Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staying in Touch Without an Appointment
I miss the good old days of newsgroups. They're buried. Google made sure of that. So, here's a spot to offer a suggestion to 'staying in touch with relatives and family'. It's called "Just Dropping By"

I have relatives, some close, who don't like anyone to 'just drop by' without an appointment. I suspect this is because we don't want others to see how we really live. A tea towel on a chair, or a coffee cup growing mold by the computer desk, etc.

My personal experience has seen cousins who live/work close by but we never see each other for years. A second cousin who has been in my city several times, but never able to drop by for a coffee. No appointment. Never seen some of them for five years or more, except at funerals.

So, I broke the appointment rule twice this month, and found out that they were happy to see me. Just drove up, got out of the car and rang the door bell. I had a talk with my second cousin, on his porch, for two hours. He was happy to see me. We had dinner with his sister and mother the next day. I bought, of course.

The second time, I stopped for coffee during a long drive to another city, and realized a friend of mine worked up the road. So I phoned him and let him know I was in a coffee shop just down the street. He came over, we talked and ended up having dinner together, (with his son too), and had a good time. My friend bought dinner, I chipped in for some wine.

The point to be taken, here, is: if you want to see friends and relatives other than at funerals, you should break the appointment rule.

Just don't be offended if they can't see you at that moment. Let them know they can meet you later if they're busy. Be prepared to be turned away occasionally. But mostly, enjoy the meeting, but don't overstay your welcome. Keep it short and make sure you are the one to decide when it's time to leave.

Later-eh?

That's Awesome. I agree 100% man
My other ride is your Mom