Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Can Has Turbo?
Totally never launching. I'm not a drag racer, I do not care if a Civic beats me off the line, I'm not racing him. Infact lol... at Ricer Timmies Friday night some guys in Civics came up to the Subaru club and asked to race anyone for $300. It was terrible, I felt like I must have entered F&TF or something....

From reading the thread, it seems a Cobb will fix it. So that's cool.

I have been hard on the throttle a few times though.

Thanks for the info though naz. That's something no one on a Subaru forum ever mentioned to me.

Edit: Maybe I should get one of these http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/...1034#post911034
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Aka,May 18 2008, 03:14 PM Wrote:Thanks for the info though naz. That's something no one on a Subaru forum ever mentioned to me.
[right][snapback]264595[/snapback][/right]

its hard to find tech unless you troll on nasioc.com most other forums are too small for good tech... regarding your link..keep in mind that buying the STi RA gears will not get you much if any added durability. your car already has gears that are the same width as the RA gears.

you know what. if you won't be tracking it. you should just buy the mods you want and have fun and just shift cleanly and you should have no problems. many people make 280wtq and have no issues on the street. just don't be an ape with the gearbox and get a good tune

but IMHO.. if you mod it and keep it on the street.. you are not having as much fun as if you kept it stock and tracked it

I meant one of the 6-speeds, as they tend to be much stronger I hear.

And it's not hard to find tech info.. it's hard to find reliable tech info instead of "do this because I think it's right and do it myself" ... For example, Royal Purple is the oil often recommended on TSC, but no one's provided me with any info, any real info. I'm not saying it's a bad oil, I'm just saying it feels to me they blindly follow.

They do say Mobil1 is bad and too thin though.
Aka,May 18 2008, 04:47 PM Wrote:They do say Mobil1 is bad and too thin though.
[right][snapback]264606[/snapback][/right]

Well you can probably take that with a dose of salt too. I've been using it since after the break in period, am not exactly gentle with my WRX, I don't track it but do ask a lot of it. I probably am doing a lot of things 'wrong' based on the number of times I ping off the rev limiter, say to self: "that smells like clutch" and I have had no issues.

That has included s***ty city only driving where I gotten as little as 250km/tank (65 litres?), countless QEW runs end to end, a non stop emergency blast to the south shore of Nova Scotia (and back again a couple days later ~18 hours each way) and to crown it all that epic 11,000km in two weeks trip spent mostly going up and down mountains.

Pretty sure its 'safe' to use ;)

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Thanks, I figure it is. They just say it burns off and you need to top it up all the time or something. And that with RP you don't need to do that.

Anyhoo, I figure as long as I use the proper weight and change at say 6k km intervals, I'm good to go.
Aka,May 18 2008, 06:09 PM Wrote:Thanks, I figure it is. They just say it burns off and you need to top it up all the time or something.
[right][snapback]264613[/snapback][/right]

There is actually a picture of me checking my oil after arriving in south west Alberta 2-1/2 days after leaving Toronto and I didn't add a thing then or ever.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, what a great trip! (for those who know the story) :)
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
aka and 2001 ZTS.. for what it is worth.. i actually geeked out and trolled bobistheoilguy.com and the maintenance section of nasioc to look for used oil analysis reports. IMHO this is the only way to get tech on oil. additives remaining lets you determine how long you can extend the drain interval, viscosity test tells you if the oil is indeed too thin, and wear metals tells you if the oil is protection

many analyses of mobil 1 'energy conserving' products (5w30 and 10w30) do show they do not have good high temperature shear stability (ie they shear down to a 20weight). in my personal opinion, this is too thin for the WRX because this means the oil is below the 5w30 recommendation of the OE

i posted a number of my oil analysis on here... i have used shell rotella T 15w40 and it worked great in my motor. very low wear metals, awesome additive package and extremely shear stable

i also used 'german castrol' 0w30 (apparently one of the 'gold standard' full synth oils) and it too protected my engine well (no better than the rotella though)

if anyone tells you an oil is 'good' without showing you a used oil analysis report for the specific application you are discussion, nod and smile and make a mental note that person probably thinks anecdotal evidence is a great way to 'bring the tech' to a discussion

Naz, while I don't understand how to read the information (or perhaps I do, never seen it), that's the kind of evidence I'm looking for. I want to know why everyone thinks a certain oil is best.

How can you get these tests done, and how much do they cost?
example

of a used oil analysis. i use http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ costs around $20 each test

http://www.bobistheoilguy is a fantastic resource. search for wrx in the used oil analysis section

Congrats man! You wont be disappointed. :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,May 20 2008, 09:41 AM Wrote:Congrats man!  You wont be disappointed.  :D
[right][snapback]264663[/snapback][/right]
Thanks!

I sure hope not! I smile everytime I hear the turbo spooling up, it taunts me, Faster FASTER it says, Harder HARDER! I oblige nearly every time.
I think I've sighted about a good dozen Aero's on the streets now. And a couple of convertible ones too...

never realized how little attention I paid to Saab other than the occasional "they use the same car as xxxx"...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Aka,May 22 2008, 03:33 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,May 20 2008, 09:41 AM Wrote:Congrats man!  You wont be disappointed.  :D
[right][snapback]264663[/snapback][/right]
Thanks!

