Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Itouch Update
Well there is a new software upgrade available for my iTouch. I did the first upgrade in January using an Apple iTunes gift card and everything worked fine. But now aparently that option is not available. Apple is telling me that the new Canadian tax laws and commerce restriction laws for software do not allow us Canadians to purchace software using store credit. They only allow these to be bought by credit card. Needless to say Apple did not let any of their customers know this information. So now I have a $20 on-line credit on my Apple Account.

I find this very frustrating and I have voiced my concerns to Apple and apparently they do not care for us, the Canadian consumer. The tech I was speaking to via e-mail on the Apple Support site was quite rude and I am taking this to the next level. I am going to phone the Tech Line and go into the Apple Store and let them know just how frustrated I am, but somehow I do not think this is going to get me very far. During my conversation with the tech I told him that I may as well hack my iTouch and download just about any application I want and not worry about their software, and he just didn't seem to care. He kind of encouraged it.

I am at a loss, I don't know what to do.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
hack it. screw them.
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 1 2008, 08:30 AM Wrote:Well there is a new software upgrade available for my iTouch.  I did the first upgrade in January using an Apple iTunes gift card and everything worked fine.  But now aparently that option is not available.  Apple is telling me that the new Canadian tax laws and commerce restriction laws for software do not allow us Canadians to purchace software using store credit.  They only allow these to be bought by credit card.  Needless to say Apple did not let any of their customers know this information.  So now I have a $20 on-line credit on my Apple Account. 

I find this very frustrating and I have voiced my concerns to Apple and apparently they do not care for us, the Canadian consumer.  The tech I was speaking to via e-mail on the Apple Support site was quite rude and I am taking this to the next level.  I am going to phone the Tech Line and go into the Apple Store and let them know just how frustrated I am, but somehow I do not think this is going to get me very far.  During my conversation with the tech I told him that I may as well hack my iTouch and download just about any application I want and not worry about their software, and he just didn't seem to care.  He kind of encouraged it. 

I am at a loss, I don't know what to do.
[right][snapback]269716[/snapback][/right]

And this is why I don't support Apple - they treat Canadians like USSR member states - shut up, accept what you're given and nevermind what anyone else has.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, man. There are plenty of other great multimedia players out there if you're not totally drinking the Apple koolaid as far as the GUI goes. Ebay your player if you want to make back a bit of cash. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

[right][snapback]269716[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And this is why I don't support Apple - they treat Canadians like USSR member states - shut up, accept what you're given and nevermind what anyone else has.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, man. There are plenty of other great multimedia players out there if you're not totally drinking the Apple koolaid as far as the GUI goes. Ebay your player if you want to make back a bit of cash. :)
[right][snapback]269723[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

You don't support Apple because it pains you to admit that they offer a superior product.

:rolleyes:

ANTHONYD,Aug 1 2008, 09:57 AM Wrote:[right][snapback]269716[/snapback][/right]

[right][snapback]269723[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

You don't support Apple because it pains you to admit that they offer a superior product.

[right][snapback]269725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Which is why Apple has no on-site tech support for North Bay but we don't have a problem getting NBD (next business day) or better support for our Dell and IBM hardware. And the product is only superior if the rank and file can operate it correctly - or be trained on it easily.

Face it, outside of Toronto, Ottawa, perhaps Montreal and Vancouver - Apple is where, exactly? Anyone can order their stuff, but what do you do when OSX tanks? Or if you blow some Apple-specific piece of hardware that you're forbidden from replacing yourself? Is a 3-7 day turnaround with ship-to-depot service fair?

The "other guys" don't discriminate anywhere near that much, bud. And for Apple to be spouting their quasi-legal BS excuses doesn't make it any better. Instead of supporting their Canadian PAYING customers, they're abandoning them (likely doubly so now that the iPoop, uh I mean iPhone is now available in Canada). Why support a non-phone iPhone when you can make them just go and buy an iPhone for the same experience all over again?

That koolaid looks overdue, someone ought to throw it out.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Here's the thing, Apple likely in their lawyered up End User Licence Agreement probably has all the escape clauses that let them do this...

Doesn't mean that it's fair, it may be legally right, but it certainly turns people off their products doesn't it?

