Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waxing?
This may seem like a stupid question, but I'd like to finally have an answer.

First of all, should I wax my car myself or should I go to a place that does it? I feel fairly capable to do a good job, but some horror stories have recently brought me to question whether this is something I should just be lazy about and pay someone to do.

Secondly, is there a specific place that does autodetailing well? Preferences? Experiences? I live in Hamilton, so local places are a plus.

Thirdly, and I know this is arguable, but I'm wondering what kind of wax/soap products you recommend for my Focus.

I'd really like to protect this, my first car, so any help you can offer is great!

Thanks

Andy
I took this advice from someone on this fourm and it work to perfection.

First I washed the car with dish soap to get rid of all the wax, then I used a claybar(mothers) instructions are on package. But take your time when using this, it's the most important step.
Then wax/poslish the car (I used auto glym extra gloss protection) i don't use a machine to wax or polish because it leave light scratchs.
I have a black car and this process looked great.
hope it works for you
[SIZE=x-small][COLOR=gray][FONT=Arial][I] Killa Cam ST
Here's what I do.

#1. Wash with Meguars Gold.
#2. Repeat #1 if necessary.
#3. Use Turtle Wax Claybar, much easier and better results IMO.
#4. Use Turtle Wax Liquid Wax. Its the clear stuff. (God I love that s***!)

Optionals. Use Meguiars Plast-X on all the plastic s***. Buffer is good too after the wax.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
KillaCamST,Jul 12 2008, 10:15 AM Wrote:I took this advice from someone on this fourm and it work to perfection.

First I washed the car with dish soap to get rid of all the wax, then I used a claybar(mothers) instructions are on package. But take your time when using this, it's the most important step.
Then wax/poslish the car (I used auto glym extra gloss protection) i don't use a machine to wax or polish because it leave light scratchs.
hope it works for you
[right][snapback]268549[/snapback][/right]

And it was me! :D :D :lol:

And this is the result! (I've been using this procedure for my Focus twice a year every year since 2001 aside from regular car washes and the car still looks so good after 160000km)
the Z4 -- http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=24174
the Focus -- http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=23891
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
KillaCamST,Jul 12 2008, 10:15 AM Wrote:I took this advice from someone on this fourm and it work to perfection.

hope it works for you

Bold part...

Waxing and polishing is two VERY different things. ;)

...and I would not use dishsoap (i have in the past, but no more). Use plain old water with vinegar to get rid of old wax and s***.

I'll be detailing the focus tonight for the TSC show this week-end, I'll post pics, though silver is hard to show off.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
If the first thing you do is wash the car with dish soap, use Dawn and you'll notice the water will not bead when you've finished rinsing it all off. All old crap wax is gone.

Everything you do, do it in the shade. If you don't have shade find it next to a school where nobody will be this time of year.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Flofocus,Jul 15 2008, 02:25 PM Wrote:

hope it works for you

Bold part...

Yes, and it should be polish/wax as first you polish, then wax.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Jul 22 2008, 08:24 PM Wrote:

hope it works for you

Bold part...

[right][snapback]269210[/snapback][/right]

I meant wax to him. I guess he's saying the "action" when you buff off the wax.
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
yeloZX3,Jul 24 2008, 07:28 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Jul 22 2008, 08:24 PM Wrote:

hope it works for you

Bold part...

[right][snapback]269210[/snapback][/right]

I meant wax to him. I guess he's saying the "action" when you buff off the wax.
[right][snapback]269332[/snapback][/right]

And btw, I suggested to use Autoglym extra gloss protection, and if you look at their description, it is actually a wax-like polish that you use it as wax on a car with smoothed out paint (i.e. after claybar). So the term wax/polish is kind of make sense in this case. :D
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3