I sure hope not! I smile everytime I hear the turbo spooling up, it taunts me, Faster FASTER it says, Harder HARDER! I oblige nearly every time.
[right][snapback]264820[/snapback][/right]

Not sure if you have one, but theres a silencer hooked up on the intake on my WRX. I took mine off, turbo sound gets a lot louder in the cabin :D
don't take the silencer off if you have it. or at least make it so you can have the option to put it back on

if its your daily driver.. trust me on this one.. you do NOT want to make the car louder/more obnoxious.
A silencer is exactly what the top half of the stock Focus (05-08+) intake is... there's absolutely nothing to it but dampening for volume and empty space.

It (should) be fairly simple to remove and reinstall the resonator/silencer. Hell, I'd consider doing it for the truck (entirely different segment, but still).

If it floats your boat and makes you happy, do it!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
naz,May 22 2008, 11:53 AM Wrote:don't take the silencer off if you have it.  or at least make it so you can have the option to put it back on

if its your daily driver.. trust me on this one.. you do NOT want to make the car louder/more obnoxious.
[right][snapback]264869[/snapback][/right]

Its not that loud at all naz. Its actually perfect, should of came like that from factory....then again, im used to the borla on the focus and that is anything but quiet.
Flofocus,May 22 2008, 04:22 PM Wrote:Its not that loud at all naz.  Its actually perfect, should of came like that from factory....then again, im used to the borla on the focus and that is anything but quiet.
[right][snapback]264876[/snapback][/right]

they must have put in more sound proofing into the later year cars.

but you are right.. this is really a matter of preference.
darkpuppet,May 22 2008, 08:23 AM Wrote:I think I've sighted about a good dozen Aero's on the streets now.  And a couple of convertible ones too...

never realized how little attention I paid to Saab other than the occasional "they use the same car as xxxx"...
[right][snapback]264834[/snapback][/right]
I can tell you I never saw any until I bought mine. Now I see so many, there's even an identical one to mine driving around here. Dad said he kept waiving at "me" and I didn't waive back, then he realized it was a Chinese woman driving it lol

naz,May 22 2008, 11:53 AM Wrote:don't take the silencer off if you have it.  or at least make it so you can have the option to put it back on

[right][snapback]264869[/snapback][/right]
The Saab is sooo much quieter than my old car, I miss all the sounds. I didn't mind the noise, infact now I feel a bit bored when I'm not driving way too fast. However I don't want to make it loud loud. I just want to hear something. Wondering what sort of muffler I should buy for when I go stage 2, it's gotta move air, but I want it as quiet as possible, and not a big fart can.

There's more dampening in the Saab than a WRX as well.
Aka,May 22 2008, 06:20 PM Wrote:The Saab is sooo much quieter than my old car, I miss all the sounds. I didn't mind the noise, infact now I feel a bit bored when I'm not driving way too fast. However I don't want to make it loud loud. I just want to hear something. Wondering what sort of muffler I should buy for when I go stage 2, it's gotta move air, but I want it as quiet as possible, and not a big fart can.

There's more dampening in the Saab than a WRX as well.
[right][snapback]264887[/snapback][/right]

yea dude.. there is a crap load of soundproofing in a saabaru (and i guess '06+ wrx too??).. i heard that almost all of the weight gain is from sound proofing.

you want quiet exhaust with good sound that moves air? prodrive for sure man. the only thing 'bad' that ppl say it its too quiet.. and sounds like thats not a bad thing for you

buy the muffler fast.. its hard to get new ones these days.. and ppl buy up used ones fast as well. i'm sure you know this already but when you shop for exhaust stuff research the flanges to make sure they bolt up and know that some downpipes are long enough to delete the 3rd cat and some are not. basic stuff but could waste your money if you buy without thinking

EDIT: the reason the car is 'boring' if you don't drive way too fast.. its because a 2.0L wrx is slower than a stock civic when you aren't beating the crap out of it :)
I think it's boring because there's no drama. There's no sound when you accelerate except for the turbo, there's no sound when you downshift, there's no sound when you're cruising, there's no sound when you blip the throttle.

My NA 2.5 RS had lots of sounds, and it was terribly noisy inside in comparison, but I do miss those sounds. They were what made driving more or less normally, fun. I could give a little bit of throttle and hear the motor working, then let off and hear the sounds you'll only hear on an NA car out the exhaust (not like a back fire, but gas burning in the exhaust perhaps?). I do miss that.

Other things that make it feel boring when you're not on it, it's so much smoother, not Cadillac smooth (floating) but tons smoother. Before I started using cruise (nearly immediately) I found myself running upwards of 140 km/h on the highway before I even felt like I was moving, where the RS felt like it was doing 100 km/h at 100 km/h, it made it easy to judge speed.

This doesn't bother me so much, perhaps signs I'm getting a bit older, but I do miss them. And if I can get some of that back, just enough to give me a smile, I think that would be good.

I found it funny they placed foam around my spare tyre, I guess it makes sense, but I've never had a car, or been in a car that had that (or rather, been in a car enough to have checked the spare tyre).