I admit to using the iTunes software, because nothing is as intuative to use (and the price is certainly right) but frankly I would never buy one of the Apple players because of the things shortcomings (non user replaceable batteries, abysmal after sales support)

NefCanuck
When did you purchase the January Update? It was removed from the store at the end of June for the new 2.0 update, which has everything in the January plus other updates like the Apps store. The 2.0 is only $10, instead of the rip off of $20 they wanted for the January.

Anyways, I was surprised when it did not take it off my credit on itunes for the 2.0 update and put it on my credit card.

Just jailbreak it and have fun.
'03 Focus SVT
[rant]So get this, I called Apple Support Canada tonight to explain the issues I am having and they cannot answer my questions. I slow it down a bit so that the "bimbo"(using the term lightly) can understand what I am trying to say. We talk back and forth for a little while and then she says that she can elevate my questions to the next level. I say "Great! When will someone be calling me back?" Get this, she say's and I quote "I don't think anyone will be calling you back". WTF!!!!!! So I asked nicely to speak to a supervisor or someone more willing to provide support for their pricey little trinkets. Guess what I got...... Hung up on!!

Mother Fu(kers. I am seriously pissed. In our house we have 4 iPods and 3 users. Being in the Customer Service field myself for a International Oil company, if I treated any of our customers like that I would be out on my ass in a split second.

What do I do? Where should I go from here? Silverman Helps, Consumer SOS, or should I just take my $400+ media player back to the nearest Apple Store and tell them to shove it up their A$$.

BTW, I tried to call them back to complain about their CSR "Jessica" but their hours of opperation were over. I guess she had to clock out so she didn't incur any over time hours. Guess what I am doing when I wake up in the morning? First I am calling apple back, and then I am going to my local Apple store and really voicing my opinion for their technical support. Be sure to watch the 6 o'clock news incase things get out of hand. [/rant]

I purchaced the January update in Feb. or shortly there after.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
I'm still rockin' my 512MB Sandisk Sansa (yes it's expandable to 1.5G, and I have several 1.0G cards for it). It's easy as pie to operate, plugs n' plays to everything, and for the amount of abuse it's taken, I can't believe it hasn't died yet. When it does die, I think I'm going to replace it with the Sansa View, and I'm not concerned with having 20-80 Gigs in the palm of my hand...I have a 2G card in my LG Shine, and I have enough memory in my Laptop that I don't need another personal device.

I keep being told by the people that work at electronics stores that the Upper-end Sansa's, Samsungs and creative ZEN's are actually superior to the i-stuff in terms of user friendliness, reliability, and plug n' play connectivity...

Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I've got the same gripe -- sorta.

My daughter turned 16 last week, and when my kids turn 16 they get their last big gift -- so my daughter wanted an iPod touch. FutureShop had the 16GB "Version 2" so that's what I bought, cost nearly $450 out the door. I was pissed to find out that "Version 2" doesn't exist -- Futureshop coined the term to differentiate it from the initial release iPod. So it only has the 1.1.14 or something firmware on it. Nothing like getting a product home and they want $10 for the upgrade to the real 2.0 firmware.

I'll be straightening it out this week now that I'm back from my trip. :angry:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Yeah but Future Schlock likes to play fast & loose with the rules as a matter of course (Esp. since their sales drones are on commission, the more they sell, the bigger their spiffs)

I'll buy media from them, but hardware I usually take a wide pass on <_<

NefCanuck
I refuse to support Apple whatsoever. I bought and iBook for using for dj'ing because it's a great format for Seratto Dj software. Right off the bat I had major problems with it. Don't ask what because I have no idea, I'm not a computer techie person. It kept shutting off, randomly and doing other things.

I talked to tech support, they couldn't help (surprise surprise). They recommended sending it to them or bringing it back the store I got it from and having one of their guys look at it in person. So I brought it in. I told the guy that I wasn't hugely knowledgable about computers. I know the very basics, that's it. They guy looks at me with this look of half shock and shakes his head and lets out a big sigh. "What's it doing?" I explain what it does. He asks about some setting. I tell him I don't know, I took it out of the box, installed my software, did the registration etc and it does this right frm the get go. Once again, the look, head shake and sigh. with "f***ing people." added this time. "Exceuse me?" "Well, if you knew what you'd done wrong, it would be a lot easier to figure out." "Well, sorry I'm not a f***ing computer tech. i turned it on, started the steps I was told to do and it shut down, restarted, boom same thing." "Well, you have to leave it with me." "Ok. (start to give him my info so he can call me when it's ready)." "I have your number" he snapped at me. This is when I got a little choked and told him not to talk to me like that. He says "Whatev's." and walked away with my my laptop. So I left after a few minutes of being ignored.

