Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets talk exhaust
Okay, So my first mod on my focus was an original focus sport 2.25" stealth exhaust from GFXJamie (how we met...good ol kijiji haha). So now im thinking of upgrading from the downpipe all the way back. cuz mines looking pretty ratty and mangled now.

So what size do you think i should go? no less than 2.5" for sure, or should I goto 3". I know lots of people talk about back pressure and whatnot...but is the idea behind an exhaust for performance to make it as free flowing as possible???

Also keep in mind Im running a zetec so im not putting out crazy power, hence why im also not sure if a 3" would really do much for me. Any suggestions!
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
go big or go home. I am now on my 3rd exhaust and that is because i have had to keep upgrading to keep up with goals. If you do it all once, you will save money, time and shipping lol

Go 3" with a resonator and 8" round muffler. you can go tru bendz and get it all pretty cheap as an entire kit, or buy the piping and pick your muffler to add in to it. For a turbo set up, you want the least back pressure possible. Now i know you have that little itty bitty IHI that you want to run, but regardless of turbo size you can still make use of the larger exhaust. Once you upgrade the turbo you will be set for more boost and more power.

What the size of the exhaust and back pressure changes for you, is where you make your power. Small exhaust will give you lots of really low end punch but you will die up top because you can not flow any more air. Instead of peaking horsepower at below 5,000rpm, you can shift the power band up. Same thing goes with any other mods that create a higher efficiency. An intake manifold does the same thing, where it will shift your power band depending on its specifications. Just text me next time lol
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
sounds good. and dont make fun of mini turbo! haha at least its a turbo! its finally getting some boost. woohoo!

what about catalytic converter? should I tack an aftermarket one on as well or does it really matter?
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
Does anyone sell Trubendz around the GTA?

DRyanC
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame
no cats, get 2 flanges welded in and bolt in a test pipe and have a cat for e test purposes. Easy swap in, easy swap out. Thats what my plan is when i have to get smog in the upcoming years

and no, nobody far as i know sells trubendz other then their website. just google them, its mandrel bent exhausts or something like that.

If your making over 300 go to a 3 inch , but honestly anything under 300 is fine with a 2.5.
^^ do you know from experience?

sure it is fine, but you will not make the most power and i know that from experience. When you go boost you always want more, so make everything ready to grow in the future instead of spending money twice. my 2.5" turbo back could not keep up in the upper power band when i was making 230whp and it was a big difference going to 3".

(10-04-2012, 11:00 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: ^^ do you know from experience?

sure it is fine, but you will not make the most power and i know that from experience. When you go boost you always want more, so make everything ready to grow in the future instead of spending money twice. my 2.5" turbo back could not keep up in the upper power band when i was making 230whp and it was a big difference going to 3".
No I dont know from experience .I know from reading the dsport issue about building an efficent motor.
real world experience and reading a magazine and online conversations can only take you so far. Thats the reason i dont go on focus fanatics.

Not only that, but every motor and set up is different. Even i have a different motor and set up, but the basics still apply. The more air you can flow, the more efficient your set up can be.

Here are 2 dyno sheets, one with 2.5" turbo back and stock intake manifold, other with 3" back and cossie manifold. I know it isnt a direct comparison, as boost changed too, but the second run revs out to 7300, first one to 7000. At 7300 the car is still doing very well, torque is very slowly dropping in the top end but stays very flat while the power climbs. in the first run, it drops off pretty good in the upper rev's and you can see the horse power drop too in the top end. At that point revving to 7300 would of been pointless as power dropped off to much.

Just a visual for you. If i had turned up the boost without the add in's my torque would have peaked and dropped off harder as the intake and exhaust would not of been able to flow it to red line like it can now.
[Image: JAMIESDYNOSHEET.jpg]

[Image: jamiesdyno001.jpg]

well, im sold. haha Time to bump up to a 3". You cant argue with charts lol now find me a decent intake mani for the zetec and im set

...because RACECAR! haha
topspeed, or contact jim braun in florida as he makes some really nice one off parts (roushturboedzx3 on some forums)

those are really the only nice flowing units out there. The FR one is just a nicer stock piece, sure it flows, but not nearly as well. The early 2000 is ok with porting but once again, wayyyy better options out there. The topspeed unit with small plenun long runner would be good for your set up, unless you wind it out to 7500+ then you would want the large plenum short runner

Don't you need an SVT intake part and use cupplers to hold everything together for top speeds intake?

...because RACECAR! haha
yes you do, easiest way for them to make it is by using an OEM port matched piece off the SVT. Makes it real easy to install too

where the hell am i going to find an svt intake peice? lol ive seen whole svt intakes for sale on forums and whatnot, but not just the OEM port part, cuz they seperate do they not?
nevermind i found it...cfm sells them...

...because RACECAR! haha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets talk exhaust stupica1 1 966 10-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Oscar The Grouch
  Lets Talk Body Kits ZTS_DJ 10 2,655 08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Last Post: ZX3TUNING