Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Split Port Trouble Installing Starter on a 2002 Focus
Well, I had to grind the bottom bolt heads off the support bracket to remove it so I could wiggle in the starter under the intake manifold.
However, to my surprise, Huh the starter still won't go in there to be bolted on. I've taken a few pictures, maybe someone else has a suggestion(s).

It takes more than talk to get things done.
Had to play around with it for awhile but finally removed the heater core plug which sticks out beside the starter and the plastic cover on the wire connector on the side of the starter (it broke off anyway). After wiggling it around for ten minutes or so by putting the front in first, it's in.
If you're planning on replacing a starter yourself when it goes, I would recommend loosening the bolts on it now and applying some thread lubricant on each of the bolts. Then when you might have to loosen them in the future, they will turn. Two of the three can be accessed from under the battery shelf, the other one you have to lay under the car and there is no leverage room. That's why I'm suggesting you pay attention to them while they turn now, than when you have to do it later and corrosion makes it very difficult.

It takes more than talk to get things done.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Removing / replacing Split Port Engine ErnessW 21 21,284 01-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: John-eh