Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
svt compressoin result help
Hello Guys. I need help understanding my compression test results. Test was done because I notice an excessive amount of white smoke coming out the valve cover breather. Pcv is operational.
Dry 90,70,105,130
Wet 100,80,115,145.
I did five engine turns per cylinder. Any thoughts?
Spec is 100-120 iirc, BUT ford wants the engine at operating temp, all plugs out and the throttle held wide open as your cranking. Seems like you have 2 weak cylinders, but the mild improvement in compression after adding oil suggests it my not be the rings, but maybe valve related. A leak down test is something I would consider trying next.
I was also thinking that it is a valve issue. Is there any reputable shop in Brampton that would do a leak down test for a good price?

(01-20-2014, 12:50 AM)sonic_mikey Wrote: Spec is 100-120 iirc, BUT ford wants the engine at operating temp, all plugs out and the throttle held wide open as your cranking. Seems like you have 2 weak cylinders, but the mild improvement in compression after adding oil suggests it my not be the rings, but maybe valve related. A leak down test is something I would consider trying next.
Unfortunately my long-time trusted mechanic in Brampton sold his shop - I now go to a shop at Martin Grove / Rexdale and frankly they are fantastic - in fact one of our SVT-owning members works there. The owner is an amazing diagnostician.

(01-21-2014, 03:38 AM)trinifoci Wrote: I was also thinking that it is a valve issue. Is there any reputable shop in Brampton that would do a leak down test for a good price?

(01-20-2014, 12:50 AM)sonic_mikey Wrote: Spec is 100-120 iirc, BUT ford wants the engine at operating temp, all plugs out and the throttle held wide open as your cranking. Seems like you have 2 weak cylinders, but the mild improvement in compression after adding oil suggests it my not be the rings, but maybe valve related. A leak down test is something I would consider trying next.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Details please Ken.

(01-21-2014, 04:20 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: Unfortunately my long-time trusted mechanic in Brampton sold his shop - I now go to a shop at Martin Grove / Rexdale and frankly they are fantastic - in fact one of our SVT-owning members works there. The owner is an amazing diagnostician.

(01-21-2014, 03:38 AM)trinifoci Wrote: I was also thinking that it is a valve issue. Is there any reputable shop in Brampton that would do a leak down test for a good price?