Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plsti Dip - Pre dip
What does everyone use before they dip? I plan on doing my rims with the gloss this weekend just wonder what is the best pre dip method. When I dipped my bumper lip, grill and lights I just cleaned them with soap and water.
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
(05-02-2013, 11:11 AM)Lucster1000 Wrote: What does everyone use before they dip? I plan on doing my rims with the gloss this weekend just wonder what is the best pre dip method. When I dipped my bumper lip, grill and lights I just cleaned them with soap and water.

Yup soap and water thats all I didn't I was scared to use any sort of polish or wax incase it didn't grab on to what I was dipping as good.
That works, just make sure the surface is really clean, i used wax and grease remover before doing my rims.
The worst is when the paint is drying an air debris falls on to it and you gotta do it over again Sad
Yea they sell some sort of predip stuff , I dipped my rims white and there not holding up very well , especially on the fronts.
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
(05-02-2013, 03:17 PM)2000zx3sct Wrote: Yea they sell some sort of predip stuff , I dipped my rims white and there not holding up very well , especially on the fronts.

Personally I wouldn't use soap because no matter how much you rinse there is likely to be a little residue left on the surface - and certainly you wouldn't use polish or wax.

What you want is a fairly strong industrial type de-greaser available almost anywhere including Costco or Home Depot.

Some of the key ingredients you want to look for are things like 2-BE (2-Butoxyethanol) and NPE (Nonylphenol Ethoxylate) and Sodium Metasilicate - and although these sound pretty nasty, you can probably find any number of so-called "Green" cleaners that have these ingredients. Try to make sure your cleaner is phosphate free.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(05-02-2013, 03:17 PM)2000zx3sct Wrote: Yea they sell some sort of predip stuff , I dipped my rims white and there not holding up very well , especially on the fronts.

How many coats you do?
Probably around 6 on each cant remember. also did like 3 coats of gloss . I dunno I'm contemplating taking it off the rims cause my car is two tone now , I took the dip off the hood and roof . So the silver svt rims will match better .
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
(05-03-2013, 06:52 AM)2000zx3sct Wrote: Probably around 6 on each cant remember. also did like 3 coats of gloss . I dunno I'm contemplating taking it off the rims cause my car is two tone now , I took the dip off the hood and roof . So the silver svt rims will match better .

Yea thats true eh.
So I dipped my svt rims with the gloss. The look of them did not change but they seem to stay cleaner and the dip should protect them a little from rocks as I will be driving back roads a lot this summer.
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
thats the only thing i would use plasti dip for..if i was driving my car a long distance on a gravel or country road with alot of depris and bugs..protect the paint untill you got back and peal it all off bugs and all lol
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo