Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auto to manual
has anyone here gone from auto to manual?
thinking about looking for an auto since there seem to be more floating around and then getting a manual from a junker and swaping it in one weekend

im assuming all that's needed is the tranny, clutch pedal, flywheel, shift cables, shift tower, and the tranny sensor right. is all wiring the same for auto to manual?
and the brake reservoir. iv read threads saying you need the ECU and throttle body?

are the axles the same?
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
Axles are the same.
ECU can go from Auto to Manual but not the other way around...Dodgy
You also need the wiring harness off of the transmission too

Brandon and I are in the middle of doing it and from the info we have gathered it's not that bad but it's not a walk in the park. And different years have different cables and brackets too...
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

This is a touchy subject. Axles are the same for 99 to 05. 06 and up list different part numbers for auto and 5speed axles. This is coming from ford themselves...i called to confirm cuz i am unsure about my swap. But if you look at the axles they look the same to me.

Ecu can go from auto to manual but not vise versa. So you can tune it. If you buy another scrap yard ecu you need to go to ford amd get it programmed for the pats security system.

So you need flywheel. Clutch. Trans. Clutch master. Wiring...also touchy...not sure if you just need the chunk to the trans or the whole engine wiring harness. Also need pedals. Shifter housing. Shifter. Throttle with tps. Flywheel bolts. Brake fluid resevoir that has a line to the clutch master...and i think thats it. Oh clutch line to the slave too.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
Zetec has a different crank position sensor and throttle body in addition to this. There may be other differences that I am unaware of
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Kenny-u-pull had transmissons on for $49.99 this past weekend. should have grabbed one
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(04-14-2014, 10:12 PM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: Kenny-u-pull had transmissons on for $49.99 this past weekend. should have grabbed one

Damn! That's when you grab one just to grab one...
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
I know i'm kicking myself for it. they have sales like that pretty regularly though, so not overly concerned
Instagram @o_so_slo
If your going auto to stick, easier to buy a whole parts car for 3-500$, swap everything you need then scrap the car for 300. That way you can use the manual harness, ecu, keys, etc etc. No cels and no guessing. I've done this swap on contours, Hondas, mustangs, and its definitely 100x easier with a parts car. Hunting for that one part is always the story lol.
Jamie and I are doing the auto to manual swap sometime soon with my sedan. ill take lots of pics and try to get a decent write up on it. for the most part everything is so straight forward it should be a simple swap. however we are tuning the ecu vs using another ecu...that seems to be everyones snag when it comes to the swap is the ecu.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
The other snag is going to be emissions for cars with swapped ecu. New obd test records vin from ecu plus photo proof the tech takes. You need some sort of exemption using a different ecu. If you swap ecu and get it reprogrammed it will just get set to factory spec for you car which is incorrect still. Easier to just tune that part in

so sick of emissions crap
Instagram @o_so_slo
Just find someone with a same focus but stock and take both to the shop and run the stock one lol
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Have you tried etest yet?? Don't sweat til you fail lol

no I haven't tried an etest yet. still need to grab a battery, that's the only thing holding me back at the moment
Instagram @o_so_slo