Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mind The Rusting / Rotting Minivans!
So, I spent a week and a half in the Cambridge / KW area with my G/F and then we spent a few of those days around the Golden Horseshoe.

All in all we did just over 2000 KMs, ate lots of fast food, I met a lot of her family and we had a pretty damn good time!

Then there was the trip home. Cue the PoS minivan brigade.

We're N/B on the 400, just south of Major Mack, in the hammer lane. Traffic's doing 120+, easy. All of a sudden, a giant piece of black plastic (spray shield? serving platter?) flies off this van, comes spinning towards us like a Negative Zone prison for Zod and attempts to mate with the windshield.

I dodge right, but can only manage half a lane's width thanks to the rolling parking lot that is the 400. It strikes the driver's mirror assembly shattering the coloured upper half of the housing and then spins onward to places unknown.

After removing my heart from my throat, I see red. Buddy rabbits for Major Mack, I come up beside him... and now he's "leanin' back", hiding behind the door frame.

After realizing I was too pissed to have anything resembling a civil conversation with the dirtbag, I elected to let him go. Plus, I really need to program the OPP's number into my phone. That and I didn't want a trip to the ARC over a mirror at 8:00 at night.

So, without further ado, here's the pics:

[Image: th_DSC00213.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC00214.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC00217.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC00218.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC00219.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC00221.jpg]

It took me about an hour because that door panel was TIGHT (yay Mazda for wicked assembly quality!) and I wasn't going to rush it. Now I just have a few minor scratches to touch up and I'm good.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Lucky that you managed to dodge as much as you did. :blink:

Yeah I see this kind of stuff all the time and I wonder "How in the hell did that car/truck/minivan, pass the pre Scam Clean inspection?"

Then I remember, as long as the car passes the sniffer test, most garages could care less what kind of POS'es they let loose on the roads :ph34r:

Not to mention a certain expletive deleted back in '99 who couldn't tie down his ladder right causing me to swerve & launch :angry: :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,May 5 2008, 10:05 AM Wrote:After realizing I was too pissed to have anything resembling a civil conversation with the dirtbag, I elected to let him go. Plus, I really need to program the OPP's number into my phone. That and I didn't want a trip to the ARC over a mirror at 8:00 at night.[right][snapback]263579[/snapback][/right]
Wow, that's a shame Adam ... but I guess as with a lot of things like this, it could have been much worse - so good job.

Did you at least get his license number? You could write a letter to the cops which might cause them to at least go talk to the guy - and if you plan on an insurance claim (how much damage we talking about?) your insurance company might feel like going after him.

Anyway - best of luck and cheers.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
hey man.. that sucks. good job on the dodging

same thing happened to me in the WRX.. i was in the brooklyn battery tunnel which had those orange monster pylon things between lanes.. a SUV beside me decided to speed up and eat a few of the pylons and spit them out at me.. i mashed the brakes to avoid one (no swerving possible in a tight tunnel) but another squared my hood and left a dent/scratch.

SUCKS!

boo to bad drivers

glad you fixed it man.
When I had my CRX, a logger truck on the 401 lost a log. That was scary. smacked it pretty good, front end actually lifted of fthe ground....crazy.

Another time was in my fathers week old TDI. f*** he was pissed but not much I could have done. Something fell of a truck (again, 401, on the way to London) and hit the side making a nice dent and taking the side marker with it.

About $600 in damage on that one. :ph34r:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
OUCH! That totally sucks! Glad you got it fixed, mind you I guess the pocketbook didn't appreciate this one! Glad to hear your ok.
Flofocus,May 5 2008, 01:45 PM Wrote:When I had my CRX, a logger truck on the 401 lost a log.  That was scary.  smacked it pretty good, front end actually lifted of fthe ground....crazy.

Another time was in my fathers week old TDI.  f*** he was pissed but not much I could have done.  Something fell of a truck (again, 401, on the way to London) and hit the side making a nice dent and taking the side marker with it.

About $600 in damage on that one. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]263599[/snapback][/right]

A buddy of mine had a rock come off a logging truck and through his windshield. Fortunately, the hole in the windshield was at eye level, so he could still see enough to drive the rest of the way to school. T'was a mighty mess tho.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

if you got the plate number, you can file it with the OPP, just like ice flying off transport trucks, so long as you get the plate number they are traceable for damages they caused.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
G/F??? I thought you were/are married?

Am I missing something?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,May 6 2008, 07:53 PM Wrote:G/F???  I thought you were/are married?

Am I missing something?
[right][snapback]263721[/snapback][/right]

Uhhh ... yes ... yes you did.

NOS News
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
lol /\ maybe someone new thats what happenes when u post ur life on the net pple remember
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]