Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group Buy On Brakes
I’m buying new rotors and pads in the US, so this is one last kick at the “I’ve got a good deal” can.

I’ve negotiated what I think is an excellent deal with a reputable online brake supplier ... and those who also think this is a good deal are all invited to take part. I’m giving this a week to see if there’s any interest – post up here or PM if you’re interested – PayPal or CC only - we'll close the group buy next Monday, one way or the other; however if the timing isn't exactly right for you, please keep reading.

I will have all items in hand in the GTA within 14 days of closing the group buy – 7 days for the supplier to ship and 7 days for me to get down there and pick it up. I have no intention of allowing this to become a marathon or an embarrassment - long-term members will know what I mean. Newer members are welcome to check out my buyer/seller rating.

The supplier is buybrakes.com and everything on the website is eligible for this deal. They also carry suspension parts but I haven't compared their prices on that stuff - the discount applies to everything they have.

Here’s the deal ...

1) This supplier’s brake prices are the lowest I’ve found based on my research of reputable dealers. A reputable dealer is one that is authorized by the manufacturer to sell their product; many online vendors are not authorized suppliers. For example, buybrakes.com is listed on the EBC website as an authorized dealer.

2) This supplier offers free shipping within the US lower 48 which factored into my assessment of their prices – and they have a decent selection of brands – and they have a real warehouse (they are not a drop-shipper) and they have inventory.

3) I negotiated an additional discount off their prices ... so take an additional 7% off their already discounted prices. There is no minimum, but an extra 1% discount is available with a total order of $1000 or more – I will issue the refund myself if we get to that point.

4) They ship it free to my US address (their shipping is NOT free to Canada) ... I pay your taxes at the border and bring up to the GTA.

5) We can meet up or I ship it on to you – your choice – I’m willing to meet you half way in the GTA and with some flexibility and creativity we should be able to avoid shipping costs.

6) If shipping in Canada is unavoidable, here’s some examples of shipping costs for 2 rotors + a set of pads via Canada Post Expedited Parcel, insured – I’m willing to package it up, label it and take it to the post office at my own expense and time:

GTA/Oshawa/Hamilton/Barrie: 21.00, Terrebonne QC:24.00 , Ottawa ON: 24.00, Sudbury ON: 24.00, Winnipeg MB: 31.00, Halifax NS: 33.00.

7) Budget accommodation: if you’re interested in this deal but the timing isn’t right, I won't hold the Group Buy open for you, it's not fair to the others. However, what I will do is accept a 15% non-refundable deposit and purchase the parts for you – we will complete the arrangement when the timing’s right for you - no deadline, no pressure.

What makes this an outstanding deal IMO is that their regular prices are already the lowest I could find on the internet (factoring in the free shipping and considering reputable suppliers) ... see below for some examples or go online and check it out yourself ... the formula is this: their USD discount price x 1.1017 = equals your all-in price in CAD including taxes.

Example 1:
Brembo blank rotor 27149 (00-04 Focus non-SVT)
55.60 – 7% = 51.71 USD x 1.0483 (exchange) = 54.21 CAD x 1.13 (PST/GST) = 61.26 CAD all in.
(short math method = USD price x 1.1017, ie: 55.60 x 1.1017 = 61.26)

Example 2:
Brembo Sport Slotted or Cross Drilled 37149 or 47149 (00-04 Focus non-SVT)
92.86 x 1.1017 = 102.30 CAD all in (sold in pairs only)

Example 3:
EBC Ultimax Black Dash Series Sport Slotted rotor USR895 (00-04 Focus non-SVT)
63.68 x 1.1017 = 70.16 CAD all in (sold in pairs only)

Example 4:
Hawk HPS pads HB346F.713 (00-04 Focus non-SVT)
79.67 x 1.1017 = 87.77 CAD all in

FAIR WARNING
1) I am not representing these prices to be the absolute lowest you could manage yourself – this is intended to be a lower-cost alternative to importing them legally yourself or buying them in Canada. Therefore please do not compare these prices to going to the states yourself and then smuggling them across the border – I’ll tell you now that you may be able to do better this way notwithstanding your time and the cost of fuel – so don’t bother posting about it – I reserve the right to delete such posts.

2) Reality checks are welcome ... but they must be fair and complete and accurate ... I will delete any posts that claim a lower price if it does not include the math (see my math above) ... either a verifiable GTA pick-up price with taxes included, or a verifiable US price including all importing costs such as currency exchange, PST, GST, shipping to Canada, UPS brokerage fees etc.

