Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porsche 911
Anyone interested in a Porsche 911 (reserve bid is $12,000)? What is the catch? The car is an SGI write-off because of, get this, interior mouse infestation. A mechanical inspection (check brakes, glass, etc.) is all that is needed. And oh yes, sign a waiver you understand the potential for Hantavirus.

Here is the website:

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/lcgi/salvage_bid_si...=Saskatoon

I share this one freely. The last time I drove a 911 was 1970 and I spun out (180°) on one of the first corners. Too much power and notorious oversteer - I'll take my SVT anytime. At least I can drive my SVT in winter, and on icy roads. That is the main reason you never see Porsche 911's out in winter. As the saying goes, a Porsche makes a fantastic driver look good; it makes a good driver look average; an average driver look poor; and it kills the poor driver.

I suspect the original owner stored it in his heated garage; didn't realize he had a mouse infestation until he opened the door in spring and smelled it. You cannot get rid of that smell except by completely removing the interior, washing the metal with bleach, and replacing it with a new interior. But watch, some young guy will buy it for maybe $25,000 - try to clean it with cleaners and Febreze Air Freshener. He will patch up the holes in the leather. If he is smart, he will then sell the vehicle. If he isn't, he will drive it until the first snowfall, spin out and wrap himself around a light post. Hopefully he survives.
I had a small family of mice take over my covered patio set, I wrote that off, you can't get that smell out. The #$#% behind the console, damn looks like even in the dome light.

Best use of this perhaps would be buy it, gut it, put in some race seats and track it.
It's auto, I'm surprised more then just mice didn't s**t in it
I forgot to point out the car has an accident history. The first was in September 2010 (first snowfall that year). Total loss but obvious rebuild (check the little yellow 2011 sticker in one of the photos). Second was a partial (hail damage) in 2012 and now this one. He washed his hands of this widow-maker and wallet buster. And I agree with the ѕhіt comment. I prefer manuals.

Public answer to PM. Not all Porsche models are widow makers. The Boxster for one is a sweet ride (mid engine). If anyone is interested, Deutsche Welle has a video demonstrating the differences between the various Porsche models.
It sold! High bid on the Porsche was $15,176 much higher than I would have paid. Also when I checked across Canada, a Porsche 911 with manual transmission and lower miles was for sale in Victoria for under $18,000 so this one with the automatic lost any appeal it had.

I stand by my opinion. For winter driving I prefer front engine, front wheel drive. Mini Coopers with half the horsepower back in the 1960's were walking away from Corvettes, Jaguars and Austin Healeys (and Mustangs) racing on ice. Take a look at the current Porsches and you will see the rear tire width greatly exceeds the front tire width (over 12 inches width of rubber is one way to reduce oversteer). New Porsches also have stability control which wise drivers will leave engaged.

That mass hanging out behind the rear axle is the problem. Watch this DW Drive It! video. Too much power (enough to break the wheels loose), and the back comes right around. On ice, this car is treacherous. On pavement, that weight increases the normal force, allows you to "plant it" and accelerate. All Wheel Drive obviously helps as well.
[Image: sgvWi3V.jpg]

It's back. My apologies, but I just had to update my original post. That Porsche 911 Convertible write-off was originally posted with a reserve bid of $12,000 (mouse infestation). One week later it appeared someone bid $15,176 (and IMHO much higher than I would pay.)

The original bidders (two of them) were each allowed to take a look at the write-off, and both declined to consummate the deal. So guess what? It is back up for bid, only this week the reserve bid is $9,500 (somewhat less than before.)

Besides the thorough cleaning this car requires, it seems some of the wiring would also need to be replaced as the mice chewed through it. With its accident history (complete rebuild) and now mice means (to me) this car is only good for parts.