Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
189,000 Km Rear Wheel Bearings Are Toast
What a way to start off the long weekend. It all started Thursday 10 mins away from my house the whining from the rear which i thought was my new tires got worse and started to wobble.

Got home, jacked her up and sure enough the right rear baaring was gone. I didn't have a 30mm socket so I just wanted to take a looksy by removing the 4 spindle bolts. The bearing was pretty much seized and I couldnt even turn the spindle on the drum.

End of the day, in addition to getting the bearing kit, I ended up buying the rear drums with bearing already packed in , whew, the scary thing was putting the new abs ring on the hub.

I also changed the spindle because they were pitted, and emery clothe wasnt going to do much.

It was my first time to ever tank of the drums, i usually give in and just let the stealership do it.

Not this time...they quoted me 3 hours at 106/hr...

Im just glad its done...Im hoping nothing else starts to break down anytime soon...I just had the timing belt and water pump done a week and a half ago, my wallet is still bleeding from that one.

Oh...and if you are going to replace the spindle...good luck trying to get the wheel speed sensor out. I end up twisting the head of the bolt and had to drill out what was left in the hole just to remove it. + I had to buy an M6 hex bolt with lock washer. The dealer apparenty doesnt have any?

I learned a lot....thanks to forums like this and focusfanatics.com helped a lot too.

thanks for reading.
2002 ZX5 - Liquid Grey Stock [commuter car 100kms a day]
206,000km Automatic transmission
Ya I had that happen to me too, except I was drifting in the snow with it lol. Any who the bearings are in teh drumbs and they worpped on so I had a wop wop wop sound outta my rear end all the time I spent $200 on all Rayabestus Drumbs and Shoes and Hold down kit. My buddy and I put it all in. So now I'm looking to get disk in the back as i wrote in another thread.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

replacing the drums and bearings is the better way to go. less hassle and usually its around the same price by the time you include the labour for bearing replacement.

Glad it all worked out at the end for you.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

189K, bearing went out, and your mad?

Try replacing the front bearings 2 weeks after you bought the car NEW! :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is this ? right rear wheel zx3wantobesvt 3 1,612 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Last Post: zx3wantobesvt
  ANYONE EVER REPLACE THEIR REAR BEARINGS? ANTHONYD 6 2,434 09-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD