Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter build thread: GFXjamie
Quick work day update:

[Image: a4aqaty9.jpg]

[Image: yhana3u5.jpg]

Stopped by machine shop to see where things were at. They had to drill out all 4 as no amount and penetrating lube or heat would help. They were on the last one so I will be picking it back up tomorrow morning. Once I have it back, I need to disassemble compressor and turbine housings in order to either have them coated or do something my self. I am really contemplating using vht flame proof. Since I realized 2 days ago after a quick tally how much money this has run me so far, another 400-500$ just doesn't make sense.

For those wondering, since the summer I have a rough estimated total of 4700$ (not all out of pocket, this included original cost of traded parts)

So, somebody buy my stuff. Seats, wheels, etc etc. if I sell some stuff quick I'll be all over fireball coating to get this done. Otherwise I'll keep my money and spend peanuts on vht and do everything in cool whacky colours...
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Couldnt you do a turbo blanket to keep the costs down?
Turbo blanket would cost as much or more than the ceramic for turbine side. It is only 75$ per housing. I was going to get manifold and downpipe done too. Manifold is another 250$(can't wrap or it will crack) and downpipe is another 150$.

Only reason to coat is to make it look better and longer. Keeping temps down isn't a big deal really for the car presently.

Dude, I have a PTP T3 blanket. Did you want to try and see if that fits on there. They are well priced and well supported for quality. Also the vht flame proof paint works great. Sprayed my Honda compressor exhaust with it and it never flaked once. They always rust but mine is brand new still. Dam little muffler is $400 on those things.

(01-30-2014, 08:44 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: Turbo blanket would cost as much or more than the ceramic for turbine side. It is only 75$ per housing. I was going to get manifold and downpipe done too. Manifold is another 250$(can't wrap or it will crack) and downpipe is another 150$.

Only reason to coat is to make it look better and longer. Keeping temps down isn't a big deal really for the car presently.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

T3 blanket won't work. It won't have provision for internal wastegate like mine has. Like I said I don't have heat issues, and I haven't ever since I wrapped the downpipe. I will be installing the alternator heat shield this time around since I didn't know about it the first time.

It was more an idea of opportunity. I have always loved the way they make cast manifold looks when they do them ceramic and how nice they stay. I haven't had a lot of rust on turbo or manifold but there is some. My friend Steve will blast the parts for me prior to painting that way I have the best chance of success. I'll re wrap my upper half of downpipe as lower is still wrapped.

I didnt realize it was so cheap to be coated. Go that route for sure. If i knew that i would get my header done by them too.
Header isn't cheap, like 450$ range for a long tube 4 cylinder iirc from the quote they gave me

Correction it was 325$ from fireball for a long tube

Since I can't sleep worth a damn I mite as well update. Got most of the interior painted. Door, pillars and roof need to be done yet. Also somewhat set up the trunk since it's painted up solid now. Installed the spacers for the driver seat as well along with seat belt buckles to the seat bases. Just need the felt buffers for the battery as I have a polished top for the box but the terminals will short on it so need something in between. It actually shorted the battery once while test fitting it all together which I wasn't to happy about. Very tight fit around the terminals.

[Image: ny2y8ugu.jpg]
[Image: e4a5e9ug.jpg]
[Image: esa6e2up.jpg]
[Image: 7aqu6a9e.jpg]
[Image: eje6edy8.jpg]
[Image: u5yja9un.jpg]
[Image: u8enyhe8.jpg]

looks boss!! yup I said boss
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
Thanks Sean haha

In other news I picked up the turbo this morning from the machine shop. Ouch... Total of 3.5 hours. Ended up paying 240$ total. Still beats cost of new housing at 275$ from ATP plus their crazy shipping rates to canada. All original threads have been left intact and cleaned up where needed. Ready to go now!

Here she is again!

