Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Indash Double-din Touchscreen
before
[Image: 1266824120.jpg]

after
[Image: 1266828166.jpg]

It's indeed custom installed into the Focus. Absolutely nothing fit behind the dash so there had to be some trimming and moving of things to get it all working.

But, now that it does it's awesome. It's a JVC KW-NT1.

Oh, to add, I have 0 gauge wires that are run to the trunk of the focus in prep for a 1500watt amp and a 15inch L7 subwoofer that are going in. Yeah I know it's overkill.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Nice work. Looks awsome.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
looks nice, how much work did you need to get it to fit?
i also notice it does not sit totally flush, is there a reason for this?
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Feb 27 2010, 09:50 AM Wrote:looks nice, how much work did you need to get it to fit?
i also notice it does not sit totally flush,  is there a reason for this?
[right][snapback]302300[/snapback][/right]

Yeah it does look good, I guess it sits like that because of the contour of the dash.
Dimitri,Feb 27 2010, 05:13 PM Wrote:
paolo,Feb 27 2010, 09:50 AM Wrote:looks nice, how much work did you need to get it to fit?
i also notice it does not sit totally flush,   is there a reason for this?

Yeah it does look good, I guess it sits like that because of the contour of the dash.
[right][snapback]302306[/snapback][/right]

there aren't any double din kits for the Focus.

I'm going to admit... i didn't do the install. I took it in and paid for it to be done. The weather and work involved and my lack of experience with wiring/electronics dictated that I not do it.

Granted, I got a steal of a deal. 1099+tax for the unit alone, I paid 1135 installed.

The trim kit used to be flat but was heat molded into the shape it currently is in. as u can see, on the passenger side it cooled down a bit fast and curved a bit extra. That'll get touched up.

The dash of the focus itself isn't straight hence why the screen isn't flush. I'm not fussed. It still looks golden in person. Because face it, the camera doesn't reflect the actual viewing angle of the unit. Anything looks bad from the right angle and everything looks like its made of gold from another angle.

Here's what I do know was done, the entire dashboard came out. A bunch of plastic was trimmed from behind the dash, a custom bracket was made for the H/U, the hazard switch, from behind, has been re-angled for fitment. The button is fairly stiff because of it but it still works effectively and its not like u hafta push it once or twice or thrice for it to finally work. First push.

The GPS thingymabob that gets signal is offset to the driver side, right where the windshield meets the dash. The microphone is between the steering wheel and the gauges, right on the steering column. Sound is great for people listening. I haven't had anyoen complain or say its hard to hear.

I have the oem brackets for the H/U and everything to return the car to stock.

The 0gauge wires for the trunk run through a piece of plastic above the clutch pedal, through the carpet where a bunch of power cables go towards the back of the car. At the rear seats it crosses underneath them and goes to the passenger side where it dumps into the trunk.

One of these days if I have my dash apart I'll get all the pictures of the install. I know for sure that some of the custom work done I couldn'tve done myself.

I hate paying people to work on my cars for me but there's some things that I can't do myself. Electronics are just one of those things I refuse to do :P

edit: it took a professional installer approx 4 1/2 hours to do everything. For the first 2 hours of the install, there were 2 people working on it.
Mystake,Feb 27 2010, 01:55 PM Wrote:
Dimitri,Feb 27 2010, 05:13 PM Wrote:
i also notice it does not sit totally flush,   is there a reason for this?

[right][snapback]302306[/snapback][/right]

there aren't any double din kits for the Focus.

[right][snapback]302316[/snapback][/right]

Looks good. On a side note for others I have found Metra is making a double DIN kit for the first gen Focus's now. I've got one on order to play with for my car.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
metra makes one but the problem is, it won't cover gap top and bottom..

this pic will give you an idea..see gaps??
[Image: gap.jpg]

metra 95-5806 only covers where side gaps are, not top and bottom..
[Image: 22945.jpg]

bestkits BKFM552(not listed under focus but this is the one)
[Image: BKFMK552.jpg]

with metra, you will have to figure out to cover top and bottom..

with best kits, it covers all gaps but kit won't follow contour of opening, this kit is flat..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
as said above, the metra kit doesn't cover top and bottom which would be needed in my case.
this is why i love flip up screens.....same features, smaller package :P XD
sonic_mikey,Mar 8 2010, 04:57 PM Wrote:this is why i love flip up screens.....same features, smaller package :P XD
[right][snapback]302954[/snapback][/right]

yeah but my screen doesn't block vents :P
when i pick up svt, i will try not to modify any internal structure and only fiberglass bezel with proper iso mounting at the side..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
konafocuswrc,Mar 21 2010, 08:38 AM Wrote:when i pick up svt, i will try not to modify any internal structure and only fiberglass bezel with proper iso mounting at the side..
[right][snapback]303624[/snapback][/right]
not really 100% sure if that'll be possible or not.