I hadn't heard anything after 4 days, so I called and asked for the guy. He tells me that there's some problem with it and that apple is going to replace it. "OK. When can I pick one up? I kind of need it for work this weekend." "Well, they're sending us one. It'll probably be 2-3 weeks." "That doesn't work for me, can you not give me one from your inventory? I did buy this from your store." "No." "OK. Well, why don't I buy another ne, and when that one comes in just credit it to me." "Hold on." doesn't actually put me on hold, just puts the phone down and says to his supervisor "That idiot with the ibook that was pooched, he's on the phone, wants us to replace the warranty one that's coming from inventory, I said no, he wants to buy another one and then credit the one that's coming. How should I tell him no?" "f***in' people. I don't care, tell him to just wait for it." "Hey man,..." I cut him off "There's a 30 day return policy on the bottom of my invoice, I'LL BE THERE IN A 1/2 HOUR! HAVE MY CASH READY FOR ME!!!"

Had a hell of a fight with them when I got there. They offered me instore credit. Yeah, like I want that. By the end of the day though I had a cashiers cheque in my hand. I lodged a complaint with Apple, they said someone would call me. Been 3 months, haven't heard anything.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
I've used Apple products since the Apple II and have owned Apple products now for over 20 years and so far the only problem I had was with a G3 Powerbook about 10 years ago that failed miserably and trough allot of perseverance with a Apple CSR I got Apple to replace the Powerbook and to my surprise when the new Powerbook arrived they had upgraded me to a faster model with a bigger LCD screen. My Sister blew the logic board on her iBook 2 years ago and within 10 days had it replaced and back in her hands. When dealing with Apple's CSR's it best to keep your cool and if you get one that is not seeing things your way say thank you and try calling back eventually you will get one that is in a good mood, or better yet take it to an Apple store and talk to them face to face.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
K_OS,Aug 6 2008, 01:19 PM Wrote:When dealing with Apple's CSR's it best to keep your cool and if you get one that is not seeing things your way say thank you and try calling back eventually you will get one that is in a good mood, or better yet take it to an Apple store and talk to them face to face.
[right][snapback]269987[/snapback][/right]

Why should he have to call back? If I call in once to get a problem fixed, I expect that it's fixed or well on its way to being fixed by the time I hang up the phone.

Case in point: Cogeco. (Kev, you'll love this, and no I'm not getting StarChoice after all :P )

Hardk0re told me about StarChoice and their packages. I checked into it and really, I was impressed. However, I wasn't stoked about having to change from cable to satellite, new dish and cabling installs, etc., so I called Cogeco to complain / find out what was available to me in terms of options.

Call #1, operator #1 - friendly, agreeable (mind you, they're all in London, ON, not Bangladesh or who knows where) but lacking the power to assist. They transfer me to the Customer Service Reps with authority to make changes.

Call #2, operator #2 - at first he's a little standoffish and clipped with me as I attempt to explain that StarChoice really does offer 260 channels of standard def and 30 channels of hi-def for 50 bucks per month. No extra fees, no terminal rental, nothing... just 290 channels and I own my own box. He proceeds to tell me that not all 30 HD channels are unique (some are east/west variants, true, but that's splitting hairs) and that a lot of the 260 standard-def channels are dupes (not sold on that one).

I tell him point blank that with a Digital Select #1 @ 48.99/mo and HD @ 6.00/mo, plus my 10.00/mo hi-def terminal rental, I'm on the losing end of the stick. I also complain about the removal and sequestering of Discovery HD to a useless 2-pack with HDNet (the world's most useless HD channel, apparently). He then chuckles and tells me that the Discovery removal from "regular" HD access is his most griped-about HD issue. I also lament the unavailability of National Geographic HD. It's "coming soon", he says.

So then I tell him to give me a reason to keep Cogeco for TV. I also point out my Internet and VoIP subscriptions and how Cogeco generally makes me very happy and currently locks up my communications budget for the month each month.

