Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flex Pipe Replacement
Does anyone have the DIY on a flex pipe removal on a 2002 Focus Zx3 Zetec? Any suggestions on where to get one for a good price? (in Toronto) Also wanted to know if there is a DIY for the zetec header removal with pictures and help with those rusty bolts. Thanks, any suggestions will help.
(02-12-2014, 12:47 PM)02_Zx3 Wrote: Does anyone have the DIY on a flex pipe removal on a 2002 Focus Zx3 Zetec? Any suggestions on where to get one for a good price? (in Toronto) Also wanted to know if there is a DIY for the zetec header removal with pictures and help with those rusty bolts. Thanks, any suggestions will help.

Just looking at the Ford service DVD and they don't even have a "how to" for flex pipe removal - from the diagram it looks like just 4 bolts - 2 at the cat pipe and 2 at the exhaust pipe. If it's all original, you should be prepared to simply cut them off.

The ex. header looks pretty simple too:

From below:
Detach catalyst bracket and disconnect oxygen sensor.

From above:
Remove heat shield - 4 bolts
Remove air cleaner housing
Detach MAF plug
Detach PCV hose
Detach intake hose
Remove EGR tube
Detach catalytic conv from header - 3 bolts
Detach manifold from head - 9 bolts.

Flex pipes from Ford are uber expensive ($300-ish) but they are available in the aftermarket (eg Walker) - and there's probably a few of us who have SVT or other exhaust systems that have a used one in their stash - like I do.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
why do you need to remove the header? Are you swapping header? The hardest bolts are the ones to the very side, make sure you get a good socket on there, but I had one case I needed to grind one off which was a #$#%%.

For the flex, get a grinder ready you will need it. Pickup a new flex off ebay or try ford. Unless someone had one in their garage used market won't be too much luck.

I have a used SVT one but that will not fit.
I have a ford racing header that I wanted to install. Does anyone have a flex pipe for sale that will fit my car? 2002 ford focus zx3 dohc zetec
(02-13-2014, 08:16 AM)02_Zx3 Wrote: I have a ford racing header that I wanted to install. Does anyone have a flex pipe for sale that will fit my car? 2002 ford focus zx3 dohc zetec

Yeah, I do ... but what header is that? Are you certain it is a direct replacement for the regular Zetec header? If it is and it's the M-9430 - well that's a pretty rare piece now - hasn't been available for quite some time.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Thank you for the help. I can see that the bolts are really rusted. Im going to try an attempt to remove them..hopefully I don't have to cut it off because I don't have the tools..only basic hand tools.

I'm not sure what type of header it is..the previous owner said he unbolted his stock header and bolted this right in

Yeah your right the header is a M-9430
I'm not sure what m 9430 is ? Is it the short ram style or long tube ? If it's short ram your probably gonna want a high flow cat also . When I had mine on my zetec the cat fbasiclly broke apart inside and made a nice noise when driving lol. Apparantly the shorty hedders are known for this.
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4-2-1 Header And 2.25" Flex Pipe Install NikiterZTS 29 9,896 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Last Post: NikiterZTS