Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Us Auto Bailout: D O A Into The Senate
65% is EI. 35% is sub.

And for "us" sitting at home. I am not sitting.

I am relaxing on the couch.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 29 2008, 12:24 PM Wrote:What I would be really interested in knowing is what percentage of the 85% is E.I. and what percentage is SUB. :)

A cost is a cost is a cost, regardless of whether it was negotiated or if it's even mandated by the government (not that it was, just saying is all). No matter how you come around to spending the cash, spending the cash when you don't have any isn't a smart scenario and obviously weighs on the company's debt load.
[right][snapback]278861[/snapback][/right]

I can actually speak to the SUB program as our office is also unionized (OPSEU) and I was involved in the negotiations to alter it many years ago now (to our detriment as it turns out now but WE)

In our case the top up from the max 55% of EI is to 75% of our gross pay (Unless its maternity leave, then it rises to 85%. All taxed and the office has to advise HRDC (Human Resources Development Canada) of any changes year to year.

The bigger problem is why these SUB programs came to be and how their costs have risen over time. That has everything to do with the fact when the old unemployment insurance program was gutted by the Feds in '93 and changed to "Employment Insurance" and did such wonderful things as lowering the maximum entitlement to 55% and raising the hours needed to qualify in the first place (not to mention the fact that if you draw on EI more than once during a set period the percentage you get is chopped, eventually down to 50%) <_<

NefCanuck
meford4u,Dec 29 2008, 01:35 PM Wrote:65% is EI.  35% is sub.

And for "us" sitting at home.  I am not sitting.

[right][snapback]278863[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't want or expect it any other way LOL is the beer cold???
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
DD1,Dec 29 2008, 12:43 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Dec 29 2008, 01:35 PM Wrote:65% is EI.  35% is sub.

And for "us" sitting at home.  I am not sitting.

[right][snapback]278863[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't want or expect it any other way LOL is the beer cold???
[right][snapback]278867[/snapback][/right]
That's what I use the wife's sub for.

All I want out of this (and I'm late to the party) is for the "guys involved", union-side, to tell it like it is.

Why? Because the Big 3 were the first to belly up to the taxpayers' trough and ask for a handout. Because all of us paid into that trough and now they (well, GM and Chrysler, at least) have said they want a handout in order to survive.

You're damn straight I want to know some facts about why folk are getting paid more than the average Joe would to sit at home (and drink beer, Bryan ;) ) and our tax dollars are effectively subsidizing some of those payments. More realistically, we're subsidizing a chunk of EVERY payment, above and beyond their E.I. draws.

This isn't a personal attack against anyone here, working or not, who is in the union. I'm just really pissed that the latest round of "facts" offered up by the CAW/UAW are pretty thin on substance and heavy on semantics. I don't pity anyone that is laid off right now, no more so than I would expect anyone to pity me if I was. Instead, I'm hoping that each of them pulls through and I'm in the process of tightening my own belt and lowering monthly expenditures.

When tax dollars are being thrown around, I take an interest. It's as simple as that. Doubly so when the guys asking for them fly in for their first meeting :rolleyes: Taking the hybrids the first time would have been the politically smart thing to do.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I am not sitting at home drinking beer on your tax dollars. I am sitting at home on my tax dollars. I have paid into the system for years and have barely used 20% of what I have paid into the EI plan. So a little R&R is in order.

They are not your tax $$$, they're mine. Hands off.

You want the same benefits? Go ask your employer. If you were to loose your job, you would get, what, 6 months of pay and a bonus? This is what we negotiated. So we take home about 75% of what we earn because we negotiated well. Boo frickin hoo.

Hear that noise.

Click.

Another beer just got cracked.

meford you can have some of the 40,000 I put into fed tax alone I like you so I say its ok.......
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
even 85% taxed is a good pay for sitting at home and do sweet f*& all......how long can it go for? a year i think i read in here? if yes id grow a beer gut in 2-3 months........but then im not suprised by looking at some people in here LOL

i kid i kid......but not really

DD1 you're 31???
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Bryan - I ain't cryin'. :)

Like I said, I'm still gainfully employed. And when tax dollars are being handed out, we're ALL concerned. We ALL paid into it. So, yes... you're at home on OUR taxes - yours, mine and everyone else here (who works that is).

Enjoy your beer. It's on me. :P :ph34r:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
A: Some of you are still missing this. It's 85% of your NET pay THEN the tax comes off. So it's 60%x85%x75% or 38% of your gross pay that you net.

B. And yes, it's MY money. (hell, i'm not even off). I paid in $60G last year in income tax, got $11G back after investment write-offs. $4500 in property tax, the max EI and CPP contributions, and 14% on the rest of the $100G that I netted whenever I buy everything.

EI is capped at $435 a week (just looked it up). It doesn't matter if you make $700 a week $1000 a week or $10000 a week.

Ford doesn't pay me out of the kindness of their heart -- I have a college certificate PLUS 2 trades (toolmaker and interprovincial electrician, so about 10 years of schooling) and I worked 7 days a week between 8 and 12 hours a day EVERY day except for my paid vacation. My hourly rate isn't above what anyone else in my trade with my experience makes -- so Ford is paying me for my time.

In the end, the majority of autoworkers put much more into the system than they get out of it.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
yes. born 06 28 77

I guess in my trade the union is good. But like everything else there is up and down sides........... <_<
This may not be totally related to the auto industry but oh well. I’m part of a union and there are ups and downs to it (more ups then downs though) I don’t think the Health and Safety standards would be nearly as good as they are without the unions involvement. I have seen first hand companies try to take advantage of there workers (working by yourself in confined spaces, cancelling shifts 2 hours before they start, with no notice)

One thing you also have to remember is that a union and a company (Ford, GM, Us steel) form a collective agreement, it’s not like some guy from the union hall demands $45 an hour to push a broom. Everything is decided by both parties and a fair wage is set.

This is just my .02; it’s getting played out with everyone blaming the CAW union for the fall of the big three.
OAC_Sparky,Dec 29 2008, 04:00 PM Wrote:A: Some of you are still missing this. It's 85% of your NET pay THEN the tax comes off. So it's 60%x85%x75% or  38% of your gross pay that you net.

B. And yes, it's MY money. (hell, i'm not even off). I paid in $60G last year in income tax, got $11G back after investment write-offs. $4500 in property tax, the max EI and CPP contributions, and 14% on the rest of the $100G that I netted whenever I buy everything.

EI is capped at $435 a week (just looked it up). It doesn't matter if you make $700 a week $1000 a week or $10000 a week.

Ford doesn't pay me out of the kindness of their heart -- I have a college certificate PLUS 2 trades (toolmaker and interprovincial electrician, so about 10 years of schooling) and I worked 7 days a week between 8 and 12 hours a day EVERY day except for my paid vacation. My hourly rate isn't above what anyone else in my trade with my experience makes -- so Ford is paying me for my time.

In the end, the majority of autoworkers put much more into the system than they get out of it.
[right][snapback]278878[/snapback][/right]

.....you are just a money making machine B)
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Holy fawk is this site full of engrish as a second language students?

meford4u,Dec 29 2008, 10:23 PM Wrote:Holy fawk is this site full of engrish as a second language students?
[right][snapback]278892[/snapback][/right]

As opposed to your sterling "English as a THIRD language" example above? :D

NefCanuck
meford4u,Dec 29 2008, 10:23 PM Wrote:Holy fawk is this site full of engrish as a second language students?
[right][snapback]278892[/snapback][/right]

I'm still learning those ABC's and 123's
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
can you teach me to football? i try to spoke engrish but i hear its for rich people
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily