white rockerguard ,and its completly paintable.

I have done the same, I had almost no rust on my 03 when I bought it last year just the doors were rusty. I sanded it down on the rust spots, tapped it off and applied the rocker guard, then painted with a rattle can. It's not professional looking but if it saves my rockers and doors that's all I care about.
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
(09-05-2012, 11:27 PM)reldridge Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 10:13 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: where are you located?

Ottawa... Wanna come fix them for me? Big Grin

IF you solve my vibration problem i will help you with your rocker panels and brake light Tongue