Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery relocation/jumper terminals
Question 
hey guys im relocating the battery to the spare tire well and the battery will then have plywood with hardflooring overtop of it making the battery a pain to access if i need to jump it . i decided to get the taylor jumper terminals so it would be alot easier to jump the car if need be.

my question is whats the best place to mount the jumper terminals?
i thought about the firewall in the engine bay but then i would have to run a power wire back to the front agian wouldnt i? or could i run a power wire from the altenator/starter?

then i though about mounting them under the car under the battery?

i dont want to mount them anywhere in sight (ie. rear bumper)

thanks for the help guys
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(01-16-2013, 01:42 AM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: hey guys im relocating the battery to the spare tire well and the battery will then have plywood with hardflooring overtop of it making the battery a pain to access if i need to jump it . i decided to get the taylor jumper terminals so it would be alot easier to jump the car if need be.

i thought about the firewall in the engine bay but then i would have to run a power wire back to the front agian wouldnt i? or could i run a power wire from the altenator/starter?

thanks for the help guys

Doesn't the relocation kit come with a couple of jumper points that stay up under the hood?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(01-16-2013, 02:39 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(01-16-2013, 01:42 AM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: hey guys im relocating the battery to the spare tire well and the battery will then have plywood with hardflooring overtop of it making the battery a pain to access if i need to jump it . i decided to get the taylor jumper terminals so it would be alot easier to jump the car if need be.

thanks for the help guys

Doesn't the relocation kit come with a couple of jumper points that stay up under the hood?

i already have my power wire ran so all im buying is just a box for the battery i already had the extra wire. just not sure where i shoult mount the terminals?
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(01-16-2013, 02:45 AM)drunkinmonkey Wrote:
(01-16-2013, 02:39 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:

thanks for the help guys

i already have my power wire ran so all im buying is just a box for the battery i already had the extra wire. just not sure where i shoult mount the terminals?

I'd still find a spot under the hood - the ground is easy enough, and maybe where the hot wire from the battery connects to whatever spot up front.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

ya i was thinking under the hood aswell just not sure where. dont really have room on the firewall
Instagram @o_so_slo
I was gonna say under the hood as well. Somewhere by where the stock airbox woulda been; On the drivers wheel well?
07 ST 23D • MBRP 2.25 cat-back • cfm 67mm TB • K&n Typhoon • Massive poly dogbone insert • Massive BSD • FRPP Dynamic springs & struts • carbon fibre shift boot & brake boot • SVT HVAC controls • steeda short throw shifter • Tinted w/ brow • SOON TO BE BOOSTED •
Looking to do this aswell. Im going to get a distribution box with 2-0 Gauge outlets and 4-4 gauge posts. 1 for the fuse box, 1 for the starter, and the other two as extras. As for the 0-gauge ones. It will be 1 to the back of the car, and 1 for the jumper terminal. Seems to be the best solution for the job. What kind of battery are you fitting in the spare tire well?
(01-16-2013, 12:36 PM)zx3kash Wrote: Looking to do this aswell. Im going to get a distribution box with 2-0 Gauge outlets and 4-4 gauge posts. 1 for the fuse box, 1 for the starter, and the other two as extras. As for the 0-gauge ones. It will be 1 to the back of the car, and 1 for the jumper terminal. Seems to be the best solution for the job. What kind of battery are you fitting in the spare tire well?

I'm just gonna use the battery I have. Standard size for the focus. I already got the power cable ran do to the stero I had in the car and they left alof of extra slack so I'm good that way. Also have my distribution block for my old stereo as well all I had to buy was a box and the terminals that was it
Instagram @o_so_slo
You just need a spot for 1 terminal +, put it anywhere up front. Weld a bracket right to a strut tower and mount it there with the insulated standoff and your good to go.
i got a negative and a positive terminal. they came in a pack of 2.. ill tinker this weekend and try to find a good spot
Instagram @o_so_slo
But you don't need a negative...any metal exposed point on the engine/chassis is as good as ground...

In fact they always recommend you don't connect negative right to the battery when its under the hood, they recommend a chassis point instead. Thats because of explosive gasses from the depleated battery but anyway chassis points are the way to to it. When I did my bat relocate I just had a + up front, along with my + distribution block.
ya i under stand what you are saying. i wasnt going to run a negative wire i was just going to drill a whole and mount the negative terminal and run a 2" wire from the terminal to the chassis..to me just looks cleaner and if it comes 2 in a pack might aswell use both the -/+
Instagram @o_so_slo
So is the battery going to stick up over the spare tire well at all? Going to make a false floor?
I already have a hardwood floor in the trunk. If it to big I can put 1 by around the perimeter to bring it up higher
Instagram @o_so_slo
(01-16-2013, 12:42 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: I'm just gonna use the battery I have. Standard size for the focus. I already got the power cable ran do to the stero I had in the car and they left alof of extra slack so I'm good that way. Also have my distribution block for my old stereo as well all I had to buy was a box and the terminals that was it

I hope you have a dry cell battery, or a sealed battery box vented to the outside of the car
red 00' zx3 daily driven

I have a little stock pile building of extra parts building, MSG if you need anything

Sealed battery box sir
Instagram @o_so_slo
Terminals came in today
[Image: BA30C7FA-08FD-4023-BD02-E514E5B9D222-807...933A5C.jpg]

Oh and this is the box I got
[Image: 00576DCE-73A3-4F9D-B1CB-6ABD661D96F2-566...035933.jpg]
Instagram @o_so_slo
Sealed is not something that box can say. I had it when my batt failed my car stunk to high hell. It looks pretty tho.
(01-18-2013, 05:59 AM)hardk0re Wrote: Sealed is not something that box can say. I had it when my batt failed my car stunk to high hell. It looks pretty tho.

im hoping with it being in the box and under an 1" thick flooring in the trunk the smell wont be bad..that and i have about 45 black ice air freshners sitting at home and about 20 in the car now lol ill get ride of the smell pretty quick lol
Instagram @o_so_slo
(01-18-2013, 07:15 AM)drunkinmonkey Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 05:59 AM)hardk0re Wrote: Sealed is not something that box can say. I had it when my batt failed my car stunk to high hell. It looks pretty tho.

im hoping with it being in the box and under an 1" thick flooring in the trunk the smell wont be bad..that and i have about 45 black ice air freshners sitting at home and about 20 in the car now lol ill get ride of the smell pretty quick lol

You could seal it along the top and bottom seams with Plasti Dip spray and then when you wanted to open it the Plasti Dip will peel off. Plasti Dip is resistant to acid and has a very high (low?) dielectric property - made by the same people who make liquid electrical tape.