Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Building a Boosted Duratec
You can tune for it and to be safe put it before the iat sensor so the car sees the increase in temps if it runs out or malfunctions. I'm not getting tuned for it myself because I don't need to push the car to far
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
(11-14-2013, 01:06 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: You can tune for it and to be safe put it before the iat sensor so the car sees the increase in temps if it runs out or malfunctions. I'm not getting tuned for it myself because I don't need to push the car to far

How do you tune for

Could run out of fluid
hose blow off
jet (which are very very tiny ) stop up
micro / rpm switch fail
pump fail
arming switch / fuse fail

The IAT seeing a higher IAT will do little for the leaner fuel because of being tuned for the meth and the added timing added , you will blow the engine , why take the chance

Use the WM for safety adding it after your tuned , WM in the end adds very little HP in most cases less then 1 psi boost would add

Tom
Also yes randy does logs under load, called a wot 3rd gear log. If that isn't under load not sure what is tom. In fact my focus is so driveable that I forget the turbo didn't come on it from factory. It depends how much you ask for with any tuner. If they say logs look good but you have a concern it needs to come up or the tuner will never know

Please don't come on our forums and brag and talk smack about other tuners. It's not going to gain you business and is making you look bad doing this. You offered this to a mod on FF and treated him like gold for a review. I know quite a few people who had your tuning and were not satisfied. I trust those people who I have met and rode in their cars over a ball sack hanging ff mod

(11-14-2013, 01:06 PM)1turbofocus Wrote: I would love to do your tuning , you would be shocked how much better my tuning feels over the "competition" just in daily driving it let alone in boost

I have offered FREE tuning to anyone with a FS turbo kit and tune just to prove this fact , the last one was a very rep guy on FF and posted about his and there are others that feel the same , you cannot sit still and do your drivability tuning by holding the throttle at 2000 , 2500 , 3000 etc you need load on it and you need to be datalogging the knock sensor and other things which doesnt get done with the competition

I used to think Randys tunes were pretty good.

Now i'll add that it always had a ton of issues, it just seemed like if I was not hammering throttle and through gears like on a track it drove like #$#$#. Randy could never get it to run right, the power works tune always drove better.

I'm not saying its the tune or the car or whatever, all I know is both cars I had with his tunes had issues at part throttle. While say my last car with the PW kit had no issues with the stock PW tune, it did make less power with it tho.

Lets not start a war Randy vs Tom! Tom your a cocky guy, is that a bad thing? Maybe sometimes, but it is evident that you like what you do and feel passionate about it.

Lets move forward on This build thread and the awesome green monster!
I treated the mod no different then any other customer I tune for or any of the others I have done the tune for

Like you said if there is a problem let your tuner know , not one of the guys you know that had issues let me know or it would of been fixed

I am not bragging or trying to sell anything , the tune would be FREE , how do you know what you have till you try it against another tune and that goes for anyone

Your right hardc0re back to the green monster build

Tom
lmao...

I needed a good laugh after the past few days. Thanks guys!!

Monday night a wrist pin on the 3rd cylinder decided to fail on the Ecoboost. I take the truck to Master Performance Plus (Know just as well as DaSilva in the DragStrip World) to get my oil done for cash and I had no records of doing maintenance to it. So luckily I'm an Amsoil Dealer and I just printed off all my Orders for the truck and they had all the dates on them. That's all Ford needed to start work on it today. They are sending off the reports to Ford tomorrow for a request to have a new crate motor sent in.

Tom, my tune will go to Randy first. I still have a connection with his tuning as we only made it halfway a year ago when my car when it was N/A and the UDP pulley wasn't tight... ya... But if he has problems working on my car I will contact you and I thank you for the offer.

Jamie is a big fan of Randy and we have a member that is a big fan of yours too. Mike (Spinal)
Both cars pulled strong on the dyno that just pasted. I'm staying neutral just to keep the peace lol

Nothing else to update on car so far. Just waiting on parts to come in and it may be moving from my works building to my friends new place with a barn/work shop so I can work on it during the weekends.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Any updates on this?
Still working on it. I haven't had to too actually work on it as I am waiting for my new motor for my truck to be finished...
I'm also in talks with FSWerks to do a one off turbo setup too.
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

Hey, well I know this has been quite lately. I've been waiting on parts and dealing with Ford for a new 3.5L EcoBoost motor for my truck... New motor for the trucks and new parts fresh from Ken!!

I picked up on Friday night...

5gallon Water-meth Tank + Custom Mounting plate and Inline Filter.
CFM Front Tubular Control Arms
38 Tooth 2.3L Timing Chain Set from a Ranger.
Used (for 4 days) KSport Coilovers. I don't think I need the rear adjuster cups because I have Custom Rear Arms with them already. So any takers...? If they aren't needed.

That's it for now. Just waiting on the Tranny then I can place an order for some parts like a LSD and whatever else I need/want lol

Also what do you guys think of the Massiv Valve Cover. Should I get one and what colour would look best?

Just get a metal one and PC it, otherwise pick a colour that goes well with the green. Gloss black would look nice and clean with it. Get an svt degas cover if you don't already and some other dress up bits. Make it perfection when your done buddy

Yeah like Jamie said...
just grab one from a wreckers in the states and have it powder coated.
It will be a couple hundred dollars cheaper then buying one from Massive.

Check on car-part.com for a valve cover for an 03-04 Focus in the U.S., they start around $25.

