Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of you have to work Holidays?
Hey Guys, i know a lot of you like to work, but how many of you are "required" to work on statuatory holidays such as christmas day, boxing day, new years day, family day, easter, and canada day?

some of us have no choice but to work, unless we request it off 14 months ago, even for next year its fully booked already so i cant book off next year christmas, i had to book it off 2 months ago as a vacation request, oh well, im not gonna die because i work on one holiday or so, happy double time and a half!
My other ride is your Mom
Yeah I worked 10 hours today with double time and a half it's a lovely thing . We take our time on these days and try to stay longer . Only holiday my work isn't open is Christmas Day , so normally I'm working most holidays .
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
Interesting you should post this. We were discussing (at coffee row) how few people were at the restaurant we frequent for coffee. Of course we also noted how few people were working as well. Since I celebrate Christmas by the Julian Calendar, December 25 is not a major holiday (we exchange gifts on December 19, St. Nicholas Day). During my early, formative career and single days (fifty or so years ago) I quite willingly worked on December 25 because we got paid double time and a half.

After marriage to a part Irish, part Scot girl, we had the best of all worlds. We allowed the kids to start opening presents on December 19, but only one, and one each succeeding day right up to December 25. At that time we travelled and celebrated Christmas with my wife’s side of the family. On January 6 (Ukrainian Christmas Eve) we celebrated with my family. On January 7 we celebrated with family and friends in a larger group setting.

This was a win-win-win solution. The boys really appreciated each gift they opened for a full day, without the overload of trying to decide what to play with, the mess was kept to a minimum, albeit spread over the better part of a week. Both sides of the family had our full attention, and no arguments over who were we going to visit. And I made extra cash just because I was available to work.

A side note, we did wrap one gift deceptively as the boys grew older (all four are two and a half years apart in age) so that when they thought they were getting a Walkman, on opening found something entirely different, like a pair of socks - and this was not as cruel as it sounds. Honestly, this was fun since everyone eventually bit.

Christmas is and will be celebrated as the religious remembrance it was supposed to be.
well i just finished working the last 3 holidays (Xmas, boxing and new year day) and I want to extend my THANKS to all the hard working Ontarion's out there who sometimes have to sacrifice family time to put food on the table, sometimes with no way to opt out of working these statutory holidays no matter what work industry they work for, IE: food, retail, business, transportation, computers, support, health care, etc..
No thanks. Paid holidays.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Cheers SVT-WGN, this is the first time Ive ever heard of people celebrating christmas on December 19, but im not bashing it, i fully respect it, im just surprised Ive NEVER heard of people celebrating on this day ever, all my live Ive been taught of the Catholic christmas for the majority, and as well the Orthodox and Armenian christian christmas in january, and so has everyone else Ive grown up with, but a much blessed thank you to educating me, and a joyous and blessed merry julian Christmas to you, even if im a little belated!

Does your work recognize the December the 19th as a stat holiday for you ie: Religious time off or paid time off? or do they pay you for the Catholic Christmas on the December the 25th?

(01-03-2015, 07:20 AM)SVT-WGN Wrote: Interesting you should post this. We were discussing (at coffee row) how few people were at the restaurant we frequent for coffee. Of course we also noted how few people were working as well. Since I celebrate Christmas by the Julian Calendar, December 25 is not a major holiday (we exchange gifts on December 19, St. Nicholas Day). During my early, formative career and single days (fifty or so years ago) I quite willingly worked on December 25 because we got paid double time and a half.

After marriage to a part Irish, part Scot girl, we had the best of all worlds. We allowed the kids to start opening presents on December 19, but only one, and one each succeeding day right up to December 25. At that time we travelled and celebrated Christmas with my wife’s side of the family. On January 6 (Ukrainian Christmas Eve) we celebrated with my family. On January 7 we celebrated with family and friends in a larger group setting.

This was a win-win-win solution. The boys really appreciated each gift they opened for a full day, without the overload of trying to decide what to play with, the mess was kept to a minimum, albeit spread over the better part of a week. Both sides of the family had our full attention, and no arguments over who were we going to visit. And I made extra cash just because I was available to work.

A side note, we did wrap one gift deceptively as the boys grew older (all four are two and a half years apart in age) so that when they thought they were getting a Walkman, on opening found something entirely different, like a pair of socks - and this was not as cruel as it sounds. Honestly, this was fun since everyone eventually bit.

Christmas is and will be celebrated as the religious remembrance it was supposed to be.
Actually we celebrate Christmas by the Julian Calendar. Christmas eve falls on January 6 and Christmas on January 7. Both are celebrations with family on the 6th. and friends and family on the 7th.

December 19 is St. Nicholas Day which is when we exchanged gifts leaving Christmas for the religious celebration.

On the Gregorian calendar, St. Nicholas Day is December 6th., Christmas Eve December 24 and Christmas on December 25. Boxing Day is the 26th. Western religions have drifted away from strictly religious celebrations on Christmas, and more towards consumersim (i.e. presents and toys). St. Nicholas day is completely forgotten.

And no, I never got paid for my religious holidays nor did I get time off. Eastern (Orthodox) Christians were never accorded respect until fairly recently.