Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pie Module?
Hey Guys,

I've been looking around for a way to use my iPod in the car. The only solution I've been able to find is the PIE module.

Two questions, first, is this the only option? And second, is there anywhere in Canada I can get one?

I have an 07 ZX4 SES bone stock (and I'd like to keep the stereo that way).

Thanks!
-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
FM modular at Best Buy
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

yep from best buy, that piece from scosche is somewhere like $110 range..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Scorcher000,Sep 25 2008, 08:22 PM Wrote:FM modular at Best Buy
[right][snapback]273287[/snapback][/right]

or Candian Tire
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
FM doesnt work that well in downtown TO. FM module works great on backroads and away from bigger cities. I looked at all the options and decided to spend the 150 and get a new deck with audio IN.

So when it came to my Jetta, i wanted to keep the stock radio in as well. So decided on the tape adapter instead of FM module :) thats how much i hate the FM module :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Scourge,Sep 25 2008, 08:42 PM Wrote:Hey Guys,

I've been looking around for a way to use my iPod in the car.&nbsp; The only solution I've been able to find is the PIE module.&nbsp;

Two questions, first, is this the only option?&nbsp; And second, is there anywhere in Canada I can get one?&nbsp;

I have an 07 ZX4 SES bone stock (and I'd like to keep the stereo that way).

Thanks!
-George
[right][snapback]273281[/snapback][/right]

It's your only option if you want to control your i-pod by way of the factory head unit ... and it has the added benefit of not being FM - which IMO is the only way to go ... pretty pricey though ... looks like you can get them in the States for about 140 USD + shipping.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
what fm modulator does is, when you filip the switch for modulator, it cuts out all fm station..so there won't be any problem within city..
88.1 or 88.3 you can choose any of signal that is strong enough..

i live in toronto downtown, i drive there lots..i didn't have any problem with scosche kit..but i could be wrong..because i haven't tried 88.1 or 88.3..but others..

you might have confused btw fm transmitter and modulator..

anyway, for the best sound quality, using aux in will be the best option but obviously 07 focus doesn't have aux input..

go with aftermarket and it will give you full control over your ipod..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
konafocuswrc,Sep 25 2008, 09:59 PM Wrote:anyway, for the best sound quality, using aux in will be the best option but obviously 07 focus doesn't have aux input..

go with aftermarket and it will give you full control over your ipod..
[right][snapback]273294[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, actually in a way it does ... so long as you aren't using the factory satellite radio .. the P.I.E. unit converts the satellite input at the back of the unit into an iPod dock connector. iPod song text shows up on the stereo's display, and you get full access to your playlists ... and it is a direct digital audio connection.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

konafocuswrc,Sep 25 2008, 09:36 PM Wrote:yep from best buy, that piece from scosche is somewhere like $110 range..
[right][snapback]273289[/snapback][/right]

Don't cheap out on the hardware, my wife got the $30 walmart special...crap.

PS Konafocus your new rims look great.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
true true..PIE will be the best choice for your stock radio..
but i am sure your factory radio will stop work before PIE will..

PS - Canadian ST thanks!!
Does everyone realize there are 2 types of FM units? The first and usually cheaper option, is an actual low wattage FM transmitter. They actually 'broadcast' your music. And in Toronto work poorly, if at all. The second unit, install inline with your antenna, it 'tunes' on an FM frequencie but does not 'broadcast'. These units do not suffer any interference, and generally cost a little (plus the antenna adapters).
I have (had installed) an CD changer with the second type and it worked flawlessly with my stock deck.

When shopping be aware of the differences.
NefCanuck and I both had the PIE adapters to enable the input through the AUX channel on the factory head. The unit works well (when the connections are tight ;) ). The iPod specific one is supposed to interface well with the head unit too. Definitely worth the money, makes my sat radio crystal clear with no worries about interference.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Sep 26 2008, 08:28 AM Wrote:NefCanuck and I both had the PIE adapters to enable the input through the AUX channel on the factory head. The unit works well (when the connections are tight ;) ). The iPod specific one is supposed to interface well with the head unit too. Definitely worth the money, makes my sat radio crystal clear with no worries about interference.
[right][snapback]273326[/snapback][/right]

Man, I remember watching you installing that and going &quot;Dear god, I'd be seeing the chiropractor every day for a week after trying to pull off those moves&quot; :ph34r:

Yeah the PIE adapter is the next best thing to buying a Ford with the SYNC system in it ;)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck
Hey Guys, thanks for all the responses!

I definately want to keep the stock head unit and I do not want to use an FM transmitter. I didn't realize PIE had an iPod specific interface. I was thinking more along the lines of an AUX input to accept a 3.5mm stereo jack.

So does anybody konw where in canada I can source a PIE module? Also, which one do I need? I've seen a bunch of listings for radios with a &quot;SAT&quot; button, but I've got the &quot;AUX&quot; button. Are there any PIE knockoffs out there that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
Scourge,Sep 27 2008, 09:56 AM Wrote:I definately want to keep the stock head unit and I do not want to use an FM transmitter.&nbsp; I didn't realize PIE had an iPod specific interface.&nbsp; I was thinking more along the lines of an AUX input to accept a 3.5mm stereo jack.&nbsp;

So does anybody konw where in canada I can source a PIE module?&nbsp; Also, which one do I need?&nbsp; I've seen a bunch of listings for radios with a &quot;SAT&quot; button, but I've got the &quot;AUX&quot; button.&nbsp; Are there any PIE knockoffs out there that I should be aware of?
[right][snapback]273408[/snapback][/right]
It appears you have a few options (not sure of availability in Canada) ...

PIE - into the aux input

PIE - into sat radio input

BrandMotion - into sat radio input

There may be others depending on which ipod you have ... there are a number of sites out there like crutchfield that have vehicle configurators to help filter through the choices

Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Audio-...p4506.m20.l1116
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
The link isn't working.

I found the unit's on crutchfield canada. Just have to decide if I want the ipod specific one with control from the head unit or the RCA adapter one so I can use different sources too.

Thanks all!
-George