Having said that, if you can find a verifiably lower landed price from a reputable supplier, and can prove it, I ask that you share it with us.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
:lol: Too bad I had my rotors/pads changed on Saturday... ah well.

And Ken is great to deal with! I purchased my gauge face through him without a problem!
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
A+++++ For a great seller. Great brakes as well. Sadly I won't be taking part.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
TTT - thanks for the kind words guys ... the brake group buy of 2006 got a lot of interest so maybe this one got lost over the long weekend ... or maybe nobody's doing brakes this summer ...

Also: does anyone have any experience with EBC yellowstuff vs. Hawk HPS vs. Greenstuff? I'll be putting new rotors and pads in advance of the next BMW track days at Mosport in September and not sure which way to go.

I was reasonably happy with the performance of the Greenstuff pads I put on last year but they've worn really quickly

Thanks for any and all input.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

I've used greenstuff pads on all my cars and generally like them. I do however HATE ebc rotors, they generate too much noise and vibrations.

I had EBC rotors/pads on my car for 3 years, and they still look good even after track days, etc. Unsure why your ebc pads wore quick. How many km's did you put on them?

I'm going to pull the rotors/pads on my two cars and check out whats left on them.
I'd be interested in the HAWK brake pads for (00-04) focus! Any personal experiences with them? I heard they have low brake dust (since the stock brake pads create brake dust like crazy).

How many ppl need to order to make this a go?
Be the change you want to see in this world.
BTW thanks Ken for these amazing offers. This is a great price for the hawk brake pads!
cornflakes,Aug 6 2008, 05:42 PM Wrote:I'd be interested in the HAWK brake pads for (00-04) focus!  Any personal experiences with them?  I heard they have low brake dust (since the stock brake pads create brake dust like crazy).

[right][snapback]270010[/snapback][/right]

Had 'em on the Focus, they were a little weak from dead cold, but one or two stops and they grabbed like you were attached to the anchor from the Titanic ;)

When the Fusion stockers die, that's what'll go on there if I can help it :D

NefCanuck
cornflakes,Aug 6 2008, 06:42 PM Wrote:How many ppl need to order to make this a go?

With what I'm buying I've already met the criteria for free US shipping ... and being the silver-tongued devil I am I negotiated the discount on the basis of promoting their website - no minimum required.

So basically this is a go now - you can order with confidence that this is a solid deal - the order goes in Monday ... so everyone who participates will have their brakes no later than Aug 25th and probably sooner.

And to that point - I'm on the full track at Mosport the weekend of Sep 5-7 and I will have my new brakes on by then ...

Right now I'm leaning towards combining Brembo sport slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

Last call for these brake parts - the order goes in Monday.

I guess I am too late.
Gfocus,Aug 14 2008, 10:13 AM Wrote:I guess I am too late.
[right][snapback]270393[/snapback][/right]
What do you need / want - I might still be able to get it for the group buy price, and there's another member who still wants some Hawk pads.

yep i still want the hawk pads, just waiting for aug.18 to roll around so i can send you the payment. thx (00-04 sedan)
NefCanuck,Aug 6 2008, 07:39 PM Wrote:
cornflakes,Aug 6 2008, 05:42 PM Wrote:I'd be interested in the HAWK brake pads for (00-04) focus!  Any personal experiences with them?  I heard they have low brake dust (since the stock brake pads create brake dust like crazy).

Had 'em on the Focus, they were a little weak from dead cold, but one or two stops and they grabbed like you were attached to the anchor from the Titanic ;)

When the Fusion stockers die, that's what'll go on there if I can help it :D

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]270015[/snapback][/right]

Really? I hate them. The KVR pads I had before were much better.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
how much would it be for a set of HP + (only front, on a 2004 focus) ??
"Tightness isn't how your car looks, it's how hard you drive it."
-Lg, track addict.
lgSPI,Aug 21 2008, 10:11 AM Wrote:how much would it be for a set of HP + (only front, on a 2004 focus) ??
[right][snapback]270838[/snapback][/right]
For Hawk HP+ (HB346N.713) it will be 142.00 all in, including taxes, GTA pickup.

The Hawk HPS (HB346F.713) is 94.00 all in, including taxes, GTA pickup.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Group Buy On Brakes. wadem 157 48,670 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Last Post: meford4u