Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welding
Alrighty..

I need to weld brackets to my Jeep in order to attach the tow bar.

Problem is, I don't know how to weld or fabricate.

How would I go about learning to weld?
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Do you have a welder? If not pickup an older quality MIG. Stay away from Princess Auto welders, and chicago electric ones. They jam up and are just a hastle.

I picked up a used Lincoln SP175T Mig and a bottle of Argon/CO2 gas for under 300 on kijiji.

With that I got a bunch of metal from my father inlaw, and what I had kicking around. Different thicknesses of metal and quality. Play with the settings. Theres a few youtube videos that show you basic welding concepts.

I can weld fairly good, I give my welder allot of the credit, my father inlaw has a chicago electric wire feed Flux Core Welder and I can't weld worth hell on it.
I have access to a mig welder.

unfortunately I just can't weld. Ill have to sign up for some workshop or some s***.

Where can I get a welder for hire now? :P

i quite literally need two brackets bolted/welded to my Jeep for the flat tow bar.
Can your jeep be driven?
Go to a hitch shop.

Seriously.

Everybody and their cousin can "weld". I have a MIG welder. I can stick and MIG weld, and I wouldn't undertake that -- I don't do it enough and most hobby welders don't either.

Problem is, you or your "buddy" fracks it up and you've messed up your car by undercutting the metal or get bad penetration and you've got a car letting go as you tow it. You're not welding on a piece of exhaust, your welding needs to take the stress of pushing or pulling (starting and braking) a 3500 pound car.

Don't take the chance, take it to a pro.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
^^ thats what I was getting to, but step #1. Can it be moved....

Me thinks he wants a tow bar to tow it :P
hardk0re,Apr 24 2010, 12:50 PM Wrote:^^ thats what I was getting to, but step #1.  Can it be moved....

Me thinks he wants a tow bar to tow it :P
[right][snapback]305827[/snapback][/right]

ding ding ding

Guess I'm stuck bolting some brackets to my Jeep. Now, to figure out where to bolt them.

Buddy won't be able to do any welding either. He needs 220v.. my garage doesn't have that.

Well... time to start looking to invest in some bolts and brackets.
Mystake,Apr 26 2010, 10:31 AM Wrote:Buddy won't be able to do any welding either. He needs 220v.. my garage doesn't have that.
you could always wire the 2x110 plugs together lol.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Spinal,May 2 2010, 03:18 AM Wrote:
Mystake,Apr 26 2010, 10:31 AM Wrote:Buddy won't be able to do any welding either. He needs 220v.. my garage doesn't have that.
you could always wire the 2x110 plugs together lol.
[right][snapback]306208[/snapback][/right]
Unless you've specifically wired a split receptable in your garage (which isn't common) there isn't 220V at a 110V outlet.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*