He then takes a weird turn and tells me that since I would have to buy the HD receiver from SC, I should just buy the Cogeco one. I ask him if they'll even partially credit my last 1 1/2 years of HD receiver rental fees towards the purchase. "No". Well, then what's the diff? I'll just buy the SC one for 150 after the 50 dollar credit on my first bill, 200 cheaper than theirs.

Now he's on the ropes. They then tell me that they'll send me the HD PVR right away (got it last night, already have it recording shows!), free for a year, and then cheaper than my non-PVR rental after that. Fine, but what about the serious lack of channels?

*poof* Suddenly I'm comp'ed a free channel pack for life. Not bad. B) But then I raise the ugly "you guys have half the HD channels of SC" spectre. They then give me HD access and the "extra" HD channels (2 of 'em) free for 8 months while I decide whether or not I want to stay with Cogeco.

So, based on their current market rates (not the supposed eventual HD PVR rental rate), that saves me:

15.99/mo for the HD PVR
6/mo for the HD access fee (which will be lowered this fall to 2.99/mo supposedly)
Approx. 5/mo for an extra channel pack (I say approx cause it goes from 1-3 packs, no 2nd avail on the site but they can turn it on easily)

So that's a savings of about $27/mo right there. What did I do then? Ordered the Movie Networks packages (incl. Mpix HD and TMNHD) for $12/mo for 6 months :D

I'm still ahead of where I was before and I'm happy with it. Sure, it's not "as much" as SC but I'm very happy with the lengths they went to with me to ensure that I was "happy" with their service.

I'll take good customer care over running with scissors and a new service any day of the week, espceially when it lowers my bill.

NOS, I had a same experience with Bell Expressvu (of all companies) recently.

We were going to switch to the StarChoice non-HD package from our current Expressvu. My wife called to cancel, and the CSR put her straight to the customer retention people. Within 5 minutes, We had 30% off for the next year on EVERYTHING. And Bell had a better channel selection anyway, so win-win! :D

As far as Apple recently, I have a 2 GB iPod Nano 1st Gen. That's it. I bought it used for a great deal, and it has been problem free. It's not quite as involved as an iTouch or iPhone, but it does the job for me, and at a great price for what I paid.

I actually used to sell Apple products years ago (pre-iPod, when the iMacs were just coming out in their iLamp phase). Some of the easiest sales I made, simply because people came in looking for the exact product. You didn't have to sell it! Now since they are so 'mainstream', I pitty the sales people who have to explain over and over to people that a Mac isn't the same as an HP/Toshiba/Compaq/Dell/Lenovo.
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
My HD failed in my MacBook, brought it in and they fixed it the next day............plus they had a newer OS installed.

I bought it at the apple store yet they let me fix it at the closest authorized apple dealer, which was 10km from my house.

Honestly the HD pissed me off cause I lost all my work, but since then the book has been running trouble free.......and I bought myself an external HD just in case.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
As NOS said, why should you have to call back, then call back again, agian and again until you get a good CSR. That's BS. Why should I, the customer who just spent a wad of cash have to lick the CSR's balls to get something rectified within a day of buying said product?

As a parts guy/tech support for HD Equipment parts, I have to be decent to the customers calling or walking in. Sometimes it's really difficult, believe me but I don't have a choice, these people pay my company for their products who in turn pay me to do my job so, yeah. If you don't like customer service, don't be a CSR.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
ANTHONYD,Aug 1 2008, 09:57 AM Wrote::lol:

[right][snapback]269725[/snapback][/right]

Apple doesn't have a superior product per se -- but they offer a superior user experience.

You can do more with a blackberry, HTC smartphone (or hell, any number of other smart phones out there) than an iPhone. You can get much better MP3 players like the zune -- which offered wifi a long time ago, a subscription service for unlimited music and the ability to 'poke' music onto other zunes which Apple is rhumored to be just working on now.

Considering the new iPhones are suffering cracks due to the switch to 100% plastic construction, apple's historical indifference to battery life (any lithium battery will be dead in a year's time if you have to charge it every day), and their buggy OS (the macbook freezing/rebooting issue was a longstanding problem with the keyboard drivers), I wouldn't say that they offer a superior product.

However, I can't argue about the user experience.. when things work, they work spectacularily well -- and that's always been apple's strong point and they built their brand around it.

Just look at the surveys... when people think innovation, they think Apple.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!