[Image: u2u4u2er.jpg]
[Image: e9e7evu6.jpg]

I had tons of things coated by fireball, for me on headers/turbo downpipes they ALWAYS discoloured anyway and looked like #$%#%%^ exp after a few track days. the only thing that seemed to last a bit longer was the header wrap or turbo blankets.

I'm really diggin the black/red theme in side...
I was looking at getting the "xmc" coating which is more suitable for extreme temperatures. Seems like something relatively new but not sure.

Also the floor is a textured metallic anthracite. I'll try and get some light on it as it does look black in most pictures but is more matched to the wheels

[Image: so-fresh-so-clean-sticker.jpg]
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Took a night off to breathe. At the end of the day I decided to pull apart the turbo housings. Got the compressor housing off but turbine housing one of the bolts was up against oil outlet. A co worker offered to assist and in the end busted the back plate for compressor housing. Didn't take pics but it was a small chunk of cast that broke off. Had to order a new piece from ATP which I will be picking up when I'm in states in a couple weeks. Ran me 65$ shipped. O well.

Decided to relax and on my spare time clean up the compressor housing with a sanding sponge I had at home and some water. Cleaned up really good

[Image: ma2u7esu.jpg]

Thinking I may leave this bare or polish it up a little bit more. Not full mirror but atleast smooth and not so cast like.

Back to the grind tomorrow. Need to swap clutch master cylinder and bleed clutch so that is next on the list aside from pulling ac components out and rad so I can put replacement in after my trip.

Time to finish other loose ends and wait until I have the rest of what I need to complete things. Have to wait until late February to get turbo back on anyways so I'll have everything ready for a shotgun finish aside from exterior aesthetics (skirts and such painted and installed)

Got a couple things taken care of this weekend. Mainly Brandon and getting a cv shaft in the pt cruiser and hid's in his dad's car lol but nonetheless got more progress. Brandon pulled passenger side air bag for me, a good 15lbs of dead weight. I finished pulling rad and condenser. Worked a bit on my trunk and got it I think just about complete. I reassembled my turbo and am going to run with it. The backing plate where it chipped off was outside the compressor housing o ring and should not cause my an issue. I used a plastic weld kit which says it will work with metals so I glued it in place and put it together. Worked flawlessly.

Also re wrapped upper half of downpipe and skipped on any coatings due to budget tightening. Cleaned it all up fresh as a daisy tho.

Check it out

[Image: ge4yta7e.jpg]
[Image: sagyne7a.jpg]
[Image: e6u9ysum.jpg]
[Image: 9u2yva7y.jpg]
[Image: ebubu7a6.jpg]

Most of the time spent was just trying to get the damn axle nut off...or we'll even budge at all haha
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
Did you unbolt the airbag from underneath, then from the cover, then snap the top cover back in?
Correct. All from below as the cover has a frame that is bolted on to dash frame when bag is in. Brandon knows cause he has done a couple haha pain to get to the hardware tho

You have to remove both your heater vents and tubing
From under you dash. It's easiest to remove the passenger seat and glove box all together. Lay on your back and you'll see 5 bolts. Undo those bolts. ..not a fun task. Then pry your airbag cover from the back (closest to the windsheild) carefully and then it'll pop up and slide it towards the windshield about .5 inch and voila. 4 bolts holding in the airbag then just toss the cover back on.

It's a pain in the ass. Nerve wracking too cuz you don't wanna damage that airbag cover and mess up your dash.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
Still down in Pittsburgh hanging out and messing with car stuff. Got my Cossie cover, rad, lower rad support, turbo studs and gasket, a wiring harness to back apart over the valve cover and my ac delete belt and pulley. Everything I needed to finish it and get into one piece again.

Be back at it Thursday evening and likely get a lot done too. Should be interesting so see how it goes

Tapatalk also isn't working with the site lately it seems

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue FINISHED!!>>>my OFFICIAL build thread drunkinmonkey 887 516,416 05-27-2015, 01:30 AM
Last Post: drunkinmonkey