I grabbed one for my 02 Zetec from kenny-u-pull for $6 and had it powder coated candy apple red.
[Image: AfterPC01.jpg]
Don't mind the dirty engine bay, I have since cleaned it up. Wink
I have seen them pop up on Facebook for sale page for around 50-60$. You can use a stock plastic one if your scuff it up, what I will be doing when I swap mine

Day 8

I dropped off the block at Master Performance Plus in Brampton to have the Pistons Rings and Pistons installed Professionally. Dam princess auto tools... I should pick that up on Saturday.

But I did install the silicone on the Oil Filter Braket, PCV Block-off Plate and Coolant Thermostat.
[Image: IMG_00000318_zps4890885d.jpg]
[Image: IMG_00000317_zpsab514ae4.jpg]

I have currently ripped out the 2 front Struts and started working on the suspension bits.
I started on the Passenger side and the dam axle cam out when I didn't want it too...
[Image: IMG_00000323_zpsd2d72680.jpg]

I've run into an issue with one bolt. The Torques Head bolt that is connecting the Control Arm onto the Knuckle... The nut cam off but the bolt is seized and now stripped. I will have to take the whole Arm and Knuckle together to hammer it out. Other then that all the tire shine I put on the tires spraying everywhere have seem to oiled everything else nicely.
Most of all Bolts are come free once tapped with a hammer then spin free.
My car is 2005 with 210000+KM driven every winter except last and this. But take a look at the only rust I could find on this dam car lol.
Behind the splash guard looking up showing the strut tower/inner fender.
[Image: IMG_00000319_zps9f4ac7b9.jpg]
Behind the splash guard showing the frame rail/inner fender
[Image: IMG_00000320_zps0ffd0ff2.jpg]
Behind the Splash guard showing the bottom of the fender
[Image: IMG_00000321_zps6b80ee7e.jpg]
Rocker/Pinch Rail
[Image: IMG_00000322_zpsdb999fd9.jpg]

Well I will soon have the block back. I have to get at least the front suspension bits in as the (old)wheels and (old)suspension are sold along with the (old)block+head. Now I just need someone to take the rest of the left overs and that cervini midwing lol Maybe I'll put it back on to upset Jamie Tongue So that means I need new rubber for the Cobra R's to sit around. I got a killer deal on some Triangles that actually have tones of grip in the summer for $52 each lol.
[Image: TR02020407V-2T.jpg]

Speaking of Jamie. He will be doing me a favour and picking up some 5spd tranny bits from Wobb in the new year for me and I can't wait to get it, clean it, and slap a LSD in with a light weight fly wheel and clutch.

That's it for now...

Good Job Johnny, keep it up buddy.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
keep the updates rolling. :thumbsup:
Thanks guys!!

I'm picking up the block from Master Performance on Monday. They spent a hole day fitting them perfectly on Friday. The owner's father did it for me. He is the one that started the business from his Drag Racing Days way back when.

So when he called me, he said that the new rings were file to fit. So he had spent all day making sure it was flawless. Just another reason why I love going there for service.

So the past few days I have been working on the here and there. Nothing serious but enough to upset me at moments lol

I disconnected the Calipers from the Knuckles and started the removal of the front control arms... The struts were easy but the bolt that holds the knuckle to the control arm stripped on me for both sides. Now I have to hammer them out...

I ordered a shift knob for the car and currently in CFM's shopping cart ordering
2.3L FlyWheel Bolts
CFM Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
OEM Ford Head Gasket
2x SVT Fog lights

If you notice I am ordering a gasket is because I forgot to get one before... I started to take the head out of the plastic wrap then paint on the green again after it chipped off on the cleaning process from the machine shop and was like wtf... were is the gasket....
That's all on hold for now again.

I was researching for some internals on the MTX-75 and I'm going with a complete set of parts from MFactory.

Hardened Gear Set (3rd,4th,5th)
Helical LSD
Final Drive Kit 4.7XX ratio

Also I was just at Jamie's place today grabbing my MTX-75 + parts from him and took a good peak around his setup to figure out how to install the pieces of the puzzle.

The pictures are taking too long to load up so another day I will update them.

So big of a final drive for a turbo car? What are your plans for this car?
From what I understand the RPM will be higher but the power will come on a lot sooner.

Here are the ratio's for the gear set.
MFactory Close Gear Set: 1.690 3rd, 1.370 4th & 1.140 5th

OEM 05+ 1.448 3rd, 1.028 4th & 0.767 5th

I'm still on the tipping point for getting the final drive or not. I would enjoy a low rpm for Highway but I want quick spool time too.

The cams I have, have such a large over lap on the exhaust. That will dramatically spool the turbo much lower in RPM then I figured it would. I figured it will spool around 3300RPM. Only one way to find out for sure.

The ONE mod would be dealing with the #$#%%%#%# synchros. There was a shop down south that had a fix for that, I don't know if newer trans is better but I always had messed up 2-3-4 shifts, 2-3 was the worst for me especially when trying to shift hard... never had that issue with the SVT, could shift @ 8000rpm and was smooth as glass...this was not the best place to shift but sometimes you gotta test Smile

As for the gear ratio, I had done a 4.06 in my 01 focus, made 1st gear a smoke show, I was 220whp, 198tq supercharged....probably 1/2 the power your ultimately going for... I assume the gear ratios of what I had were significantly different than the newer mtx, I assume going up is going to net you the same smoke snow result tho.

Use some online calculators and really think about the gear ratios and what you want to do...