Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, that escalated quickly
Sooooo... no more ZX5. The deeper I dug into gremlins and noises, the worse it got. No rear defrost grid. TCS sketchy. Still decent clunks in the front even with most of the suspension and steering gear either checked or replaced. It's a shame as I just dropped in that nice Eibach Pro Kit Plus from Todd, too. Sad

Another contributing factor was Randy leaving FSWerks. That's a huge blow to their custom tuning field, and it made me uneasy with the idea of continuing the project as it was planned.

And with all that considered, I went car shopping. Target values for the new ride were:

- slightly larger than the Focus if need be
- fuel-efficient at least on the highway
- AWD/4WD system for surviving as a DD up here in the winter
- automatic for my fiancee to finish learning to drive in (side note - she's getting much better at driving the Jeep, which is already modded to hell and not easy for a novice to roll in)
- moddable as I cannot stand stock anything

Once we considered all those factors (and had a nice little fight about why I wasn't buying a Civic or a Lancer), it really boiled down to one choice: something Subaru-made. I had found her a decent 08 Impreza hatch, NA, clean... but it sold within days of just checking it out. However, they had a 06 Legacy GT sedan on the lot, and it was auto too... hmm...

Yup. Bought it. 250/250 stock, 5-speed auto made by ProDrive, sport suspension, 17" wheels, obv AWD, loaded except for nav (which I won't miss given the size of the slot for the screen). Went back on my "no payments again ever" rule as it was kicked down in price by myself and then got decent trade-in on the evil Focus.

It's already running a COBB intake and Stage 1+ tune, Stage 2 is pre-loaded for when the COBB 3" downpipe and custom 3", Magnaflow-based cat-back goes on next week. After that... DONE. Maybe new tires to replace the new Sailuns on it which are actually not that bad. Might run them for a season and see how they hold up.

Outside chance - going to Ottawa or Barrie/GTA for a custom Stage 2+ tune for 18PSI and see what that gets me. Stock is 13.5PSI, currently tuned for 15PSI and can hit 14.3 without a cat-back. Should hit the target 16.5PSI for Stage 2 nicely with the DP and cat-back.

It's a pussycat around town when not in sport mode. Intake noise is a tad loud but I don't have the airbox lid on the COBB airbox - fitment issue. Shipped the right one, just need to work it out with them next week.

Sport mode or full sport-based manumatic? HELLO ACCELERATION AND FURY. Big Grin

Love it. Might upgrade the rotors and pads, but the bite and travel is nicely setup. Corners damn flat for stock too.

Nik - now I know what you get in your WRX, albeit flavoured differently as I'm auto. Smile
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
....and I have still YET to drive it...
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Once you have Subi, you wont go anything else.
Go to Neetronics in Oakville for a tune.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Is that who you've used in the past, Nik?

Also, any worthy Ontario-related Subie forums or is NASIOC the one to go for?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.