Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Need clutch & flywheel
My clutch gave out and it seems that dual-mass flywheels should be replaced, not re-used.
Has anyone re-used one without trouble?
I see there are single-mass conversion kits out there as well.
Is there a good source for either in the GTA, or is ordering from the USA the better route?
I see dual-mass clutch and flywheels kits for as little as US$370, and single-mass conversion kits around US$500.
Any experience and suggestions would be welcome!
Ive heard the same about re-using them. I would try to go with a new clutch/flywheel route, but if your flywheel is in decent shape and doesn't have any bad scores or hot spots then i'd rough it up with some 200 grit sand paper and put a new clutch in. Saves you time, money and works.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
(01-10-2013, 10:10 AM)Burnin21 Wrote: Ive heard the same about re-using them. I would try to go with a new clutch/flywheel route, but if your flywheel is in decent shape and doesn't have any bad scores or hot spots then i'd rough it up with some 200 grit sand paper and put a new clutch in. Saves you time, money and works.

I did a lot of research on the subject and learned what to look for. It appeared ok at first, but upon examination it was indeed shot. From what I read, even if it is good it won't last the life of the new clutch. And tranny removal is a pain in these cars as you have to support the engine and drop the subframe.
I wound up ordering a clutch, release bearing and dual-mass flywheel from Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline (in Indiana) for $360 shipped. I'm going to Buffalo this weekend anyway, so it's being sent to my hotel (no HST). I found a single-mass (solid) flywheel and standard clutch in Florida for about $300 plus shipping, which wasn't that big of a savings so I'll stick with the DMF setup.

05ST
I just ordered the stage 2 from fswerks. Pricy but should be fun. Lol
But ya definitely try to change them as a pair
2007 black Ford Focus 2.0L zx3.
Powertrain: K&N short ram intake,CFM 65mm throttle body,Fswerks under drive pulley kit,2.5" Fswerks race exhaust,fswerks tune.
Drivetrain: Steeda short throw shifter,ST knob,stage 2 Exedy clutch/flywheel.
Suspension/Chassis: VF rear engine poly mount, all Fswerks-front upper stress bar,rear upper stress bar,front lower stress bar, SVT suspension kit with Ford Racing lowering springs,CFM tubular control arms.
Brakes/Wheels: Ford Racing black rally rims with Maxis rubber, Marco slotted and drilled front rotors,blue Hawk pads,1" spacers at rear,.5" spacers at front.
Cool stuff: 10" P1 sub with JBL amp,lime green valve cover with Fswerks engine cover custom.Big Grin
(02-15-2013, 04:10 AM)pogo Wrote: I just ordered the stage 2 from fswerks. Pricy but should be fun. Lol
But ya definitely try to change them as a pair

what kind of future power do you plan on putting down?
'01 Black Focus ZX3
Custom FI Built 2.2L Zetec // CM Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel // X3 Tune FSWERKS// Ford SVT Brake Kit F&R// KW Springs // KYB AGX Shocks // 22 & 25mm Eibach Sway Set // 2000 Ported IM // FC TB // SVT Header // 3" Custom Header-back Exhaust //many more mods to come...