Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rattle / wobble sound front right wheel
Hey everyoneSmile,

I just recently changed
-Both lower control arms with poly bushing and moog ball joints
-Both sway bar links
-Both outer tie rod ends

Ive been experiencing a rattle/ wobble sound coming from my right front wheel. It started when I changed the sway bar link.

Got it checked out by my mechanic and he said every thing is snug and tight. The noise sounds like a bad sway bar link he said but since I just changed that it couldn't be the problem.
He said it might be the strut plate that is bent or w.e so he quoted me 180 per complete strut so 360 for the pair plus 2 hours of labor.
I know I could get a complete suspension for around that and install it myself well the front at lest not touching the rear since its covered in rust.

Anyways back to it, my questions are
1- what could the noise be ? Sway bar or bushing? I don't wanto change the struts if the noise will still be there
2- Anyone recommend a suspension. I don't wanto be too low since my car is for all season, I might get an svt suspension from steve at tousley ford.

I will try and post a video if I can get a good one to capture the noise.
Any thing helps thanks
Could be passenger side motor mount?
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Do you hear it all the time, or just when turning or going over bumps ???? does the sound change with speed ???? wheel bearings ... strut bearing maybe?

Sometimes when you change the suspension, you will hear for the first time a sound that was already there but masked by other sounds ... if for example you've been driving for a while with a bad alignment, your tires may have become "cupped" and now that you've replaced the suspension and I assume had an alignment, now the sound of the cupped tires are evident.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Sorry should've been more clear when I actually hear the sound.

I only hear the sound when I am turning left/going over little bumps slowly. The sound doesn't appear when going faster only when at slow speeds. I had a bad rear wheel bearing before but its replaced now and still same noise.

It is making the same sound as a bad sway bar link because I had this sound when I first got the car and changed the sway bar links and no more noise. But when I changed the control arms I saw that the right sway bar links seals were falling apart so I got it changed out and ever since then its been making noise. That's why I think its got something to do with ether the right link or sway bar/bushings.
We had similar problem. Changed the sway bar link. Found out later it was the inner fender mounting "bolts" were all loose.
Ill check that out but I dont think thats the problem, your just talking about the plastic inner fender bolts that holed that up ?
Its plastic it shouldnt make a metal on metal noise.
(08-21-2013, 01:09 AM)zx3wantobesvt Wrote: Sorry should've been more clear when I actually hear the sound.

I only hear the sound when I am turning left/going over little bumps slowly. The sound doesn't appear when going faster only when at slow speeds. I had a bad rear wheel bearing before but its replaced now and still same noise.

It is making the same sound as a bad sway bar link because I had this sound when I first got the car and changed the sway bar links and no more noise. But when I changed the control arms I saw that the right sway bar links seals were falling apart so I got it changed out and ever since then its been making noise. That's why I think its got something to do with ether the right link or sway bar/bushings.

So if the car is standing still and you move the steering wheel from lock to lock - does it make any sound then?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
No sounds at all, only if I hold it all the way then it sounds like a pressure sound.

Now its sounds more like a knocking noise. I think I might have to live with it. This might motivate me to get a sub Tongue
I took a video of the sound. let me know what you think.
http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/homele...a.mp4.html
Not every part comes from the factory perfect. I would parts warranty it, buy new aftermarket ones or get the motor craft updated ones from dealer and re install them. I could not see your video but the fact it is doing exactly what a bad end link does and happened right after you replaced it, I can only imagine that. Other that that its really common for the pass side motor mount to give a similar issue, mine also shook my engine pretty bad at about 100k.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creaking Sound in Front-End moon111 9 4,113 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Last Post: moon111
  grinding type sound in front end blue_light 6 2,744 08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Last Post: stupica1
  Clunking Sound In Front End MAlby7 2 1,352 08-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Last Post: MAlby7
  Rattle Sound patient11 16 5,232 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Last Post: patient11
  Front Wheel Stud Broken Zoom 9 3,042 11-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Last Post: meford4u